mention leave of absence on AMCAS or secondary only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had to withdraw from the semester due to personal reasons. Basically, I was dealt punch after punch...my grandfather passed and shortly after my mom had a stroke.

Nonetheless, I am going to be applying this upcoming cycle.

I was wondering if I should I mention anything on my AMCAS or just save it and explain on the secondaries only?

Members don't see this ad.

If you got all Ws, there is a space were you can explain it.

I've had to withdraw from the semester due to personal reasons. Basically, I was dealt punch after punch...my grandfather passed and shortly after my mom had a stroke.

Nonetheless, I am going to be applying this upcoming cycle.

I was wondering if I should I mention anything on my AMCAS or just save it and explain on the secondaries only?

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear that OP. I truly hope that your mother is doing better and things start to look up. Admission committees are often sensitive to these things and will understand, and this would fit well as a challenge that you had to overcome in most secondaries with that prompt, or at interviews if they ask about it. I hope you have a great cycle, and wish you luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the kind of words. There isn't a place on the AMCAS to specifically mention this aside from the Personal Statement.

So would it be better to include a detailed story, just a brief statement, or hold off completely and wait for the secondary?