Mention legacy in secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahed

Tilapia
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing my secondary essay on why I want to attend a certain school. I really love this school, its mission, and the city it's in (my home town).

BUT one reason I want to go there is that basically my entire (immediate and extended) family graduated from this school. Of most importance: My dad got his MD from their school of medicine and ended up teaching there later (retired now).

Is it okay to mention the family connection in my explanation? If I mention that my dad got his MD there will it come off wrong? I don't think I would mention that he taught there, because then it would definitely come off wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not ask your dad how he would interpret your answer? Every school is different. Some schools love legacies, some go out of their way to not give them an unfair advantage (I.e. good luck getting that interview). The best person you can ask this question, is someone who is intimately familiar with the school itself!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't forget to send them your deposit fee when you send in your primary.