Mention MCAT/GPA in closed-file interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Nov 17, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

So some interviews are closed or semi-open, in which the interviewer doesn't know your GPA or MCAT score.

In such interviews, do they tell you not to mention your grades or MCAT? And if not, is it a faux pas to say something like "I did very well as an undergrad, and it's reflected in my 45 MCAT score?"

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

there's a reason why they don't know your gpa and mcat score. i think it would be inappropriate to mention them unless directly asked a question about them. it also sounds rather arrogant in my opinion.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    when they want to know your GPA/MCAT, they'll look it up. In a closed-file interview, they want to get to know you, not your numbers. I think it would be a waste of time to discuss your numbers. I've interviewed at three schools so far - at one school (U of MN) the interviewer didn't have my numbers, and it never came up; at another (GW), the two interviews were closed file, and it never came up; at Wake Forest the 3 interviewers only had my AMCAS personal statement, and we never had time to get into numbers.

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    i've been on a handful of closed file interviews, and i've found it best to NOT mention stats at any point (i've been accepted to two closed filers, so take it for what you will). I think the gist of the closed file interview is that you are numerically competitive at their school, and they're trying to get an unbiased assessment of your personal demeanor. I've talked about things ranging from describing the relevance of my research to my thoughts on who will win the Super Bowl. I'd say only mention specific grades/test scores if you need to explain a bad semester or something that you didn't earlier in your application. I think the closer you keep an interview to a casual conversation as opposed to a formal exchange of information, the better.

my two cents :)

6. Street Philosopher

the topic of GPA or MCAT has NEVER come up at any of my interviews thus far (N=3). not even with other interviewees.

7. phinicky

phinicky Senior Member

I wouldn't bring up grades or MCAT scores. The point of a close file interview is learn about the applicant in ways that aren't indicated on the application. Just know your strengths, and stress that in the interview.

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

I had a number of closed file interviews last year and never brought it up. You probably look like a pretentious ass if you do. And besides, if that is all you can think to talk about, you will look quite foolish in the eyes of the interviewers.

9. mattie113

mattie113 totally awesome

Medical Student
  10. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

Yeah, don't! The whole point of the closed file interview is so that your interviewer isn't biased by your numbers. Besides... if they want to know they'll ask.

11. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

As has been said, very inappropriate to do so. Arrogance aside, there's a reason they don't know your scores. Why would you even ask? :p

-RA :)

12. exigente chica

ohh, I really hope that I get some closed interviews then...:laugh:

13. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member

certainly don't feel obligated to bring it up, but i've had a different experience. I went to one school with closed file interviews, and the first thing both interviewers asked was what's your MCAT and GPA. One of them even wanted my breakdown as to sci/overall GPA and section and writing scores on the MCAT!! Now, even though I have very good stats, I still felt this was totally weird and inappropriate. I think my experience was unique as none of the other interviewees even at that school said that happened to them and it happened to me twice. Just be prepared to talk about anything and at least have some explanation if you have some not so favorable stats. you never know. In case anyone's wondering, the school was Medical College of GA.

That said, I have not brought up my stats at other closed file interviews. I figured if they want know, they'll ask.