Quantcast

Mention or do not mention in letter of intent?

Free Sample Essays
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumbs

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to have been accepted to my top choice a few weeks ago. My boyfriend, however, is still waiting to hear back post-II. The school does not send out the WL until April 30th, so it's pretty much limbo until then. He has other acceptances but would 100% matriculate here if accepted.

Is it worth it for him to send the LOI now, or should he wait until the WL? He would definitely mention support system as one of the reasons this school is his #1 (it is in our hometown) but should he also mention me and the fact that I'm already accepted?

We are not currently engaged, but have dated most of college and plan to be married before med school ends. We want to be sure if he mentions me it would be taken seriously and not hurt his chances in any way.

Any advice is appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi, I advised a seriously-involved couple who are not married this cycle. I am much more familiar with how the process works for residency match as my main job is advising medical students at our school and I was a former Program Director at our institution. The process works relatively smoothly for residency, with the students getting some control over their destiny, and often program directors at a given institution work together to bring both people to the same place, if one half of the couple is desirable by a program and the other half is at least acceptable.

However, I found that medical schools, at least in the initial application process, seem to ignore relationships (especially those that do not include marriage.)

However, in your specific situation, now that you are accepted and your partner is waiting to hear, I DO think that they may consider 1) that the school is his hometown and 2) You are already accepted. So he should certainly send a letter of INTENT, (if school accepts those), with any substantial updates and should mention that you are partners and he is from that hometown as evidence of his intent. If he is just on cusp of getting an A or WL, these details MIGHT move him up a few positions. It will not move him substantially from a R to an A, but for those people who are scoring or ranking equivalently in the adcom's minds, they might just give him a slight boost. It does depend on the school as well and how egalitarian their adcom is - at tippy top places, there is not likely going to be any way to do this at this point in the game without ruffling feathers, but even at a tippy top place, these kinds of factors might get someone off the WL very late in the season when the schools themselves are desperate to fill their class. GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 user

lalalallala

Reaction score
I would say mention it but say significant other or something that properly shows the seriousness of the relationship. I would keep the bf's letter focused on how he meets the mission of the school and the curriculum/opportunities/culture line up with who he is and what he has done but I do think it is info they would want to know - and would show that he really would attend

Reactions: 1 user

On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell them you're pregnant and that he is the father.

Reactions: 1 users