Mention other acceptances in update letter/letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceroll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on sending an update letter to a school I interviewed at, and sending some letters of interest to schools that haven't responded at all. Should I mention that I have some acceptances and a merit scholarship offer already, but I'd be more interested in their programs because of xyz?

Members don't see this ad.

The most likely response will be "congrats and good luck there".

Hi,

I'm planning on sending an update letter to a school I interviewed at, and sending some letters of interest to schools that haven't responded at all. Should I mention that I have some acceptances and a merit scholarship offer already, but I'd be more interested in their programs because of xyz?

Reactions: 8 users
Hi,

This is tacky and will not achieve the desired result.
If you are eventually accepted and would not attend without $, go right ahead and let them know about the scholarship at the other school. Right now, this will not help your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is tacky and will not achieve the desired result.
If you are eventually accepted and would not attend without $, go right ahead and let them know about the scholarship at the other school. Right now, this will not help your case.
In such an event, is it appropriate to include the name of the school and specifics about cost or should we just inform them that there is another more viable financial option elsewhere and would like to know if there is a possibility of increasing our aid package here?

In such an event, is it appropriate to include the name of the school and specifics about cost or should we just inform them that there is another more viable financial option elsewhere and would like to know if there is a possibility of increasing our aid package here?
We will already know where you you are holding acceptances. We will already have a pretty good idea what they might be offering in terms of $. There is no need to go into details. A simple observation that you would prefer the school but for the cost differential is more than enough.

Reactions: 1 users
We will already know where you you are holding acceptances. We will already have a pretty good idea what they might be offering in terms of $. There is no need to go into details. A simple observation that you would prefer the school but for the cost differential is more than enough.
Thanks for the feedback! I have a couple more quick questions if you don't mind. When do schools see the other acceptances? It is my understanding that post April 30 we can only hold one acceptance. Can we remain on multiple wait lists at that time? If we come off the wait list, I'm assuming we have to decide immediately ? (24 hours?)

Thanks for the feedback! I have a couple more quick questions if you don't mind. When do schools see the other acceptances? It is my understanding that post April 30 we can only hold one acceptance. Can we remain on multiple wait lists at that time? If we come off the wait list, I'm assuming we have to decide immediately ? (24 hours?)
Last year we saw multiple accepts on February 15th.
Though you can hold only one acceptance after April 30th, you may stay on as many waitlists as you like.
You may get as long as two weeks to decide (in May) or as little as a weekend (in July).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Really? Other schools do know where else students are accepted into?
Is this true for DO schools as well?

Really? Other schools do know where else students are accepted into?
Is this true for DO schools as well?
Yes, AMCAS lets us know where the students we have accepted are holding in February. Several weeks later we can see where waitlisted candidates are holding acceptances. DO schools do not share acceptance information with us or each other.

Sorry to bump an old thread but its short and seemed like the best place to post. But just to confirm, is the consensus still to not mention other acceptances or scholarship information in an LOI? Would it ever be appropriate to mention a hefty scholarship to make an acceptance at bottom tier school comparable to a top 25? To show that were not just desperate applicants and genuinely want to attend the higher ranked school or would that appear foolish? I imagine such a statement would show a school that you really wanted to attend but would the admissions committee even care?