Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Mention Ph.D acceptance to MD schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yolony, Jul 21, 2006.

1. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm very curious and unsure about this.

Last year I applied to Ph.D. programs and was accepted to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.

I'm also applying to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.
    for medical school this year. I'm leaning towards mentioning this but I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts on this?

I interviewed with like 7-8 faculty from each school's college of medicine since I did biomedical science, so they might remember me.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only if you also let them know that you drive a Porsche Boxter and have a really hot spouse.

Just kidding. I don't think I'd point out to adcoms that you previously applied to Ph.D. programs, got as far as interviewing, had a choice of a number of acceptances, and then changed your mind. You now want to apply to med school, but you're sure this time. You see how it reads?

I wouldn't bring it up unless you're interviewing at schools where they already know you. In this case, you should have a good response to the question, "Why medicine? What is different in you this time around?"

4. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. You applied to several PhD programs, were accepted, but did not matriculate?

If that's the case, I fail to see how mentioning this will in anyway add support to your application. Because the same qualifications you used to earn those acceptances will be the same you use for your medical school application. Simply being accepted to a doctoral program without doing anything really means nothing in my opinion.

In fact, mentioning it may hurt you. Though that's not too likely.

5. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

That's exactly what I was thinking but I have a queasy feeling inside that if I get interviews at these schools, I might run into the same professors.. some of which might remember me.

Thanks

6. nozzie

nozzie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would only bring it up if that comes up during your interviews. And if it does, you can give them your reasons for why you made that transition. :luck:

7. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

Yea I think that's the plan. The main reason why I wanted to mention it was because I really loved URochester and Penn St. The professors were amazing, who I also enjoyed speaking with and got along with.

I guess it would have been part of my response to a question such as "Why us?"

8. the negative 1

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would be one thing if you were in the program now, but had decided you were not going to finish your PhD before entering med school and gave the adcoms the impression to the contrary.

Such a matter has come up several times before on these forums and the general consensus is that medical schools frown upon people who have invested a lot of time in graduate work but fail to complete their degree.

Fortunately, you're not in this situation.

9. the negative 1

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's always a way to spin things in your favor. Are you considering an MD/PhD program? Or perhaps still thinking about doing a PhD somewhere down the line?

10. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

No I'm strictly MD, I realized the Ph.D route wasn't for me.

Thanks for all the help.

11. nozzie

nozzie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you interested in doing research with any of them? That way, you can answer the why us question with b/c i am interested in such and such research and since Dr. so and so is an expert in that area, I am very interested in your school (obviously you would write it more eloquently than that but I think you get the point). By doing that, you won't have to mention that you applied to the PhD program at all :) .

12. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

In some cases I do want to do research with them, especially over the summer of 1st/2nd year but I doubt that would allow me to avoid the Ph.D. issue.

13. nozzie

nozzie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I meant that you won't have to mention it in your apps. If it comes up during interviews, then at least you can defend your position. But the choice is yours of course of where and when you want to mention it. Good luck :luck: !

14. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think you could mention it if it has to do with your changing career paths and if you have a story or reason for switching. that and a reason for applying but ultimately not matriculating. it can go either way, in terms of benefitting you and hurting you.

15. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I highly recommend that you adopt a policy of only divulging this information if asked. I would never advise anyone to lie on their applications or at their interviews; that is a huge no-no. However, unless you are explicitly asked about your grad school applications, keep your big trap shut. Don't go looking for trouble where none currently is present. Try to keep your MED SCHOOL interviews focused on the positive reasons about why you want to go to MED SCHOOL. Don't bring up extraneous outside info that might plant doubt in the adcom's mind about your motivation and dedication. You follow me here?

Best of :luck: with your apps. :)

16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with this, but in addition, I would say that if you do meet a staff member who knows you, you should talk about what made you realize you didn't want to go into a PhD program (you should spin it to show that you made a mistake, but now you are certain of your career path.) Once again, only do this is they inquire about your earlier PhD interviews.

Either way, best of luck...and don't look for trouble.
    -Dr. P.

17. as06

as06 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on this: I was accepted to a graduate program at one of the schools to which I'm applying for the MD/PhD (as opposed to the straight MD brought up by the OP) this year. I'm planning on mentioning my grad admission in one of the secondary essays, but I'm wondering if anyone strongly believes this is a bad idea. Thanks!

18. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also don't be sure that the staff member knows you. He might think he recognizes you or possibly remember your face but I would doubt it. You as the interviewee are probably much more likely to remember him than he is you. So don't think just because you run into the same person that you need to bring up and explain your not pursuing a PhD. If he brings it up explain yourself and move on, if not don't talk about it.