yolony

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm very curious and unsure about this.

Last year I applied to Ph.D. programs and was accepted to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.

I'm also applying to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.
for medical school this year. I'm leaning towards mentioning this but I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts on this?

I interviewed with like 7-8 faculty from each school's college of medicine since I did biomedical science, so they might remember me.

Thanks

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
yolony said:
Last year I applied to Ph.D. programs and was accepted to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.

I'm leaning towards mentioning this but I'm not so sure.
Only if you also let them know that you drive a Porsche Boxter and have a really hot spouse.

Just kidding. I don't think I'd point out to adcoms that you previously applied to Ph.D. programs, got as far as interviewing, had a choice of a number of acceptances, and then changed your mind. You now want to apply to med school, but you're sure this time. You see how it reads?

I wouldn't bring it up unless you're interviewing at schools where they already know you. In this case, you should have a good response to the question, "Why medicine? What is different in you this time around?"

the negative 1

Bovie to "war crimes" please
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Charm City
Status
Attending Physician
Let me see if I understand you correctly. You applied to several PhD programs, were accepted, but did not matriculate?

If that's the case, I fail to see how mentioning this will in anyway add support to your application. Because the same qualifications you used to earn those acceptances will be the same you use for your medical school application. Simply being accepted to a doctoral program without doing anything really means nothing in my opinion.

In fact, mentioning it may hurt you. Though that's not too likely.

About the Ads
OP
Y

yolony

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
the negative 1 said:
Let me see if I understand you correctly. You applied to several PhD programs, were accepted, but did not matriculate?

If that's the case, I fail to see how mentioning this will in anyway add support to your application. Because the same qualifications you used to earn those acceptances will be the same you use for your medical school application. Simply being accepted to a doctoral program without doing anything really means nothing in my opinion.

In fact, mentioning it my hurt you. Though that's not too likely.
That's exactly what I was thinking but I have a queasy feeling inside that if I get interviews at these schools, I might run into the same professors.. some of which might remember me.

Thanks

nozzie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
yolony said:
That's exactly what I was thinking but I have a queasy feeling inside that if I get interviews at these schools, I might run into the same professors.. some of which might remember me.

Thanks
I would only bring it up if that comes up during your interviews. And if it does, you can give them your reasons for why you made that transition. :luck:

OP
Y

yolony

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
nozzie said:
I would only bring it up if that comes up during your interviews. And if it does, you can give them your reasons for why you made that transition. :luck:
Yea I think that's the plan. The main reason why I wanted to mention it was because I really loved URochester and Penn St. The professors were amazing, who I also enjoyed speaking with and got along with.

I guess it would have been part of my response to a question such as "Why us?"

the negative 1

15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Charm City
Status
Attending Physician
yolony said:

Thanks
It would be one thing if you were in the program now, but had decided you were not going to finish your PhD before entering med school and gave the adcoms the impression to the contrary.

Such a matter has come up several times before on these forums and the general consensus is that medical schools frown upon people who have invested a lot of time in graduate work but fail to complete their degree.

Fortunately, you're not in this situation.

the negative 1

15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Charm City
Status
Attending Physician
yolony said:
Yea I think that's the plan. The main reason why I wanted to mention it was because I really loved URochester and Penn St. The professors were amazing, who I also enjoyed speaking with and got along with.

There's always a way to spin things in your favor. Are you considering an MD/PhD program? Or perhaps still thinking about doing a PhD somewhere down the line?

OP
Y

yolony

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
the negative 1 said:
There's always a way to spin things in your favor. Are you considering an MD/PhD program? Or perhaps still thinking about doing a PhD somewhere down the line?

No I'm strictly MD, I realized the Ph.D route wasn't for me.

Thanks for all the help.

nozzie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
yolony said:

Are you interested in doing research with any of them? That way, you can answer the why us question with b/c i am interested in such and such research and since Dr. so and so is an expert in that area, I am very interested in your school (obviously you would write it more eloquently than that but I think you get the point). By doing that, you won't have to mention that you applied to the PhD program at all :) .

OP
Y

yolony

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
Status
nozzie said:
Are you interested in doing research with any of them? That way, you can answer the why us question with b/c i am interested in such and such research and since Dr. so and so is an expert in that area, I am very interested in your school (obviously you would write it more eloquently than that but I think you get the point). By doing that, you won't have to mention that you applied to the PhD program at all :) .
In some cases I do want to do research with them, especially over the summer of 1st/2nd year but I doubt that would allow me to avoid the Ph.D. issue.

nozzie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
yolony said:
In some cases I do want to do research with them, especially over the summer of 1st/2nd year but I doubt that would allow me to avoid the Ph.D. issue.
I meant that you won't have to mention it in your apps. If it comes up during interviews, then at least you can defend your position. But the choice is yours of course of where and when you want to mention it. Good luck :luck: !

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i think you could mention it if it has to do with your changing career paths and if you have a story or reason for switching. that and a reason for applying but ultimately not matriculating. it can go either way, in terms of benefitting you and hurting you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
yolony said:
I'm very curious and unsure about this.

I'm also applying to URochester, UFlorida, Drexel and Hershey Medical Penn St.
for medical school this year. I'm leaning towards mentioning this but I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts on this?

I interviewed with like 7-8 faculty from each school's college of medicine since I did biomedical science, so they might remember me.

Thanks
I highly recommend that you adopt a policy of only divulging this information if asked. I would never advise anyone to lie on their applications or at their interviews; that is a huge no-no. However, unless you are explicitly asked about your grad school applications, keep your big trap shut. Don't go looking for trouble where none currently is present. Try to keep your MED SCHOOL interviews focused on the positive reasons about why you want to go to MED SCHOOL. Don't bring up extraneous outside info that might plant doubt in the adcom's mind about your motivation and dedication. You follow me here?

Best of :luck: with your apps. :)

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
QofQuimica said:
I highly recommend that you adopt a policy of only divulging this information if asked. I would never advise anyone to lie on their applications or at their interviews; that is a huge no-no. However, unless you are explicitly asked about your grad school applications, keep your big trap shut. Don't go looking for trouble where none currently is present. Try to keep your MED SCHOOL interviews focused on the positive reasons about why you want to go to MED SCHOOL. Don't bring up extraneous outside info that might plant doubt in the adcom's mind about your motivation and dedication. You follow me here?

Best of :luck: with your apps. :)
I agree with this, but in addition, I would say that if you do meet a staff member who knows you, you should talk about what made you realize you didn't want to go into a PhD program (you should spin it to show that you made a mistake, but now you are certain of your career path.) Once again, only do this is they inquire about your earlier PhD interviews.

Either way, best of luck...and don't look for trouble.
-Dr. P.

as06

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Houston
Status
Pre-Medical
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this: I was accepted to a graduate program at one of the schools to which I'm applying for the MD/PhD (as opposed to the straight MD brought up by the OP) this year. I'm planning on mentioning my grad admission in one of the secondary essays, but I'm wondering if anyone strongly believes this is a bad idea. Thanks!

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dr. Pepper said:
I agree with this, but in addition, I would say that if you do meet a staff member who knows you, you should talk about what made you realize you didn't want to go into a PhD program (you should spin it to show that you made a mistake, but now you are certain of your career path.) Once again, only do this is they inquire about your earlier PhD interviews.

Either way, best of luck...and don't look for trouble.
-Dr. P.
Also don't be sure that the staff member knows you. He might think he recognizes you or possibly remember your face but I would doubt it. You as the interviewee are probably much more likely to remember him than he is you. So don't think just because you run into the same person that you need to bring up and explain your not pursuing a PhD. If he brings it up explain yourself and move on, if not don't talk about it.

About the Ads