Mentioning anything remotely controversial in a Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notnotreggiebush

Reaction score
I spent a summer doing community service in Israel. I talked to an adcom and she mentioned at her school some adcoms will automatically throw out applications that mention anything that may go against their political views. This essay has nothing to do with politics, only mentioning Israel as a location where I worked with marginalized communities (autistic kids & people with disabilities). She still recommended against the topic. Is this something I should worry about applying to medical schools? Other adcoms thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent a summer doing community service in Israel. I talked to an adcom and she mentioned at her school some adcoms will automatically throw out applications that mention anything that may go against their political views. This essay has nothing to do with politics, only mentioning Israel as a location where I worked with marginalized communities (autistic kids & people with disabilities). She still recommended against the topic. Is this something I should worry about applying to medical schools? Other adcoms thoughts?

Agree with above. A location in itself should carry no political weight. And there is nothing inherently political about working with autistic and disabled children. If a school wants to turn that into something controversial, that tells you more than enough about the school and their administration in that you would be best served by not going there anyway.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, messed up if a school does that. If they want doctors who agree with their opinions more than ones who help marginalized populations, they have their priorities way out of wack.

Also, Israel rocks . Love going there

Reactions: 1 users
Go ahead and tell your story. You wouldn't want to go to a school run by anti-Semites anyway.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Go ahead and tell your story. You wouldn't want to go to a school run by anti-Semites anyway.

^^, I mentioned I'm not straight in most of my secondary's and while it sucks to maybe not get an II or A at a school because of that, it would probably be much worse going to a school where that happens

Reactions: 1 user