Mentioning Complementary and alternative medicine on secondary? Dangerous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artaxerxes

Leg Kicker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having seen an old thread where people vehemently attacked alternative medicine a quackery, I'm wondering if I should mention it in all those how are you diverse essays.

First off, I believe in the scientific method and scientific and expirmental basis of allopathic medicine. I am not attack an MDs or DO's out there (the same cannot be said the other way around). I have background in research and hard sciences. Moreover, I believe the value of CAMs should be determined through empirical research, which believe will find that some of the more established ones, such as TCM, are of benefit.

With that said, is it a good idea to mention that CAM exposure gives me a unique prespective of allopathic medicine, and that I blieve with proper research and study that CAM theories and practices can be reconciled with traditional allopathic practices?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you write your application essays better than you wrote this post. Otherwise it won't matter what you say about CAM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Seriously though, I didn't know what you wrote about on first glance either, OP.

It started out fine but then it became harder to read.

Your diversity essay can be about your quick temper. Bet most applicants won't be writing about that either.

most fighters and fighters in training have a quick temper

most fighters and fighters in training have a quick temper
That'd be great if you weren't about to enter into a service industry. At any rate, I think MDs will be skeptical. It depends on how you write about it though so try to make it clear that you believe in empirical research but that many cures have been derived from many natural remedies and further funding is needed.

That'd be great if you weren't about to enter into a service industry. At any rate, I think MDs will be skeptical. It depends on how you write about it though so try to make it clear that you believe in empirical research but that many cures have been derived from many natural remedies and further funding is needed.

I understand that it wasn't very clear, but frankly a lot of the attitude and sniping done on SDN really bothers me. Especially all the snide remarks made by dropkickMurphy who rarely contributes anything of substance.

That aside, most medical schools have have programs/departments that do EB(evidence based)CAM research through NIH grants. Some schools obviously have bigger programs, such is the case at Georgetown. So in this sense, by having CAM as a part of their educational curriculum, are those medical schools essentially recognizing the value that CAM could have allopathic medicine?

here's a portion of my essay for Tufts, which has a collaborative with NE acupuncture school working on EBCAM clinical research.

Another distinctive feature of my background is the exposure to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) through my family’s Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice. While having strong conviction in the benefits and practice of allopathic medicine, I also believe TCM practices can be valuable additions to allopathic medicine’s arsenal of treatments. The key to reconciling these two systems of medicines lies in the application of rigorous scientific method and experimental investigation to TCM. In doing so, the physical mechanisms of TCM can be uncovered and described in concise scientific terms.

I understand that it wasn't very clear, but frankly a lot of the attitude and sniping done on SDN really bothers me. Especially all the snide remarks made by dropkickMurphy who rarely contributes anything of substance.

That aside, most medical schools have have programs/departments that do EB(evidence based)CAM research through NIH grants. Some schools obviously have bigger programs, such is the case at Georgetown. So in this sense, by having CAM as a part of their educational curriculum, are those medical schools essentially recognizing the value that CAM could have allopathic medicine?

here's a portion of my essay for Tufts, which has a collaborative with NE acupuncture school working on EBCAM clinical research.

Another distinctive feature of my background is the exposure to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) through my family's Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice. While having strong conviction in the benefits and practice of allopathic medicine, I also believe TCM practices can be valuable additions to allopathic medicine's arsenal of treatments. The key to reconciling these two systems of medicines lies in the application of rigorous scientific method and experimental investigation to TCM. In doing so, the physical mechanisms of TCM can be uncovered and described in concise scientific terms.
I think that's fine but it seems more like a "why us" essay than a diversity essay since you're using it for a school that seems to share your interests in alternative medicine. Then again I guess the part about your family's practice makes it more about you. Make sure that the rest of your essay is clearer. You could even use this essay to kill two birds with one stone and use it for both types of prompts with some minor editing.

By the way, the problem with your first post and your last post is all the acronyms. Does NE mean New England? EBCAM? What's that? Try to explain these things to avoid sniping comments.

I think that's fine but it seems more like a "why us" essay than a diversity essay since you're using it for a school that seems to share your interests in alternative medicine. Make sure that the rest of your essay is clearer.

By the way, the problem with your first post and your last post is all the acronyms. Does NE mean New England? EBCAM? What's that? You have to explain these things to avoid sniping comments.

I mainly had the diversity coming from my knowledge of CAM theories, principles, and practice, which I believe is quite unique for most premed has you have pointed out don't even know what CAM is.

I mainly had the diversity coming from my knowledge of CAM theories, principles, and practice, which I believe is quite unique for most premed has you have pointed out don't even know what CAM is.
Yeah I read it again and I think it's a good response for a diversity question. It doesn't make you sound wacky which is important when even most first-generation Chinese kids don't believe in traditional remedies.

Especially all the snide remarks made by dropkickMurphy who rarely contributes anything of substance.

Just because you don't like the fact I don't give everyone a sunshine enema like apparently you think I should doesn't mean what I contribute doesn't have substance. Venom is a substance too. :smuggrin: Besides, someone has to smack you newbies upside the head with reality. You should be thankful that I'm doing rather than an ADCOM or an attending....

I reserve contributing the "substance" you want to when I'm dealing with fellow professionals, not a bunch of kids who have zero usable skills and no real experience to speak of yet. Especially not ones who have an attitude whilst their head is wedged firmly up their own ass.

I understand that it wasn't very clear, but frankly a lot of the attitude and sniping done on SDN really bothers me. Especially all the snide remarks made by dropkickMurphy who rarely contributes anything of substance.quote]

I wouldn't worry about anyone who has been here for less than two years to contribute nothing but post padding BS. He doesn't even realize that he is not different than the "ones who have an attitude whilst their head is wedged firmly up their own ass" that he describes.

The subjects of CAM and TCM are legitimate. People all over the world including the USA are using them. This is especially true in the State of California. I heard of a few doctors who were desperate in their own illnesses used them. Some healthy ones promote them too. You only need to make sure that adcoms can catch up with you though.

BTW, as soon as I read the first reply to you, I immediately did spelling and grammar check. All I can say is that I don't need to learn from a bull that his **** is a good fertilizer. I'd rather have some steak instead.

BTW, as soon as I read the first reply to you, I immediately did spelling and grammar check. All I can say is that I don't need to learn from a bull that his **** is a good fertilizer. I'd rather have some steak instead.

What does that even mean? I'm so confused.

What does that even mean? I'm so confused.

Have you checked the spelling and grammar in the opening post? I was surprized to see the result. Although the first reply is correct, it just bursts this thread into flame.

I insist that a lot of people use CAM and TCM. The OP is smart to take advantage of the current upcoming trend.

The rest of my post doesn't deserve to confuse you. Interprete it anyway you wish or just dump it.