Mentioning faculty in "why us" question of supplemental app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango4193

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to mention specific faculty in the "why this school" question. There is a specific faculty member whose interests I've heard align with my own from current students, so would it be beneficial to mention her name and why I would want to learn from her? I know this is beneficial for grad schools but not sure how it goes over with dental programs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is fine to write about as long as there is some substance behind the reasoning. However, if you heard from students that shes a fun professor and a great class, or something like that, that is not really a reason. Mentioning faculty for grad school is common because people work under the same person for 4-5 years for a PhD, not too similar to taking 1-2 classes in a semester from a dental professor. There are so many good things to talk about when answering "why this school" that I would be careful not to waste the opportunity for a great response.

Does she know you exist? If not, that can get awkward real quick...