Mentioning greek life on apps, at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rina33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea whether or not it is wise to include sorority membership on an application to medical school? I hesitate to even mention that I was in a sorority for three years because of the negative connotations that often surround Greek life (constant partying, lack of responsibility etc.) On the other hand, it shows a well-roundedness and effort for social life that many pre-meds lack. I have not been overly involved in my sorority (it does not guide my undergrad life by any means) but I have participated in it and lived in the house for three years. A friend of mine felt her membership was received quite negatively at interviews. Just curious...is Greek life a help or a hindrance to med school admission? Or does it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I was more the proud to put my fraternity on the application (even though we are currently not in good standing with our University due to last semester's fatal event...). Especially if you ahve been active in it then put it on there. I got asked about my fraternity experience once. ANother Greeek got asked to sing a song or explain somethign from teh fraternity or sorority such as mascots and stuff like that.

So put it on there and you might be given the chance to talk about it in an interview.

I don't see why you wouldn't put it on there. It shows commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mentioned it at my NYMC interview as an extreme negative. Actually I was black-balled the first night of hell week after 8 weeks of pledging.

I wouldn't mention it if your going up aroung the western New York area. They are going to bring some greek up on murder charges. (Maybe)

Unless it wasa professional Frat or Sorority, I wouldn't mention it.

Good Luck

AK

Welcome to SDN! :D

Since it was my only EC first semester frosh year, I put it down. I wrote that it taught me sisterhood and leadership, and I discussed our medically related philanthropies (cystic fibrosis and anorexia). I was NOT asked about it at interviews so far, and I have no idea if it can help or hurt you. Make sure to put it down in a way that makes it look more like an academic club with social events and not a party thing. It won't hurt you that way. And don't forget to list leadership positions from it, that always helps!

I did a search on this a while ago and found some useful info, since people asked this same question this time last year. So try it!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
•I mentioned it at my NYMC interview as an extreme negative. Actually I was black-balled the first night of hell week after 8 weeks of pledging.

•••••maybe that's why I haen't receied an interview form NYMC! Other people with similar stats to me have received interviews there, and I am originally form that area too! What's teh deal? Do you think being in a sorority could dissuade them from interviewing me?

Another note, my college does not recognize frats and sororities. If a cetain professor found out, she would fail you (rumor). I'm sure adcom people could have this same feeling. It may be bettter not to mention it at all on second thought. I'm interested to see what peopel from the northeast did if they were in this situation.

Doctor Foxy

I have received an interview there.

During the interview I said there is no way that I could have gotten my 3.78 GPA and had so many ECs if I was accepted to the Frat.

It probably won't dissuade them from interviewing you. I just meant that shouldn't be the most positive thing to mention.

Sorry about the confusion

AK

I mentioned it on my app. I think if you can integrate it with something positive that you learned it can be helpful. For me, I held a vice president position and it really helped me get over my shyness with public speaking. See what I mean? I don't think using it in that way gives off a negative impact at all.

Like everything else on the AMCAS app. put down the experience if it was meaningful and beneficial to you. If you spent four years getting knowck down drunk every weekend then no. If you put effort into the sorority (i.e. committee chair, exec., etc.) then yes. Peace.

Being Greek is more than just partying and having fun. I'm sure you did some philanthropic things through your sorority. Also, put down any offices you held or if you were a chair of some interest group or what not. If that's something you were involved in (i think you said 3 years) for such a long duration, there's nothing to be ashamed about unless your GPA is very crappy b/c of your involvement.

i wouldn't if it was a social type of sorority. i wouldn't even if it was professional but acted as a social thing. i'm sure you have more worthy things to include in your application.
in your list of frat assumptions you can include higher chance of cheating, higher chance of binge drinking and alcoholism, etc. those are both facts by the way.

I put down my greek experience in my application. And my chapter did a lot of positive things that I was very proud of. Some of my interviewers were impressed when I told them about inviting 50 inner city high school kids to spend a weekend at columbia, attend classes and workshops about further education and the fundraising efforts that was necessary to do an event like this. So anyway, I mentioned it and did not have any problems and backlash.

I wrestled with this question for a long time and decided against putting it in my app. I agree the negative connotations in some people's minds were not worth having my app land in their lap....in retrospect I am not sure it really matters...

I put it on mine. I think it's a good idea, especially if you held offices. I believe my various offices showed my leadership abilities, as well as the fact my chapter had confidence in me to fulfill my duties.

GO Alpha O!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rina33:
•Does anyone have any idea whether or not it is wise to include sorority membership on an application to medical school? I hesitate to even mention that I was in a sorority for three years because of the negative connotations that often surround Greek life (constant partying, lack of responsibility etc.) On the other hand, it shows a well-roundedness and effort for social life that many pre-meds lack. I have not been overly involved in my sorority (it does not guide my undergrad life by any means) but I have participated in it and lived in the house for three years. A friend of mine felt her membership was received quite negatively at interviews. Just curious...is Greek life a help or a hindrance to med school admission? Or does it even matter?•••••I put my fraternity on my application under the extras section. It didn't hurt me and it wasn't brought up in any of my interviews. PM me if you want more details. What sorority were you in?

i put my sorority down in my app, but i wasn't asked about it at any interviews. i think involvement in a greek organziation shows commitment, especially if you held a leadership position. a very good friend of mine was actually given the "secret handshake" by her interviewer at UCLA who turned out to be a member of the same sorority! she didn't get in, but it just goes to show that you never know!

I put that I was in a fraternity, and I made sure to point out all of the leadership positions I held in the house in 4 years there. It has come up in two interviews, with one interviewer specifically asking me, "How will being in a fraternity help you to become a better doctor?" It was an easy question to answer, because I think my fraternity has been instrumental in helping me to develop leadership and communication skills that I will use throughout my life as a physician.