Mentioning lack of research in secondaries: to do or not to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent145231

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 523 and a ~3.8, 300 clinical volunteering, 90 non-clinical, and I spend a lot of time learning Vietnamese + taking Vietnamese courses (listed as extracurricular with 300 hours). However, I have absolute no research (and also not really leadership).

I asked for a school list in the WAMC forum and was told I could try my luck at schools like Duke, WashU, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Rochester, etc. However, I'm filling out secondaries now and am starting to feel sort of stupid about not having research. I did try to do research, but I went to a really huge school with not as much research to match and just never had any luck. I didn't decide on the pre-med route until fairly late in the game so I didn't have a lot of time to look. If I really wanted to, I think I could've tried super hard and gotten a position somewhere, but it didn't happen. Also, I did have some really strong leads on starting research before covid happened.

I would absolutely try my hardest to do research before matriculation if it will help me.

I understand the idea of not dwelling on my app's weaknesses, but is it okay for me to say I'm going to look for research before matriculation? Should I say that I have an interest in it, or will they think I'm lying because I haven't actually done any? What are the odds I score any points for doing this? Will schools try to tell me I need to apply again after the gap year if I say I'm going to explore research interests?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't draw attention to a negative aspect of your app.

Reactions: 3 users
Some schools care about research to an extent, some school's don't care as much. Lack of it won't necessarily break your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 523 and a ~3.8, 300 clinical volunteering, 90 non-clinical, and I spend a lot of time learning Vietnamese + taking Vietnamese courses (listed as extracurricular with 300 hours). However, I have absolute no research (and also not really leadership).

I asked for a school list in the WAMC forum and was told I could try my luck at schools like Duke, WashU, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Rochester, etc. However, I'm filling out secondaries now and am starting to feel sort of stupid about not having research. I did try to do research, but I went to a really huge school with not as much research to match and just never had any luck. I didn't decide on the pre-med route until fairly late in the game so I didn't have a lot of time to look. If I really wanted to, I think I could've tried super hard and gotten a position somewhere, but it didn't happen. Also, I did have some really strong leads on starting research before covid happened.

I would absolutely try my hardest to do research before matriculation if it will help me.

I understand the idea of not dwelling on my app's weaknesses, but is it okay for me to say I'm going to look for research before matriculation? Should I say that I have an interest in it, or will they think I'm lying because I haven't actually done any? What are the odds I score any points for doing this? Will schools try to tell me I need to apply again after the gap year if I say I'm going to explore research interests?

If you're really bothered by it and genuine in your desire to do research, look into labs you can join, and after you've secured a position and done some hours there, update your schools. Saying that you're looking now won't score you any points, but it will draw attention to a deficit.

First of all, research is not required for entry into Medical School. Even the research wh.., um, sex workers can give you a pass depending upon how good the rest of your application is.

Next never draw attention to a negative, and do not apologize for anything. It doesn't come across his looking good

Thank you for the reply. I'm less concerned about getting in at all and more concerned about my shot at mid tier and high tier schools.

Thank you for the reply. I'm less concerned about getting in at all and more concerned about my shot at mid tier and high tier schools.

Make sure this attitude doesn't come across on secondaries or else the worry will be about the former

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Pitt is a research-heavy school, just FYI, but you may still try your luck. If you don't have research experience, maybe you can indicate your interest in doing research in the future in the secondaries.

Definitely several of my schools are pretty research heavy. I'm still not 100% sure what to do, because I have a lot of people saying I should avoid bringing it up, and a few others saying I can express interest in it. Is it okay to say I'm interested? Should I just try to do that in a way that doesn't draw attention to my lack of it?