Mentioning MCAT Tutoring in Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plepand12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an MCAT tutor for a private company--should I mention this in my secondaries when schools ask what activities I am doing this upcoming year? Or will this be looked upon negatively by adcoms since the companies do charge ridiculous prices to students and it may be seen as unethical?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m interested on their opinion because I did list it as an activity on my activities log

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't do much for me, although employment is always good.

Better to have service to others.
Do schools ask how much they are making as tutor?

They shouldn't but wondering given there are some who do it free and also serve the others motto.
Nah -- you're hung up on OP's comment that it might be viewed negatively because some companies charge a lot. Honestly, that is neither here nor there, because tutors working for companies are paid based on the market for tutors, not based on how much the company charges the student!

Given how much schools charge to submit a secondary, and how many of them are tossed aside with a very cursory review, they are hardly in a position to moralize about the ethics of pricing application services (i.e., if they wanted to take the moral high road, they could do a more thorough job of screening primaries, and not use secondaries as, in words of one wise SDNer, "a tax on the hopelessly optimistic or pathologically clueless," in order to help finance their admissions office operations). :)

Nah -- you're hung up on OP's comment that it might be viewed negatively because some companies charge a lot. Honestly, that is neither here nor there, because tutors working for companies are paid based on the market for tutors, not based on how much the company charges the student!

Given how much schools charge to submit a secondary, and how many of them are tossed aside with a very cursory review, they are hardly in a position to moralize about the ethics of pricing application services (i.e., if they wanted to take the moral high road, they could do a more thorough job of screening primaries, and not use secondaries as, in words of one wise SDNer, "a tax on the hopelessly optimistic or pathologically clueless," in order to help finance their admissions office operations). :)
But it's sellers market :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users