Mentioning Military Intentions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cavalier329

I know many schools accept students with the hopes that they will practice within the community some day. However, I feel like one of my own personal duties is to serve my country, which is something I have delayed to become a doctor.

Now I want to join those two paths and serve my country as a doctor through either USUHS or the scholarship. Will it hurt my chances if i mention that I intend to do this in essays or during interviews keeping in mind that the goal of the school may be to train doctors to serve that area/state?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not seen it hurt although you might not have great luck with state funded schools that have a mission statement that specifies the care of the residents of that state. On the other hand, every state has residents who are serving in the military and the needs are great.

Some schools may actually see your interest in the military as a plus as it means you'll need little (if any) financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cbrons-the school in Bethesda is USUHS. I will be applying there, however, it is the only school if its kind.

Lizzy M, thank you for your insight. Military service is very important to me and it is something that I will definitely try for once accepted into a medical program. In high school I was ready to sign enlistment papers until the recruiter encouraged me to go to college and do ROTC instead. Once in college, I decided ROTC wasn't right for me because if I didn't get accepted into med school the first time I applied, there would be little opportunity to improve my application for the next cycle since I would be out in the fleet.
So this decision has been a long time coming and now I am excited that I will be able to do both.

I am a NYS resident so many of the schools I will be applying to are state funded. Do you think I should go for it anyway, or should I only apply to schools with a mission statement that does not indicate an intent to train doctors for their area?

I don't want to not mention my intentions because I think it is a bit ridiculous to have to be dishonest about me wanting to serve our country as a doctor. I suppose I am looking for the best way to apply where I can comfortably maintain my integrity and freely discuss intentions.

Cbrons-the school in Bethesda is USUHS. I will be applying there, however, it is the only school if its kind.

Lizzy M, thank you for your insight. Military service is very important to me and it is something that I will definitely try for once accepted into a medical program. In high school I was ready to sign enlistment papers until the recruiter encouraged me to go to college and do ROTC instead. Once in college, I decided ROTC wasn't right for me because if I didn't get accepted into med school the first time I applied, there would be little opportunity to improve my application for the next cycle since I would be out in the fleet.
So this decision has been a long time coming and now I am excited that I will be able to do both.

I am a NYS resident so many of the schools I will be applying to are state funded. Do you think I should go for it anyway, or should I only apply to schools with a mission statement that does not indicate an intent to train doctors for their area?

I don't want to not mention my intentions because I think it is a bit ridiculous to have to be dishonest about me wanting to serve our country as a doctor. I suppose I am looking for the best way to apply where I can comfortably maintain my integrity and freely discuss intentions.

I am currently on the HPSP scholarship. I started considering it early in the application process and mentioned it at most of my interviews. Several times, I was interviewed by former service members, so it was positively received. If you can explain your motivations and show that you've thought this through, I don't see how it could be counted against you.

On an unrelated note, you might want to check out the military medicine forums before you commit to USUHS or a HPSP scholarship. It's always good to have perspective of those that have been there. Most of the feedback is negative, but it's better to make the decision knowing what you'll be getting into.

I've had several interviewers tell me that I should serve in the military (since they previously served). I can't imagine it not being well received.

Yea, Ive read through a bunch of those and saw a lot of negativity as well. Good news is I still want it. Ive been in touch with a few military docs as well and it still is something I want.

Thanks for the advice so far! If the current stress of everything else wasn't enough!

Yea, Ive read through a bunch of those and saw a lot of negativity as well. Good news is I still want it. Ive been in touch with a few military docs as well and it still is something I want.

Thanks for the advice so far! If the current stress of everything else wasn't enough!

Just wanted to make sure you were aware. :)