DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would you mention being in the guard/reserves on an application to residency, fellowship, grad school, etc?

And if so, would you simply leave it at that or include a statement that the program you are obligated under protects you from deployment while you're in training?

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Would you mention being in the guard/reserves on an application to residency, fellowship, grad school, etc?
For residency applications, it's a very specific question on ERAS. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of "Are you in the military in any capacity (including Guard or Reserves)?" There's a second question specific to folks with full-time obligations post-residency (e.g.: HPSP).

I've been on 8 interviews so far this season and it only came up at one interview, and that was a question in the context of my research, which was done with veterans in mind.
And if so, would you simply leave it at that or include a statement that the program you are obligated under protects you from deployment while you're in training?
On ERAS, there is a free form text box giving you the opportunity to explain your military involvement. I explained that I was on "flexi-training" in the National Guard in which I drill once every 3 months with flexible scheduling and am non-deployable.