*Mentioning Myers Briggs personality type in my secondary?*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lickerwhicker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't even know what INFP means, nor do I care. There's a good chance I'm not the only one. Rather than placing a label on yourself, give an example of how being an INFP can help you in medicine. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just being honest. I've read a lot of personal statements from people applying for residency this past year, keep it short and succinct. Trust me on this. Cheers.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't, it's cringe. No offense

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"As an INFP, I am very in touch with my emotions [/QUOTE]

I would recommend against for 2 reasons. I agree that I also don't understand the reference so perhaps it is a little esoteric making me worry that you might come off as removed. Perhaps more importantly imo I don't think that you want to describe yourself as itw your emotions. It strikes me
As too much of a cliche from the 1970s. I think that you may find a better
Way to describe yourself. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Don't. Many physician think it's BS.

Reactions: 1 users
Psychological research shows Myers-Briggs is basically a fancy horoscope. It can be fun but that's it. I would think it shows bad judgement to seriously use it in a professional/academic setting.

So I'm kind of obsessed with Myers Briggs personality types, and I wanted to briefly mention mine in one of my secondary essays. It would only be like a couple of words, such as "As an INFP, I am very in touch with my emotions blah blah" or something like that. Is it okay to do this or should I just not do it at all? Lol thanks!!
Don't do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Interestingly enough, there's a Meyers Briggs question on UF's secondary

So I'm kind of obsessed with Myers Briggs personality types, and I wanted to briefly mention mine in one of my secondary essays. It would only be like a couple of words, such as "As an INFP, I am very in touch with my emotions blah blah" or something like that. Is it okay to do this or should I just not do it at all? Lol thanks!!
What does mentioning the INFP add to that sentence?

Also, the MBTI is not s valid psychological test. It's basically a horoscope and should be used for fun only. (Sorry, I had this thread open for a while before o responded, didn't see some of the earlier posts until later.)

um, if you want my opinion which seems to be different from those on here I'd say as long as you make it sound good it wouldn't hurt. I agree you should talk more about actual instances of your personality affecting your behavior from things you've done (volunteering, other EC's) and how your personality "shaped" how you handled a situation etc.

the fact that most posters on this don't even seem to be familiar with what youre talking about calls into question their credibility and suggests they have never taken an intro to psych course

Last edited:
Too risky....it's like adding your astrological sign.

I am an INFP and I'm on the cusp of virgo and libra. I like people and bird watching. My favorite color is aqua and I hope to someday discover the cure for SAD.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
um, if you want my opinion which seems to be different from those on here I'd say as long as you make it sound good it wouldn't hurt. I agree you should talk more about evidence of your personality from things you've done and how your personality "shaped" how you handled a situation etc.

the fact that most posters on this don't even seem to be familiar with what youre talking about calls into question their credibility and suggests they have never taken an intro to psych course

Any evidence for this personality system?

This is literally Reddit drivel.

Any evidence for this personality system?
I edited my post to make more clear what I was saying

I'm not saying MB has empirical evidence to support it - however, we all definitely do have these things called "personalities" that make an individual's behavior predictable at least to some extent. whether that extent is large or small may be up for debate but it's all a matter of probability anyway. OP says he understands his personality and knows what that means for the decisions he'll make and how it will affect his behavior. this is probably a good skill for a physician or really anyone to have

Don't mention your Myers-Briggs personality type. It's not helpful to your application.

I am an INFP and as an INFP this is not a very INFP thing to do, maybe if you were those ENTJ weirdos.

Reactions: 6 users
I edited my post to make more clear what I was saying

I'm not saying MB has empirical evidence to support it - however, we all definitely do have these things called "personalities" that make an individual's behavior predictable at least to some extent. whether that extent is large or small may be up for debate but it's all a matter of probability anyway. OP says he understands his personality and knows what that means for the decisions he'll make and how it will affect his behavior. this is probably a good skill for a physician or really anyone to have
Ok, but it's a bad idea to explain your personality in an essay using an initialism from an unreliable personality quiz.

Buzzfeed says I should study biology but if an application asks me about my major, I'm not going to use that in my reasoning.

^agreed with above. If I saw someone who mentioned their Myers-Brigg personality type on an application, I'm pretty much immediately rejecting them based on principle. People who talk about their MB type are usually weirdos.

I'm vaguely familiar with Myers Briggs but I mostly found it annoying and I've long since forgotten what INFP means.

I don't think mentioning it specifically does you any favors. What WOULD be useful is utilizing whatever information you've gleaned from this obsession to improve your essays-- without using the phrase "INFP," how are you a person who will turn into a good physician?

Myers-Briggs is just astrology for people who think they're too good for astrology. Please don't put this on your application.

To be honest with you, it would be as effective as posting a link to your tinder profile. Most people in psychiatry, for example, don't take this test seriously.

I am an INFP and as an INFP this is not a very INFP thing to do, maybe if you were those ENTJ weirdos.

In my one I did in psych I was ENTJ. I have no idea what ENTJ is but I am personally offended. I hope the mods do with you what they will and this is a direct and personal attack on me.

In my one I did in psych I was ENTJ. I have no idea what ENTJ is but I am personally offended. I hope the mods do with you what they will and this is a direct and personal attack on me.

This is very entj of you

I'd like to posit that I'm INTJ so, from my perspective, you all are simple plebs. Good day.

yeah i was actually really iffy about mentioning it in my essays since it seemed pretty unnecessary and out of place, so im glad other people agree that it's not a good idea to put it in haha :p thanks everyone!

I'd like to posit that I'm INTJ so, from my perspective, you all are simple plebs. Good day.
upload_2017-6-25_20-48-0.png

Ayyy there's my INTJ mate~

Back to OP's question. No, don't put it in your app.

To be honest with you, it would be as effective as posting a link to your tinder profile. Most people in psychiatry, for example, don't take this test seriously.
I spent a lot of time making my Tinder profile, I think I'll do it!