Mentioning other acceptances in letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunhorse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it good to mention other acceptances or merit scholarships when sending letters of intent to other medical schools?? I have a merit scholarship at a top10 med school but really wanna go to another one that I interviewed at. I'm thinking of including in my letter the fact I would prefer their school even though I could go somewhere else for free. This could highlight my dedication to their school but might come off arrogant. What do you think???...... Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Be very careful how you word your statement. I personally did this same thing (excluding finances) to one school, and it had a positive response. Either way, they will reject or accept you irrespective to what other schools have chosen. Be very careful with your presentation and wording, and if you cannot word it such that it is acceptable, say simply that they are your top choice and you will withdraw from all of you other (unnamed) acceptances in favor of them. It is more easy for this to be arrogant than favorable; no matter what, you do not want to insinuate that another school is better than them.

Be very careful how you word your statement. I personally did this same thing (excluding finances) to one school, and it had a positive response. Either way, they will reject or accept you irrespective to what other schools have chosen. Be very careful with your presentation and wording, and if you cannot word it such that it is acceptable, say simply that they are your top choice and you will withdraw from all of you other (unnamed) acceptances in favor of them. It is more easy for this to be arrogant than favorable; no matter what, you do not want to insinuate that another school is better than them.

Thank you~ ... how would you word it though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it good to mention other acceptances or merit scholarships when sending letters of intent to other medical schools?? I have a merit scholarship at a top10 med school but really wanna go to another one that I interviewed at. I'm thinking of including in my letter the fact I would prefer their school even though I could go somewhere else for free. This could highlight my dedication to their school but might come off arrogant. What do you think???...... Thanks! :oops:

Just be prepared for them to tell you to go to the other school.

I did. I was very vague, though. I just said "Despite acceptances at other institutions, _____ remains my top choice."

First, thank them for being placed on the waitlist...what an honor bla bla bla...don't seem annoyed! then up front, you can say very clearly... "If accepted from the waitlist at University of X Medical School, I will matriculate." then tell a little story about how wonderful a match you are for their program... I would not mention other schools. they know, don't they?

Last edited: