SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Mentioning other acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Suaveness, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Suaveness

Suaveness Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I had a question about a certain Med school I've applied to. I had my interview in November, but I still haven't heard back from them. My MCAT wasn't too good, so I figured it would take awhile, but I don't know if some of you out there got acceptances past this date.

I wanted to send an email/letter to the med school dean saying how I was still interested very much. I was recommended to mention in that letter how I got into a PhD prgram at that school on my own(a good one). I would go on to mentino how I was interested in MDPhD, and to see his opinion/advice on that. Do you think it is a good idea that I mention that at all? Would it help/hurt my acceptance

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I think March is kind of late to express an interest in an MD/PhD if you didn't apply specifically to that route already. And mentioning a non-medical school acceptance seems like it may look like you're not really committed to the whole doctor thing. Just my $0.02.

4. Scottish Chap

Scottish Chap Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 3, 2003
    I think it's a very bad idea to use an offer of admission to a graduate program as a bargaining chip for medical school admission. I'd have a hard time believing that the person giving that advice is involved in medical school admissions. Clearly, each program has a very different goal and the training is vastly different. It will make it look as though you are not committed to either, IMHO. If you send an update letter, try to include new information that is consistent with a career in medicine and emphasize how your own background is uniquely consistent with the goals of the medical school in question.

5. Suaveness

Apr 10, 2006
    Even if I had interest in MDPhD, you don't think it'd be a good idea?

6. Scottish Chap

Aug 3, 2003
    It's clear which program is more selective. The goal of MD/PhD is not the same as the goal for PhD. You mention that the school you gained PhD admission to is a "good" one (congrats, by the way!), so it's clear that this is a bargaining chip. I think it's a very, very bad idea, and I think that any adcom will see right through it. They deal with thousands of cases like this every year.

7. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    No

8. Suaveness

Apr 10, 2006
    I was curious, because it was suggested to me by someone. I wanted to send a letter saying that I was still interested, because I haven't heard from them, but I wasn't sure if I should mention that I had gotten into the PhD program.

9. Suaveness

Apr 10, 2006
    Anyone else with advice on this?

And also, is it ok that I haven't heard anything from a med school? I had my interview and all, but no word.

10. AnEyeLikeMars

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    Definitely send a update letter or letter of intent if you feel strongly about the school. They're not going to care that you got into a PhD program, just like they wouldn't care if you got into a different medical school. In fact, letting them know you're applying to both MD and PhD programs might be a bad thing (they might wonder about your committment to medicine).

11. Scottish Chap

Aug 3, 2003
    Exactly.

12. Suaveness

Apr 10, 2006
    Ok I've been convinced not to mention PhD. I didn't think it a good idea either, but I figured I'd ask.

Next question: As for the letter of intent/interest, is it ok to send one before I hear my verdict, as well as after (if I am waitlisted?). I mean, 2 of them wouldn't hurt, would it?

13. AnEyeLikeMars

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    Definitely send something before you hear something, maybe it will help. It's another piece of information for them to use when they review your app. If you get waitlisted, it's okay to send another letter, but make sure you're saying something new. Sending basically the same letters two weeks apart won't be helpful.