Mentioning published fiction on applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turambar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm told that I have a talented for writing, and I've had teachers in the past recommend that I seek authorship in literary publication but I have yet to submit any serious work. In my creative process I channel stress and anxiety unfiltered by stream-of-consciousness and I'd describe anything I produce as transgressive, at times disturbing. Themes of violence, sexuality and drug use are like bread and butter, and I say "****" a lot. If this earns me a dime, I'd be thrilled. If I achieved something greater and got recognition publicly, I'd wonder whether I ought to conceal it.

Would it be unwise to mention this in applications? Is that sort of eyebrow-raising material unwelcome, even if done in a tasteful (or at least vaguely artistic) manner? Should I employ a pseudonym? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how square are they?

Members don't see this ad.

In my freshman year, I published a fiction story in a short story collection of some sort. I won't mention it in my apps. But if its something that you think is part of you and builds character, I say go for it... I say maybe a pseudonym is too much. Try thinking how this would make you a better doctor....

I'd say that would be a great entry in the hobbies section. Creative writing, not to mention publishing a book, is awesome and definitely a stand out quality in my book.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I shouldn't worry about the more personal adult themes? Am I just fearful that people in general won't appreciate my ideas, or is there a possibility that writing something shocking could be harmful to my professional reputation when applying to medical schools?

So I shouldn't worry about the more personal adult themes? Am I just fearful that people in general won't appreciate my ideas, or is there a possibility that writing something shocking could be harmful to my professional reputation when applying to medical schools?
Adcoms are made up of adults. I suppose if you applied to a religious school with a strong conservative background then it could hurt you to bring up but their are only two schools in the nationa that I can think are like that.

Reactions: 1 users
Again think of how it would benefit you as a future physician. This is just an example:
maybe writing about violence and drug use educated you about certain areas in the country that are heavy in those topics. Therefore, with this special opportunity, you maybe want to practice in those areas or volunteer in a clinic with alcoholic rehab services or smth like that....
Just my thoughts. Always try to relate things to what you want to do in the future. Also remind yourself why you wanted to go into medicine in the first place.

Best of luck OP

Thanks, guys. I couldn't land a research position this Summer so I think that I ought to have some time on my hands between work/volunteering/CC. Maybe I'll produce something of literary value.

Thanks, guys. I couldn't land a research position this Summer so I think that I ought to have some time on my hands between work/volunteering/CC. Maybe I'll produce something of literary value.

Plenty of people get in medical school each year without research. Don't sweat it too much.

For interview and application purposes, I would call it a hobby. If they ask you about it you can elaborate as much as you are comfortable with about the things you write.

As for publishing, though, you do bring up an interesting point about professionalism in two different avenues and reconciling them. Generally, I agree with @weanprednisone, but also from a writing standpoint. Why do you like to write? Why do you want to be published? What is your creative vision? I would say think about these questions as you're writing/editing your work, and then go from there about how you want to publish your material. (Note: I'm not sure what kind of writing you do, short or long works, so this is just a catch-all suggestion.)

Reactions: 1 user