mentioning religious EC's if you are not longer religious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

IdoDrugs

I used to play in a church ensembles during Masses when I was Catholic. However, I have denounced Catholicism. Personally, I do not feel this is important because I am no longer Catholic. But, med school admission is a crap shoot and it might be important to show adcoms some of my musicality. I even composed/arranged music for the church.

Any thoughts?
If they asked me why I stopped...im afraid to say that I left the Church because it just might indirectly "offend" someone.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you leave the church?

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps because Catholics are insane?

Not the best topic for SDN.

I used to play in a church ensembles during Masses when I was Catholic. However, I have denounced Catholicism. Personally, I do not feel this is important because I am no longer Catholic. But, med school admission is a crap shoot and it might be important to show adcoms some of my musicality. I even composed/arranged music for the church.

Any thoughts?
If they asked me why I stopped...im afraid to say that I left the Church because it just might indirectly "offend" someone.

Honestly, I wouldn't mention it in your interview unless asked about. I am pretty sure the interviewer doesn't want to go "there" either since it is a very senitive topic to some people. Also, its bad to mention because it shows how uncertain you are about things. Let me explain myself, you put things down on AMCAS that are IMPORTANT to you. At that particular time when you filling out the application religion was important to you. What would go through my mind if I were interviewing you is "Well, maybe medicine is only short term interest to him." Its shows your not hold on things long enough to care about them. My opinion, you should have avoided puttin' it down in the first place the best thing for you to do now is NOT to bring it up in your interview.

Honestly I am more concerned with your immortal soul than your medical admissions.....jk;)

Personally, I do not feel this is important because I am no longer Catholic. But, med school admission is a crap shoot and it might be important to show adcoms some of my musicality.
Then don't include it. If they question you about it, it should be something you can show interest/enthusiasm about. If you can't, they'll wonder why you included it.

No one is going to ask you how religious you were at the time you worked for the church. If you did a lot of major work that you feel is important (like for example it drained many hours of your time) and you feel it shows commitment, you can include it. After all just because you composed music for the church doesn't mean you were super religious necessarily. I know a jewish guy who plays violin and transcribed several piano pieces into violin for a Christmas show. He played several songs in the Christmas show at a Lutheran church my friend attends because he is talented and my friend asked him to do it. It took a significant amount of time and dedication, and the jewish guy is by no means Christian.

Honestly you can mention your involvement with the music program without ever discussing your faith or the fact that you left the Church. The two are not necessarily intertwined. Unless you are mortally terrified that they will assume you are still Catholic, then in that case you shouldn't mention it, because many people will probably assume that. What I am trying to say is that you will not need to explain your faith by just listing the music program in your EC.

Oh and there are insane people in every faith, not just Catholicism by the way. There's nothing wrong with the religion.

Well I was "raised" Christian, however in a protestant home. I converted to the Catholic Church when I was a senior in high school because of theological reasons. I do have a greater respect for Catholicism than protestantism (in terms of theology, and the whole not being big on asking "are you saved" thing or the "have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal lord and saviour?").

I just don't buy in to religion at all anymore.

I'm a junior now and will be a fith year undergrad and actually will not apply until after i graduate. I devoted alot of time musically to the church. The music is important to me but the fact that it was an offering to God via the Catholic Church is no longer important to me. I think I'll find a way to bring the best out of it by the time I apply.

Thanks

Well whatever you do, I'm glad you were "saved" by reality.

I would include it...even the slightest edge that you can get. You shouldn't have to discuss your current religious beliefs. if the interviewer asks about it, talk about the experience and that's it. No need to go into too much detail. At the least, you can say you "really enjoyed it and got a chance to meet some great people".

include it. tell them you used to arrange/perform music for a church. the end. they /wont/ ask you what church, why you left, etc. seriously. its totally irrelevant.

i did it.. i was in your shoes last year when applying. These experiences are important to who you are and what you have become. List them!

ALso, in your PS you can maybe explain that the religous experiences, while you don't practice now, have shaped your life and views (humanistic, etc).

it worked for me!

I guess this is the best thread to ask this.

During my first year of college, I simultaneously studied rabbinic studies and got ordained as an orthodox rabbi. I never intended to become a practicing rabbi; it was just something I enjoyed doing and I wanted the knowledge base.

Should I mention this?

Will this hurt me, or help me? Will it imply that I'm not sufficiently settled and I can't make up my mind long-term, or will it help me because of the diversity it implies?

My BCPM GPA so far is 4.0 (Orgo II and Phy II still not done), and general GPA is 3.96, so I dont want to hurt myself in the soft areas.