Mentioning Specialty Interest in Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools I am applying to has a great children's hospital and a secondary question briefly asking "why this school." I have had many experiences in college working with children, healthy and sick, and have developed an interest in possibly pursuing some sort of pediatric medicine. I wanted to convey that this would be an excellent place to learn about pediatrics, but I've gotten some advice that it comes across as naive to talk about what kind of doctor you want to be before even being in medical school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It's less naive if you have some experience in the field you state an interest in. I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning that you've enjoyed working with children in the past and would appreciate the opportunity to use their excellent resources to get more experience working with that population.

Reactions: 2 users
Naive to think about your future? Hmm...It would be one thing if you dreamed about becoming an orthopaedic surgeon without any real experience, but a genuine interest in peds with experience backing it up will come across fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatrics is such a broad field ... it is really more an expression of wanting to work with a specific age group. I have not heard adcom members criticize anyone who expresses an interest in geriatrics, pediatrics or women's health. Much more specific specialties are more risky.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I've gathered it depends on the school so you'll have to do your school-specific research. I just spoke to an admissions counselor that said her school like it when someone has a specific interest or plan; whether that be a speciality or a dual degree (MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD). Another school I've heard specifically wants to hear primary care. I don't think you can go wrong anywhere by saying primary care specialties tho.

Reactions: 1 user
you just want to be careful that you can support why this interest, with some experience, and that you don't come off too narrowly focussed, because med school is broad and the "derm or die" types are riskier applicants from a POV of trying to get a class of docs that are gonna be match, be happy, practice medicine as long as possible

so, my EC's showed I had interest in underserved populations and the mentally ill, so I mentioned that

on interviews I just said ATM I was interested in a broad field and likely primary care

you just don't want to come off arrogant or inflexible is all