Mentioning that my mom is a dentist in college essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toooooooeeee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a few dental programs for college and was wondering if I should write about how my mom is a dentist? I'm a international student and my mom has a dual license - she has work experience in the USA. I'm not sure if mentioning that will help me, especially in private unis such as BU or NYU.

Members don't see this ad.

As in you're applying to their BS or BA program? I don't really remember what the prompts are for college essays, but only mention it if it flows with your theme. If you're writing about how she has influenced you and your professional goals, and how going to XYZ University is a major step in the process, sure go for it. But it's going to have absolutely no bearing, whatsoever, on getting admitted to dental school at those institutions.

I'm applying to a few dental programs for college and was wondering if I should write about how my mom is a dentist? I'm a international student and my mom has a dual license - she has work experience in the USA. I'm not sure if mentioning that will help me, especially in private unis such as BU or NYU.
If your mom has influenced your decision to be a dentist i think it is a great idea to mention it. I had a similar situation when writing my personal statement, because my grandpa is a dentist. Having lifelong exposure to dentistry is a valuable asset. It shows that you have intimate knowledge of the demands of dentistry, how fulfilling the career can be, and the necessary qualities you need to possess. Dental schools want students who have fully explored the field so that they know for a fact they want to be a dentist and will be willing to work hard to achieve their dream. Your life long exposure to dentistry is an advantage few people have and you should talk about how that experience affected your decision to pursue dentistry. You should only write about your relationship if you feel it makes you a better applicant, do not mention it if you are solely trying to gain favoritism. As for applying as an international student I visited the University of Minnesota, while I was there it was mentioned several times that they had a good program for international dental students. An international student can complete their first two years at a approved international school and finish the last two years at UM. The degree earned would be the same as if you studied their all four years. Minnesota focuses heavily accepting students from diverse backgrounds, which benefits international students. My visit was a positive experience everyone was friendly, the equipment and facilities were modern, and the school is located in a great part of Minneapolis.