Mentioning that you were influenced by family members in your PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me, it's true. Is it a good idea to mention it and then explain how youas long as you explain how your "childhood desire" actually became serious due to experiences X, Y, and Z?

It would just be a shame to leave that out just b/c of what the adcoms might think.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it's true. Is it a good idea to mention it and then explain how your "childhood desire" actually became a serious one due to experiences X, Y, and Z?
I say go for it...as long as you make it clear that they didnt pressure you into it.

Definitely. I would wager that parental support was a large factor for many people in medicine - including the adcoms. I would have no reservations about including it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked about my family in my PS. I specifically mentioned that three of my relatives are doctors, so I've been exposed to both the positive and , more importantly, the negative aspects of medicine my whole life. I think its important to let schools know that you don't think you'll be some praised medical god who drives a Porsche, has three houses, and plays golf three times a week.

I talked about my family in my PS. I specifically mentioned that three of my relatives are doctors, so I've been exposed to both the positive and , more importantly, the negative aspects of medicine my whole life. I think its important to let schools know that you don't think you'll be some praised medical god who drives a Porsche, has three houses, and plays golf three times a week.
speak for yourself!