Mentor Relationship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolmyname

Lord Have MRSA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking about this for a while and just wanted to seek some advice. There is this really great physician I met about half a year ago when he came to my class during a "career" day where physicians from different specialties came to answer questions about their specialty etc. It turns out the specialty I am interested in is the same as his.

Anyways, a few months after this I finally drew up the nerve to ask him for a sit down one on one to ask if he wouldn't mind being a mentor to me and someone I could go to for questions. He agreed and since then we've been mainly communicating via emails and he has been great in terms of answering my questions and just having the occasional casual email conversation. At this point I am sure he knows me well enough to the point where he has a favorable view of me, but I haven't had any real opportunity to work with him in terms of shadowing due schedule conflicts etc. I do think he is someone I would definitely want to ask for a letter down the line, but I want to find a way where I can be more in touch with him on a more continual basis, that way he can have a better idea of who I am and some of my characteristics so it is easier for him to write about. Should I just ask him about potentially doing a research project or should I just try to shadow him more often? Should I express to him now my interest in him writing me a letter and what I could do to make it easier for him to do so?

I am starting my 3rd year just now so the chaos of understanding clerkship and how to operate within it is in full swing, but I didn't want to forget about this and remember late in the game so I thought the sooner the better. Maybe I am overthinking this. I am sorry if something like this has been asked, but I wasn't able to find a thread that addressed my concerns. I'd love your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Do ask for some chart review based project or a case report - this way not only will you actually do some work with him (and work is what's relevant for letter writing), but you'll also have a chance of producing something publishable. You should be able to carve some time for this kind of research during most rotations.

Don't tell him you want a letter from him at this point. While having good personal relationship helps with getting a strong letter, it's not enough. Thisis not pre-med anymore where LORs were essentially character references; for residencies, letters should be based on letter writer's knowledge of your work, whether clinical or research. I think it's unfair to put your mentor in a position where he has to agree with writing you a letter before knowing your work. Get some work done with him first.

Shadowing - meh, once you start clinical rotations there will be no time and no point in shadowing - you wouldn't want to shadow after actually doing something on the wards (unless your mentor is in a procedural specialty and lets you do stuff with your hands). More importantly, again, you're not a pre-med anymore; you can't put shadowing on your CV or get a letter out of it - I've already said it above but it bears repeating - what matters is your work.

Reactions: 4 users
Do ask for some chart review based project or a case report - this way not only will you actually do some work with him (and work is what's relevant for letter writing), but you'll also have a chance of producing something publishable. You should be able to carve some time for this kind of research during most rotations.

Don't tell him you want a letter from him at this point. While having good personal relationship helps with getting a strong letter, it's not enough. Thisis not pre-med anymore where LORs were essentially character references; for residencies, letters should be based on letter writer's knowledge of your work, whether clinical or research. I think it's unfair to put your mentor in a position where he has to agree with writing you a letter before knowing your work. Get some work done with him first.

Shadowing - meh, once you start clinical rotations there will be no time and no point in shadowing - you wouldn't want to shadow after actually doing something on the wards (unless your mentor is in a procedural specialty and lets you do stuff with your hands). More importantly, again, you're not a pre-med anymore; you can't put shadowing on your CV or get a letter out of it - I've already said it above but it bears repeating - what matters is your work.
Thanks for your advice. It really means a lot. I am definitely going to reach out to him then and express my interest in working with him on some form of research project. I wish people in medical school would have explained this to us a bit more, but again much appreciated. I'm about to start my 3rd year so Ill probably just wait for a month to get my bearing on how clerkship works and then reach out to him. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an academic doctor? Someone known in their field? Can you do a rotation with him? Otherwise research is also a good way to build rapport with s mentor.

Some things to consider:
- you might change your specialty choice
- too early to ask for letters (agree with above poster).

Is this an academic doctor? Someone known in their field? Can you do a rotation with him? Otherwise research is also a good way to build rapport with s mentor.

Some things to consider:
- you might change your specialty choice
- too early to ask for letters (agree with above poster).

Academic doctor yes. As best as I can discern yes, but tbh I don't know how one ascertains how well known a person is known in their field. I actually might have an opportunity to rotate with him in the future. I will try to do research with im though.