Mentoring Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions about starting a mentoring program in my residency program. This will be a way for incoming PGY1 residents to have an upper year as a "big brother" of sorts.

Im not really sure of the entire scope of what this should entail. This past interview season we had a lot of the interviewees ask us what sort of mentoring did we have with younger & older residents...got us thinking maybe we SHOULD have something set up.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

when i was in residency, we matched 3rd years with interns. we had a little ceremony and all. it was nice. we set it up on our own as a support system. it gave the younger residents someone to ask those silly questions we all have and are afraid to ask. it is definitely worth doing. it is best done with all of the residents being on board. if you only have a few mentoring, it become a bit of a burden to the ones mentoring.

i would consider having the residents volunteer for it. pick among the 3s, 4s, and 5s. if you make it mandatory, you'll get at least one or two residents who aren't that interested in teaching.

Not that I'm violently opposed to mentoring, but when did it become that people can't figure out residency on their own? What if you get a mentor that is a bad resident, that would be hilarious. They'd be like, "when you are on call, just go to sleep!" And you'll be like, "sweet!"