MERCER - About attending a religion affiliated pharmacy school - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimmeringstar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a question about Mercer's pharmacy program. Mercer is a Christian school right? Would it make any difference between graduating from a regular school and graduating from a Christian school? I mean it's not like people from maybe a different religion or people that don't really believe in God might prefer to hire someone else rather than you if you graduated from a Christian school? Also, do the students there have to take any religious classes at all? (I heard there is another school that does require students to take one class/semester based on religion)...so I wanted to know if the curriculum/education will be based on any religious views? Any input will be really appreciated...thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Mercer University is a Baptist college; however, I do not know if they compel you to take a religious class. By the way, I don't think people in general care if you graduate from a religious pharmacy school or not.

Mercer University is a Baptist college; however, I do not know if they compel you to take a religious class. By the way, I don't think people in general care if you graduate from a religious pharmacy school or not.

They do not have any religious requirements. Mercer University is a private, liberal arts school with a pharmacy school adjunct.

Hi everyone,
I have a question about Mercer's pharmacy program. Mercer is a Christian school right? Would it make any difference between graduating from a regular school and graduating from a Christian school? I mean it's not like people from maybe a different religion or people that don't really believe in God might prefer to hire someone else rather than you if you graduated from a Christian school? Also, do the students there have to take any religious classes at all? (I heard there is another school that does require students to take one class/semester based on religion)...so I wanted to know if the curriculum/education will be based on any religious views? Any input will be really appreciated...thank you so much

The Baptist affiliation is more of a historic item at this point, as the Southern Baptist Convention essentially severed ties with the university several years ago.

To me, the most obvious differences between Mercer and a state school (which I did for undergrad) is that religion can be openly acknowledged. For example, if we have a major event (such as Awards Day) there will be a short invocation beforehand. We have a very active chapter of Christian Pharmacists Fellowship, and we have a Baptist Student Union advisor on campus. I have had more than one professor who has mentioned their personal religious views or the name of God in a very peripheral way in class. So, if you are Christian there are many opportunities, but I don't think that a Muslim, Hindu, atheist, etc. would find it to be an overly oppressive Christian atmosphere.