Mercer and MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA Girl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from either of these schools lately?

Members don't see this ad.

no i haven't, kinda unnerving especially from MCG, im getting nervous

MCG admissions office blows.

I submitted my app over 2 months ago, and (not trying to be arrogant) I am a v. strong candidate for MCG.

Haven't heard jack.

Called this week to check-up on things. The secretary was pretty rude. Wouldn't look up my file, didn't even want to take my name. Just said I'd be contacted when they had reviewed my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
they told me that on thursday (this upcoming one) the committee is meeting again to look at candidates for acceptance

ND2005 said:

I submitted my app over 2 months ago, and (not trying to be arrogant) I am a v. strong candidate for MCG.

Haven't heard jack.

Called this week to check-up on things. The secretary was pretty rude. Wouldn't look up my file, didn't even want to take my name. Just said I'd be contacted when they had reviewed my app.

I'm in a similar boat. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Keep me posted

I know people who got into MCG already through early acceptance. And my friend at MCG told me about some people she met from my college who were there for the interview.

Personally, I got an email shortly after submitting my AMCAS in early September and they told me that they don't anticipate filling the class until May and that they will let me know if they need any more information from me. So basically since I'm an out-of-state applicant they told me that if they can't fill their class with in-state people by May they'll take a look at my app and ask me to send more info if they like what they see - very low probability that this will happen.

shinenjk said:
I know people who got into MCG already through early acceptance. And my friend at MCG told me about some people she met from my college who were there for the interview.

Personally, I got an email shortly after submitting my AMCAS in early September and they told me that they don't anticipate filling the class until May and that they will let me know if they need any more information from me. So basically since I'm an out-of-state applicant they told me that if they can't fill their class with in-state people by May they'll take a look at my app and ask me to send more info if they like what they see - very low probability that this will happen.

i was complete at MCG august 19th havent' heard anything. I rejected an interview at Mercer. I am curious to see what happens with MCG though

ND2005 said:

Haven't heard jack.

i am always happy to see any discussion about georgia schools! the threads keep dying out, maybe because we never hear enough updates about them.

i didn't apply to mercer, just mcg and emory. and nd2005 i had the same type of experience when i called there several times. the secretary was actually very nice though, she just couldn't tell me anything. i mean, NOTHING. which was pretty wierd. other schools at least ask for your amcas id and name and look up your file. mcg must have told them not to say anything. she couldn't say what my file status was, if i was even complete, when the adcom meets, and how far along the interview process is right now. for all i know they could have filled up their class by now!! ugh. (although, highly unlikely. maybe like 60% at the most heh. but what do i know.)

Hey guys, its pretty typical of mcg to interview early and notify later. They have rolling admissions and such. Some people do get lucky and hear early but even those with really great stats often don't hear until later. I interviewed in october and got in, in march with above average stats for the school in 2003-4. So don't lose hope there is plenty of time left.

I'm not losing hope, I'm just frustrated with how slow their process has been and the lack of responsiveness and unwillingness to provide information.

For the record, I haven't had an interview yet from MCG. Still waiting to hear on that.

erin682 said:
Hey guys, its pretty typical of mcg to interview early and notify later. They have rolling admissions and such. Some people do get lucky and hear early but even those with really great stats often don't hear until later. I interviewed in october and got in, in march with above average stats for the school in 2003-4. So don't lose hope there is plenty of time left.

yeah... i wouldn't be so anxious if i had interviewed in october. but as of now, i have heard NOTHING from them since submission! and i know a lot of georgia ppl here on sdn have interviewed there, so it's not like they are not interviewing.

i feel like they just don't like me. i need to send an update letter for my file...

ND2005 said:
I'm not losing hope, I'm just frustrated with how slow their process has been and the lack of responsiveness and unwillingness to provide information.

For the record, I haven't had an interview yet from MCG. Still waiting to hear on that.

wow nd2005. just looked at your profile. errrr, maybe mcg thinks you are way too overqualified and will probably go to yale or something than go to augusta? when were you complete, did u take the august mcat?

Yeah, I took the August MCAT, so I kind of applied to a range of schools, not knowing how I would stand as an applicant.

I hope MCG doesn't dismiss me -- if I like what I see on my visit, the in-state tuition breaks are hard to ignore!

Members don't see this ad :)
ND2005 said:
Yeah, I took the August MCAT, so I kind of applied to a range of schools, not knowing how I would stand as an applicant.

I hope MCG doesn't dismiss me -- if I like what I see on my visit, the in-state tuition breaks are hard to ignore!

yeah. mcg is the best financial deal out there. and the graduates get great residencies. two of my friends who went to mcg are at mayo now doing thier residencies.

i hope i can get an interview still. i was confident applying there, but after not hearing from them for a long time am not so sure of my chances now.

I just got an acceptance from MCG in the mail yesterday. Not sure when the ADCOM met. I interviewed mid november. I thought it would take much longer because they even said on the interview day that they tend to accept people later so that they leave room in the class for later interviewees. I was pretty much told during my interviews that I was going to be accepted, though, so my interviewers must have pushed my application.

Congratz! Was that your top choice?

Wahina said:
I just got an acceptance from MCG in the mail yesterday. Not sure when the ADCOM met. I interviewed mid november. I thought it would take much longer because they even said on the interview day that they tend to accept people later so that they leave room in the class for later interviewees. I was pretty much told during my interviews that I was going to be accepted, though, so my interviewers must have pushed my application.

GA Girl said:
Congratz! Was that your top choice?

Thanks, I am deciding between MCG, Emory, and Wake Forest so far, and I am waiting to hear back from 8 other interviews so I'm not sure. MCG wasn't as nice the other places I went as far as facilities and resources, but it's a nice little area with low cost of living and the in-state tuition. If these are my only 3 it would be between MCG and Emory.

Wahina said:
Thanks, I am deciding between MCG, Emory, and Wake Forest so far, and I am waiting to hear back from 8 other interviews so I'm not sure. MCG wasn't as nice the other places I went as far as facilities and resources, but it's a nice little area with low cost of living and the in-state tuition. If these are my only 3 it would be between MCG and Emory.

congratulations wahina! i know quite a few people who end up choosing mcg over emory because of $$$. i guess you'll wait to see what kind of financial package emory offers you.

can u tell us when you were complete, and when you interviewed did they tell you that you were one of the early interviewers, or had they already interviewed a whole bunch by november? i am an april mcater and am feeling very anxious!

bubbleyum said:
congratulations wahina! i know quite a few people who end up choosing mcg over emory because of $$$. i guess you'll wait to see what kind of financial package emory offers you.

can u tell us when you were complete, and when you interviewed did they tell you that you were one of the early interviewers, or had they already interviewed a whole bunch by november? i am an april mcater and am feeling very anxious!

I was complete early, in the beginning September I think. They said in the email that they would start interviewing reg decision in mid october. I think there is some randomness to when you get an interview, because I know a girl who was complete after me but got an interview date before mine. And I don't think it was because my application was passed over once, because my application is objectively stronger than hers. I say that to make the point that it seems like they don't get to the applications in the exact order that they are received, so if you haven't gotten an interview yet don't stress. I think a November interview is early for MCG, but I certainly wasn't the first interview. I know someone who interviewed late October. The reason for few early interviews I think is that many people who apply to MCG and Mercer take the August MCAT (I took in April) and so the application process at both of these schools are pushed back compared to say, Emory. I think MCG is a place that is rolling, but it's almost like non-rolling in the sense that you can interview late and there will definitely still be spots open for you.

I just heard from Mercer today...interview 1/26. I've had similar experiences with MCG comparable to those of other posters....I feel like a puppy waiting for a crumb to fall from the kitchen table. As far as Emory goes, nothing yet.

I have an Emory interview at the beginning of January. I'll be sure to give all the GA people an update here. Similarly, if I ever hear from MCG, I'll be sure to update as well.

Emory actually called me and asked if I could come the next day (I think they saw on my app that I work about 500 yards from the admissions offices). I really wanted to, but I'd already taken 2 days off of work that week, and I'd just dropped off my suit at the cleaners!

MCG just sent me an interview request.

Maybe they read this site?

ND2005 said:

if they do, then they have sure been ignoring all of my posts!

MCG AND EMORY: I WANT AN INTERVIEW!!!!! please?

How did you receive the request? Phone? letter? email? Just curious
ND2005 said:

ND2005 said:

GL btw! :)

nd-

did u already have an emory interview scheduled in january when they called you and asked you to come in a couple of days "instead" of your original interview date? or was that the first time they called you for an interview? because i heard over a month ago that emory interviews were already booked until february...

thanx.

They contacted me in the last week of November. This was the first contact I had from them (other than them telling me my app was complete). They asked if I could come in the next day, then when I said I could not, they scheduled me for the first week of January.

ND2005 said:
They contacted me in the last week of November. This was the first contact I had from them (other than them telling me my app was complete). They asked if I could come in the next day, then when I said I could not, they scheduled me for the first week of January.

i c. that's still a good time slot for a late november invite! maybe there's some hope yet.

ND2005 said:

Same thing happened to me. That happened because someone cancelled last minute, and since you're close by, they figured you might be able to fill in. Still, if you're going to get an interview there, you'll get it regardless of whether you can fill in on a moment's notice or not.

hey, if they asked me to be there at the last minute i would be there in a jiffy!
;)

ND--

I think you will get into both of these schools for sure unless you really upset someone in the interviews because Emory is fairly easy to get into for GA residents (accepted over half of GA interviewees last year) and obviously you are a mortal lock for MCG. Don't worry about the panel interview at Emory, it's way more relaxed than it would seem. People don't want to try to show someone up because it makes them look like a douche. Just do your thing.

I've been talking to a couple of people at Emory, so I'm feeling pretty good about their interview process. My Kaplan tutor is now a first year at Emory, and I ran into him at the cafeteria the other day -- he said Emory's interviews were really casual and sounded pretty positive about it.

I interviewed mid-November at MCG, but I just called them today to make sure they knew I was still interested. Linda DeVaugn told me to expect something in the mail real soon, so perhaps they just sent a batch of decision letters out, in case any of y'all are in a similar situation. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell me what was actually in the mail (acceptance/waitlist/rejection), but I'm hoping for the first. Wish me luck! :luck:

Its prob an acceptance. They do not waitlist till the end of the season and do it all in mass...do you have an mdapps? just curious as to where i may stand...good luck, but more likely, congrats!

zook said:
I interviewed mid-November at MCG, but I just called them today to make sure they knew I was still interested. Linda DeVaugn told me to expect something in the mail real soon, so perhaps they just sent a batch of decision letters out, in case any of y'all are in a similar situation. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell me what was actually in the mail (acceptance/waitlist/rejection), but I'm hoping for the first. Wish me luck! :luck:

Does MCG tell you that your app is complete? The email when they received the app said they'd email if they needed anything but I haven't heard back since.

GA Girl said:
Does MCG tell you that your app is complete? The email when they received the app said they'd email if they needed anything but I haven't heard back since.

Ga Girl -- I got the e-mail saying they received the app, then nothing for about 8 weeks, then an interview invite by e-mail.

ND2005 said:
Ga Girl -- I got the e-mail saying they received the app, then nothing for about 8 weeks, then an interview invite by e-mail.

Ah cool! GL in your interview! :)

let us know what happened, gl

zook said:

Hook17 said:

I had to catch a flight on Wednesday, but right before I left, the mailman came down the street, so I chased him down and asked him if he could give me my mail (hoping that the letter was in there). Unfortunately, he was on the other side of the street, and my house was at the end of his route, so he wasn't going to go to the back of his car and find my mail. I'm going back Monday night, so I guess I'll have to wait until then. Good luck to the rest of you too and Merry Christmas!

PS Hook, do you go to MCG?

georgiapeachmd said:
any updates on interviews or acceptances?
So yeah, the letter was in the mail when I came back into town, and it was an acceptance. As far as timelines go, I interviewed 11/16, the letter was postmarked 12/20.

zook said:
So yeah, the letter was in the mail when I came back into town, and it was an acceptance. As far as timelines go, I interviewed 11/16, the letter was postmarked 12/20.

That's great news!

zook said:

congratulations zook!

anybody else hear about interviews lately from georgia schools like emory and mcg?

bubbleyum said:
congratulations zook!

anybody else hear about interviews lately from georgia schools like emory and mcg?

oops. forgot this was a MERCER and mcg thread, not emory.

bubbleyum said:
oops. forgot this was a MERCER and mcg thread, not emory.

That's okay, I meant any schools from GA really

ya ok im just gonna shoot it on the line

im a ga resident, MCAT 31 (11 V, 10,10), 3.6 GPA from a top ten liberal arts school, medical shadowing done in Kenya, the South, etc.

I got into emory and tulane, do u think i will get into MCG?

I interviewed in october and haven't heard from them since, its scary,

just wondering what u guys thought

fizzbot said:
ya ok im just gonna shoot it on the line

im a ga resident, MCAT 31 (11 V, 10,10), 3.6 GPA from a top ten liberal arts school, medical shadowing done in Kenya, the South, etc.

I got into emory and tulane, do u think i will get into MCG?

I interviewed in october and haven't heard from them since, its scary,

just wondering what u guys thought

I was very much in your boat a couple of years ago. I interviewed in October and ended up getting accepted at the beginning of March. I know someone else who interviewed the same day that I did and after being waitlisted got in in June. So no worries yet, mcg sends out lots of acceptances later in the game.