Mercer and MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
erin682 said:
I was very much in your boat a couple of years ago. I interviewed in October and ended up getting accepted at the beginning of March. I know someone else who interviewed the same day that I did and after being waitlisted got in in June. So no worries yet, mcg sends out lots of acceptances later in the game.

Yeah, MCG doesn't accept more than the number of spots in the class, so I assume there's a lot of movement later in the summer when/if people decide to go elsewhere. I'm sure you'll be ok unless either a. you really messed up your interview or b. everyone accepted decides to matriculate there. Either way, Emory and Tulane aren't too shabby either :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

zook said:
Yeah, MCG doesn't accept more than the number of spots in the class, so I assume there's a lot of movement later in the summer when/if people decide to go elsewhere. I'm sure you'll be ok unless either a. you really messed up your interview or b. everyone accepted decides to matriculate there. Either way, Emory and Tulane aren't too shabby either :laugh:

well, that's nice for you guys who already interviewed, but what about poor folks like me who are still waiting/hoping for an invite! :(

bubbleyum said:
well, that's nice for you guys who already interviewed, but what about poor folks like me who are still waiting/hoping for an invite! :(

I'm not quite sure how they decide on when/who to interview, but even if you interview late in the season, they send acceptances out pretty evenly, so you have the same chance as someone who interviewed earlier in the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
zook said:
I'm not quite sure how they decide on when/who to interview, but even if you interview late in the season, they send acceptances out pretty evenly, so you have the same chance as someone who interviewed earlier in the year.

Anyone hear anything this week?

nope, just called secretary to see if they had even like reviewed me and perhaps put me on waiting list, .... nothing... apparently they can't tell me anything. oh well,
much love
fizz

congratulations on the acceptance, zook. if you decide to attend MCG, i'll be seeing you in the fall. feel free to PM, cause i wouldn't mind making some friends early.

GA Girl said:
Has anyone heard anything from either of these schools lately?

Bump....anything?

fizzbot said:
nope, just called secretary to see if they had even like reviewed me and perhaps put me on waiting list, .... nothing... apparently they can't tell me anything. oh well,
much love
fizz

Trying to bring this thread alive once again...anything from either of these schools????

A friend of mine got interviews for Mercer and MCG for late January. So they are still inviting.

Wahina said:
A friend of mine got interviews for Mercer and MCG for late January. So they are still inviting.
When was your friend invited? Sorry! so curious

My friend interviewed last week at MCG, dunno when he got the invite but he was complete pretty late.

I have an interview at Mercer on Feb. 2nd, and I scheduled that in late December.

This is my second time applying to MCG, and last year I applied ED because Linda DeVaughn said multiple times that "if you apply ED to MCG, you will have gotten into medical school by October," which I took as her telling me I'll definitely get in. They never even interviewed me, but people from my college w/ lower stats than me got in regular decision. They also told my pre-med advisor, who called in January last year because this made no sense to her, that I should expect something in the mail soon when she asked if I was going to get an interview. This year, I still have no interview.....boo on MCG.....(of course I would still definitely consider them if I got in)

:(

peach921 said:
I have an interview at Mercer on Feb. 2nd, and I scheduled that in late December.

This is my second time applying to MCG, and last year I applied ED because Linda DeVaughn said multiple times that "if you apply ED to MCG, you will have gotten into medical school by October," which I took as her telling me I'll definitely get in. They never even interviewed me, but people from my college w/ lower stats than me got in regular decision. They also told my pre-med advisor, who called in January last year because this made no sense to her, that I should expect something in the mail soon when she asked if I was going to get an interview. This year, I still have no interview.....boo on MCG.....(of course I would still definitely consider them if I got in)

:(

sorry to hear that peach. that is completely misleading and horrible of them.
i am somewhat miffed by the silence from mcg. i was complete by september and took the april mcat. i've been living in georgia the past 13 years, 10 of them working and paying my taxes.

and what's up with their "we can't even tell you if your file is complete" policy when you call them? other schools tell you a lot more than that! geez. frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
bubbleyum said:
sorry to hear that peach. that is completely misleading and horrible of them.
i am somewhat miffed by the silence from mcg. i was complete by september and took the april mcat. i've been living in georgia the past 13 years, 10 of them working and paying my taxes.

and what's up with their "we can't even tell you if your file is complete" policy when you call them? other schools tell you a lot more than that! geez. frustrating.

At least it sounds like their silent to everyone right now. Maybe we'll all hear later. So far after the winter break, I've been getting one interview invite per week...so maybe next week it will be MCG? Keeping up hope!

i got nothing either, interview in october, i am praying every night they let me in, please let me in please please please MCG please

GA Girl said:
When was your friend invited? Sorry! so curious

I'm not exactly sure, but approximately late Dec. or early Jan. for an interview at Mercer around Jan 23-25 (coming up, not sure what day) and I think just a couple days ago (maybe Jan 16-17) for an interview at MCG first week of Feb.

Anyone heard from Mercer lately?
I interviewed in September and was rolled over to the regular applicant pool.

GA Girl said:
At least it sounds like their silent to everyone right now. Maybe we'll all hear later. So far after the winter break, I've been getting one interview invite per week...so maybe next week it will be MCG? Keeping up hope!

wow. see, if i was getting one interview invite per week, i would not even be worried!! i envy you.

as for mcg, they broke their silence yesterday with an email from the dean of admissions asking me to clarify what biology classes i've taken post-bac. for a second there i was so excited that it was an interview invite, geez. but at least now i know that they have done more than glance at my file, which is progress.

bubbleyum said:
wow. see, if i was getting one interview invite per week, i would not even be worried!! i envy you.

as for mcg, they broke their silence yesterday with an email from the dean of admissions asking me to clarify what biology classes i've taken post-bac. for a second there i was so excited that it was an interview invite, geez. but at least now i know that they have done more than glance at my file, which is progress.

That's good to know they've been looking. I wish they would look at mine. When were you complete there?

Keep us posted.

hey guys,

finally have some good news about mcg. i got the interview invite today like an hour ago via email(fomr the dean of admissions.) it's scheduled for feb 8th. when you get the invite, there will be like 3 emails all at once sitting in your mailbox: the invite, student hosting, interview day agenda.

i've been complete there since mid/late september if that helps. i am assuming they send these out in batches so hopefully some of you who have been waiting(and waiting and waiting) like i was got the same invite today!

ahhhhh, feels so good. of course, they don't give you a few dates to choose from. so i have to skip on my nazi physiology teacher's lecture and lab that day, but it's well worth it!

good luck everybody!

bubbleyum said:
hey guys,

finally have some good news about mcg. i got the interview invite today like an hour ago via email(fomr the dean of admissions.) it's scheduled for feb 8th. when you get the invite, there will be like 3 emails all at once sitting in your mailbox: the invite, student hosting, interview day agenda.

i've been complete there since mid/late september if that helps. i am assuming they send these out in batches so hopefully some of you who have been waiting(and waiting and waiting) like i was got the same invite today!

ahhhhh, feels so good. of course, they don't give you a few dates to choose from. so i have to skip on my nazi physiology teacher's lecture and lab that day, but it's well worth it!

good luck everybody!

Yay! Sigh,...i have not heard yet...but I'm so happy for you!

GA Girl said:
Yay! Sigh,...i have not heard yet...but I'm so happy for you!

hey ga girl, i'm sure you are an outstanding applicant given that you ahve a bunch of interviews lined up. you are SURE to get your invite soon, i just know it!

bubbleyum said:
hey guys,

good luck everybody!

Congrats bubbleyum. Good luck at your interview. Its pretty low key so don't stress about it.

erin682 said:
Congrats bubbleyum. Good luck at your interview. Its pretty low key so don't stress about it.

thanks erin, when did you interview and have you been accepted yet?
(sorry ignore above question. i just read some of your earlier posts. u must be an ms2 at mcg right now.)
does anybody know how long the avg turnaround time is between interview and acceptance?

bubbleyum said:
thanks erin, when did you interview and have you been accepted yet?
(sorry ignore above question. i just read some of your earlier posts. u must be an ms2 at mcg right now.)
does anybody know how long the avg turnaround time is between interview and acceptance?

I think the committee meets once a month and considers applicants, but I think they wait until the end to accept a lot of people in order to make sure they have spots available in the class. So it could be as short as the next ADCOM meeting (less than a month) or it could be all the way until march. My understanding is there are no waitlists or rejections until march.

thank god...received my interview invite today via e-mail.
was complete in EARLY sept and thought id never hear from them again...

GA Girl said:
Trying to bring this thread alive once again...anything from either of these schools????

I got a phone call from Mercer yesterday for an interview invite.

I interviewed at Mercer this week, so I thought I could share what I know. They accepted their first batch of students from the regular pool this week. They will be interviewing until March 23, and I think that date is pretty much definite. You will have two interviews, one with an adcom member and one with a faculty or staff person. The interview is totally laid-back, and the whole experience is just amazingly pleasant.

Good luck everybody!

I am just trying to find out if anyone has heard anything from Mercer. I interviewed in November and from what I understand, the admissions office is not allowed to say anything.

My interviewer told me that I will not hear anything until the end of January to sometime in February.

How often does the committee meet?

Thanks

I know that Mercer's admission process is in full swing right now. If you have not gotten accepted it doesnt mean anything. They have accepted many students but still have a lot of acceptances to give out.

There are still many people left to interview and then final decisions will be made. I know that it is to early to worry about it yet.

Keep relaxed til then.

PMED99 said:
I know that Mercer's admission process is in full swing right now. If you have not gotten accepted it doesnt mean anything. They have accepted many students but still have a lot of acceptances to give out.

There are still many people left to interview and then final decisions will be made. I know that it is to early to worry about it yet.

Keep relaxed til then.

Are they still sending out invites?

Anyone know the approximate turn around time for MCG. I interviewed on January 20th, any insight into approximately when I should here. I got hte impression they would turn it around pretty quickly.

Thanks

PhillyRA said:
Anyone know the approximate turn around time for MCG. I interviewed on January 20th, any insight into approximately when I should here. I got hte impression they would turn it around pretty quickly.

Thanks

Has anyone heard anything from either school lately?

PhillyRA said:

Thanks

I also applied on the 20th and I haven't heard anything from them yet.
If anyone else has was there the 20th, can u post if you hear anything?

My girlfriend was just offered an interview at MCG by email on tuesday. the email said they wanted her to come on thursday! there was no way that was possible, so she rescheduled for march 3rd.

I emailed the MCG admissions office yesterday asking if there was a more conrete time table than the one we got at the interview and the response I received only said that applicants would be notified of hteir status between now and hte beginning of April.

PhillyRA said:
I emailed the MCG admissions office yesterday asking if there was a more conrete time table than the one we got at the interview and the response I received only said that applicants would be notified of hteir status between now and hte beginning of April.

I'm interested in hearing who has been accepted most recently to Mercer. They are my top choice (evident in applying Early Decision two times!). My August MCATs will hopefully be an asset (though they didn't come in time for Early Decision). I feel I am a pretty good candidate in all areas (GPA, MCAT, LOR, Extra-curricular, etc). I've also shown continued interest. I keep checking my mail box daily hoping to find SOMETHING! I think the ADCOM meets every Wed. but that doesn't necessarily mean they send out a batch of letters every week. I'm not sure how often they do that. So I'm wondering who has heard from them most recently.

Also, is there truth to the rumor that MCG won't even look at your application unless you have a 28 or better on the MCAT? I had a 27 and an otherwise competitive app. and I have not heard ANYTHING from them, not even an interview. If this rumor is true, its a recent thing. I know a MS-IV at Mercer who was accepted to both schools with a 26.

Hi fellow Ga. applicants,

I interviewed at MCG on Feb. 6. I am very anxious to find out my status. I asked a student tour guide there how often the ADCOM meets and he said generally every week. Has anyone received an acceptance less than a month after their interview?

Also, I interviewed at Mercer 2 years ago, and have since gotten a masters degree. I have not heard anything about an interview this year- which seems fishy. Ive emailed my interviewer from 2 years ago a few times, and he has said hed try to "facilitate my entry." Im a little worried that Mercer may interpret my masters degree from an out of state school as non -"mission compliant."

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed....

I interviewed 1/20/06 and I am still anxiously awaiting word of my status. I will let you know as soon as I hear. The Admissions office said by April everyone would know their status.

DCDAWG said:

I interviewed at MCG on Feb. 6. I am very anxious to find out my status. I asked a student tour guide there how often the ADCOM meets and he said generally every week. Has anyone received an acceptance less than a month after their interview?

Also, I interviewed at Mercer 2 years ago, and have since gotten a masters degree. I have not heard anything about an interview this year- which seems fishy. Ive emailed my interviewer from 2 years ago a few times, and he has said hed try to "facilitate my entry." Im a little worried that Mercer may interpret my masters degree from an out of state school as non -"mission compliant."

I interviewed november 4th and did not hear back until jan 23rd. Hope that helps and good luck!

GAdoc said:
Also, is there truth to the rumor that MCG won't even look at your application unless you have a 28 or better on the MCAT?

I'm a 3rd year med student. Unless things have changed since I applied there is no truth to that rumor.

vwhan said:
I'm a 3rd year med student. Unless things have changed since I applied there is no truth to that rumor.

Agreed. I'm in the 2nd year class and I definately know of people in my class with less than that.

DC, Did you ever hear back from Mercer? I'm concerned as well since I haven't heard anything and it is getting very close to the end of their interview season.

DCDAWG said:

GA Girl said:
DC, Did you ever hear back from Mercer? I'm concerned as well since I haven't heard anything and it is getting very close to the end of their interview season.

just bumping this thread....i hate this waiting game! anyone from 1/20/06 mcg interview hear anything? if you don't hear from them again until early april does that mean that you were probably waitlisted/rejected

Tallulah said:
just bumping this thread....i hate this waiting game! anyone from 1/20/06 mcg interview hear anything? if you don't hear from them again until early april does that mean that you were probably waitlisted/rejected

I interviewed Feb. 6 and would really love to hear something. I sure hope that not hearing something until april doesnt mean that you are waitlisted. im pretty sure at the end of march/beginning of april they send out more acceptances....As for Mercer- no luck for me.

i thought if you interviewed and don't hear anything by end of march that means you are waitlisted or rejected... i interviewed feb 8th, but i had such a terrible interview i am assuming rejection. am hoping for at least a waitlist. they also said the waitlist is already ranked when they first make it, and your rank does not change regardless of new grades and letters.

if you want to send in letters of intent, do it now!

bubbleyum said:
i thought if you interviewed and don't hear anything by end of march that means you are waitlisted or rejected... i interviewed feb 8th, but i had such a terrible interview i am assuming rejection. am hoping for at least a waitlist. they also said the waitlist is already ranked when they first make it, and your rank does not change regardless of new grades and letters.

if you want to send in letters of intent, do it now!

Thanks for the advice! I think that MCG wants to have 190 acceptances out by the beginning of April. If, byt that point, they do not have that many acceptances out, or if people had recently declined acceptance, then they will send out whatever amount of acceptances to fill up to 190 by April. Then they make the waitlist. Usually about 40-50 are taken off the waitlist because MCG doesnt overaccept.....This is my udnerstanding, please correct if you heard or know differently.
I wrote my committee interviewer an update/kind of letter of intent email yesterday, so its probably a good thing that I did that now, before the end of March.

If you dont mind me asking, what was so bad about your interview? I know they try pretty hard to make people feel comfortable. Were your interviewers not good?

DCDAWG said:
Thanks for the advice! I think that MCG wants to have 190 acceptances out by the beginning of April. If, byt that point, they do not have that many acceptances out, or if people had recently declined acceptance, then they will send out whatever amount of acceptances to fill up to 190 by April. Then they make the waitlist. Usually about 40-50 are taken off the waitlist because MCG doesnt overaccept.....This is my udnerstanding, please correct if you heard or know differently.
I wrote my committee interviewer an update/kind of letter of intent email yesterday, so its probably a good thing that I did that now, before the end of March.

If you dont mind me asking, what was so bad about your interview? I know they try pretty hard to make people feel comfortable. Were your interviewers not good?

I interviewed this past Monday. The admission officer told me they COMMONLY take 70 off the wait list. Figure, out of 1000 in-state apps, about 500 are interviewed. They make 190 offers and then take 70 off the wait-list. You're looking at about 1:2 odds any way you cut it. That's still not great, but as far as med schools go. Good luck to all yall!

GAdoc said:
I interviewed this past Monday. The admission officer told me they COMMONLY take 70 off the wait list. Figure, out of 1000 in-state apps, about 500 are interviewed. They make 190 offers and then take 70 off the wait-list. You're looking at about 1:2 odds any way you cut it. That's still not great, but as far as med schools go. Good luck to all yall!

I thought they said they interviewed 450 this year.