Mercer University Master in Pre-Clinical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard/received anything about financial aid?!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard/received anything about financial aid?!

Yeah they sent out a packet and you have to submit a FAFSA. They were behind before so maybe they are slowly catching up with their acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i've applied to the program not too long ago, how long does it take before hearing back with a decision?

I just heard back from them tonight that all spots are filled for the fall.

I was waitlisted. Anybody have any thoughts about the likelihood of getting in off the waitlist?

Well I received an e-mail on Friday regarding my acceptance. I haven't yet responded to the letter by sending in the deposit. I was told by 5pm on Monday to either accept or decline the offer.

I was still thinking about attending but strongly considering to decline because I don't see it helping much for me since I am not a GA resident. Well, hopefully they will start sending acceptance to those on the waitlist after Monday.

Sent from my PG06100 using SDN Mobile

I just heard back from them tonight that all spots are filled for the fall.

I was waitlisted. Anybody have any thoughts about the likelihood of getting in off the waitlist?

I think it all depends on where you are on the waitlist if there is a lot of ppl waitlisted.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SDN Mobile

I declined my acceptance on Fri so that should open up a spot. Good luck :)

I also sent in the form to decline my acceptance today, good luck to those on the wait-list.

I decline my spot as well. Hopefully those on the waitlist will hear something soon.

Sent from my PG06100 using SDN Mobile

So anybody receive any further information on financial aid?

Just that yellow form that I have yet to send back

Does anyone know where the location of our classes will be held? Do you think it will be in the medical school on Edgewood or somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure its at the medical school. I went on a campus tour about two months ago and that's what I was told, but then again they didn't really know much about the program anyways since its the first year. All we can do is wait and see haha

Has anyone started looking for housing yet? Or what is everyone's plan for the year?

Wow this sounds awesome! Is it too late to apply? I mean I will not be graduating from my undergrad until May 2013 :/ so can I apply? Also, if I get accepted or waitlisted and then accepted could I defer my acceptance up until summer? Oh and haha congrats to all of the people who made it into the program!!! :D

Wow this sounds awesome! Is it too late to apply? I mean I will not be graduating from my undergrad until May 2013 :/ so can I apply? Also, if I get accepted or waitlisted and then accepted could I defer my acceptance up until summer? Oh and haha congrats to all of the people who made it into the program!!! :D

They only accept applicants for the upcoming fall school year. With that being said, the deadline for fall 2012 has passed but since you don't finish until spring 2013, apply next year for the fall 2013 entering class. Hopes this helps!

Congrats!! Welcome to the club! :highfive:

I am going to be living in the Broadway lofts on MLK, but as far as apartments you can check out Forest Pointe, Rivoli Run, Mill Creek Run and Austin Chase. They were all on my list of places to go see when I went down there last month, but I saw the lofts first and was sold! My main issue with Macon is that a majority of the apartments are all about a 15-20 min highway drive to Mercer and having commuted 30-45 min one way, everyday in undergrad, I refused to drive more than 10 min.

Hey I got accpeted into the program in April and just happened stubbled across this forum.. Quick question about the Broadway Lofts, are any utilities included in the rental fee?

Hey I got accpeted into the program in April and just happened stubbled across this forum.. Quick question about the Broadway Lofts, are any utilities included in the rental fee?

Congrats on the acceptance! Glad to see our group is getting bigger.
In regards to the lofts, Nope, Theres a $10 water fee per person that's added to the rent but the rest is on you

Who's ready to start!? I know I am!

I am really trying to get into this program! Any tips or advice? How is it? Do you think there will be more applicants for the second cycle?

Hey are you in the process of applying to Mercer MS Preclinical now?

Hey, I've heard the incoming class is going to get bigger but I don't know for sure. This program is a great and definitely A LOT of work. I knew it wasn't meant to be easy, but its no joke! My best advice would be to keep up from day one and find practice questions.

I am really trying to get into this program! Any tips or advice? How is it? Do you think there will be more applicants for the second cycle?

Hey hows it going? Have you heard back? We are just about to close out the first year in a little less than a month here. So here is some advice and tips for the program.

1. Make sure to treat the program with the same type of work ethic you would for medical school. The material you are taught in the program is all included in the first year of medical school at almost all medical schools, if not all. All the information you learn will be something you need to know in the future for medical, dental, pharmacy or any healthcare professional school.

2. This year was the first year so a lot of the kinks were worked out, but that doesn't mean it isn't still being adjusted. Respect the professors and know that they are going to do their best to help you succeed, as all of them are very helpful and willing to work with students individually as well as in a group.

3. Study hard, like I said earlier it's all information you're required to know later on so why not make it easier on yourself later and learn it well the first time around and just have to learn the things you left out.

4. Don't come in with the mindset that it's anything like undergrad, because it's not. You are in a master's program that at the minimum is 15 credit hours of science courses in 1 semester, it is not going to be easy. Just work hard and don't expect to be babysat like you might have been in undergrad.

Overall I recommend this program to anyone that wants to go to medical school mainly because it will prepare you for some of the hardest courses offered in medical school. It is not just a basic understanding of the courses either, the courses offer a pretty comprehensive understanding of the material so that when you DO enter medical school you will not have to struggle as much as your peers might.

Good luck with the application process and feel free to ask for any advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! So I sent in all my materials 3/27 and got an email 4/3 saying that they've received all the necessary materials and that my file has been sent to the Committee/Program Director for consideration etc. I was wondering how long it takes to get a decision or to hear back from them? I haven't heard anything since...

Hi! So I sent in all my materials 3/27 and got an email 4/3 saying that they've received all the necessary materials and that my file has been sent to the Committee/Program Director for consideration etc. I was wondering how long it takes to get a decision or to hear back from them? I haven't heard anything since...

The reason you probably haven't heard anything is because the program is coming to an end for this year and the director has been busy with grading this year's classes capstone presentations. She currently has about 25 papers that around on average 12 pages to grade along with presentation reviews. You will probably hear something soon since we finish with our final exams on Friday. Good luck!

Hey,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so here is my insight on the program. Here are some things to consider before deciding to enroll:
What was your undergraduate major, (typically if you have taken more science courses or was a science major then you may be more comfortable with the program curriculum, I will definitely say if you are a non-science majors or have only taken the basic premed required courses, you will have to put in more study hours.
If you have a learning disability or require more one-one guidance such T.A assistance, supplemental learning resources, or tutorial services, they are not offered to master’s students.
If you require special testing accommodations, the University does not offer diagnostic services to students, therefore you would need to pay for outside consultation in order to receive any testing accommodations.
Depending on if your GPA and/or MCAT is not competitive then it may be more beneficial for you to invest in an MCAT prep course and Private MCAT tutor, OR perhaps enroll in upper level Science courses at a University/College. I am quite sure it will cost less than 20k
Several of my mentors (all to which are practicing Physician’s) did not recommend that I invest in masters program
While the rigor of the courses may prepare you for Medical School, unfortunately because the program is very new it lacks many of the resources that are offered at other SMP (Special Master program) such as Drexel, George Washington University (just to name a few where my fellow peers have matriculated). Right now the masters program has no real association with the MD program other than we are housed in the same building and you are not guaranteed an interview based on your enrollment and completion of the master’s program (this may change in the future).
I will say this program has helped me think more critically, study independently and adjust to different style of teaching.
However I cannot confidently say that this program will increase your odds of being accepted in a MD program because when I applied last year I omitted this program from my application and still was accepted into a medical school.

And this is merely my brief synopsis of the program and many of the items listed may not apply to your personal situation, but best of luck!

A few points to consider when applying to this program.

1. This program, as stated above, is not currently directly connected to the MD program.

2. The program is meant to help with any deficiency you may have had in undergraduate work; basically to show you can do well in advanced level science curriculum.

3. The program will have it's maximum benefit to you after you complete it, during the duration of the program a medical school might not even look at the masters since you haven't completed it yet.

It is a great program to get you ready for medical school since it is very rigorous and requires you to put in a lot of work. The fact that it will be harder for anyone with a non-science background should be understood since medical school would be the same for any non-science major. Good luck to everyone and once again I definitely recommend this program to anyone that is looking to enhance their knowledge in medical sciences and prepare themselves for the first year of any medical professional school.

Last edited:
Hey, anyone going to be in Macon doing the program this year or moving this summer? I'm looking for someone to rent a place with or a room with some people who already have a place. I'm a little scared about how intense everyone says this program is. Hopefully it will end up helping and not hurting my GPA. Let me know if you are also looking for housing in the area.
Jackie

Hi! Just wanted some info on this program. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Is this program similar to those Special Masters Programs (Georgetown and Boston come to mind)? Basically a 1-year post-bac program?

I understand this program is new but how is the track record? Has it helped people get into MD schools in the south?

Hey, anyone going to be in Macon doing the program this year or moving this summer? I'm looking for someone to rent a place with or a room with some people who already have a place. I'm a little scared about how intense everyone says this program is. Hopefully it will end up helping and not hurting my GPA. Let me know if you are also looking for housing in the area.
Jackie

Hey Jackie,
I will be doing the program this coming fall!

THANKS! I got into the program so I'll definitely take all this to heart!

Hey hows it going? Have you heard back? We are just about to close out the first year in a little less than a month here. So here is some advice and tips for the program.

1. Make sure to treat the program with the same type of work ethic you would for medical school. The material you are taught in the program is all included in the first year of medical school at almost all medical schools, if not all. All the information you learn will be something you need to know in the future for medical, dental, pharmacy or any healthcare professional school.

2. This year was the first year so a lot of the kinks were worked out, but that doesn't mean it isn't still being adjusted. Respect the professors and know that they are going to do their best to help you succeed, as all of them are very helpful and willing to work with students individually as well as in a group.

3. Study hard, like I said earlier it's all information you're required to know later on so why not make it easier on yourself later and learn it well the first time around and just have to learn the things you left out.

4. Don't come in with the mindset that it's anything like undergrad, because it's not. You are in a master's program that at the minimum is 15 credit hours of science courses in 1 semester, it is not going to be easy. Just work hard and don't expect to be babysat like you might have been in undergrad.

Overall I recommend this program to anyone that wants to go to medical school mainly because it will prepare you for some of the hardest courses offered in medical school. It is not just a basic understanding of the courses either, the courses offer a pretty comprehensive understanding of the material so that when you DO enter medical school you will not have to struggle as much as your peers might.

Good luck with the application process and feel free to ask for any advice.

I'm planning to move into the Mercer Village lofts FYI. It's super close and affordable and you don't need to come in with a roommate.

Jackie

I'm planning to move into the Mercer Village lofts FYI. It's super close and affordable and you don't need to come in with a roommate.

I think I am planning to live there as well! Any idea how the roommate thing does work?

Well if you know someone they can be your loftmate but since you'll have your own room and bathroom, you'll have your own key

Jackie

Hey Jackie! I'm looking for a roommate as well! Have you found a place yet? I've been searching around for the best/safest area

Cool! I think the lofts are 3 or 4 bedroom...anyone else looking to love there?

anyone living in Pavilion at Plantation Way?

Can anyone tell me if Mercer University Pre-Clinical is worth enrolling into? How many people get admitted to medical/dental school after the program? Do you like it?

Anyone that went through the program care to share their stats and what they're doing now?

Has anyone applied for the 2015-2016 school year that has been accepted and willing to share stats?

I'm new to SDN. I would like to apply to the masters in biomedical sciences program at Mercer University.
Here are my following stats:
MCAT- 25 (8BS/10PS/7VR)
2.71 cumulative GPA with a strong upward trend in the last two years of my undergraduate career
2 months of research at a microbiology lab in the summer
100+ volunteering hours at the ER and volunteering services at a local hospital
Currently working as a tutor at my school, tutoring an upper level science course.
Be completely honest and blunt about my chances at this program. I take no offense with your truthful opinions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Something to add, I graduated with a major in biology. I have taken many upper level biology courses but aren't limited to the following: physiology, microbiology, medical microbiology, 2 semesters of biochemistry etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app