Mercer University SOM interviews/acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Jody Sadler

Anyone been interviewed yet and/or subsequently accepted/waitlisted. I interviewed 2 weeks ago and am still waiting. Just checking out the waters

Members don't see this ad.

Jody Sadler said:
Anyone been interviewed yet and/or subsequently accepted/waitlisted. I interviewed 2 weeks ago and am still waiting. Just checking out the waters

I interviewed Feb 8th and haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early decision in September and got deferred. They interviewed me again in the middle of December. I still haven't heard anything back since then.

Yesterday I received a call from my interviewer telling me that I was accepted.... finally after two years of applying and thousands of dollars later! I had given up all hope since my interview was in early January, but I learned that good things do come to those who wait. I hope this gives you guys hope. If this is your dream, don't give up. I didn't and it finally paid off.

jennymd_ said:
Yesterday I received a call from my interviewer telling me that I was accepted.... finally after two years of applying and thousands of dollars later! I had given up all hope since my interview was in early January, but I learned that good things do come to those who wait. I hope this gives you guys hope. If this is your dream, don't give up. I didn't and it finally paid off.

Congratulations! I am still waiting to hear back and as all of my friends are hearing from their schools, I'm going crazy :scared:

I interviewed in November and I have not heard squat. If people are already getting acceptance-calls, I guess I'm screwed. Does Mercer always call the accepted applicants? Hopefully I'll at least get a waitlist letter. Hurry up and wait my friends, hurry up and wait!
good luck to all :luck:

jennymd_ said:
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve your application the second time around? I'm planning for the worst (and hoping for the best of course)

In response to JCrown's question, I took an upper level biochemistry class (Human Biochemistry) and a basic nutrition class. I did some volunteering with a local Meals on Wheels program. I really emphasized the fact that I love Georgia and want to stay here. I'm from a rural town also, so I'm sure it helps that I want to live in a smaller town. When I interviewed, I was honest about everything including my poor grade in organic chemistry. My stats are decent: 3.42 GPA and 28 MCAT. That's about it, I think.

Anyone hear yet?

Same boat you are in. Still haven't heard yet. I was told they have to decide by April 1 and it could take as long as April 15th to hear from them

Still haven't heard yet. I have a friend that had an interview at Mercer last week and they were told that they were the last interview and that there are only 9 or 10 spots left. The pressure is on!

lmgolden said:
Still haven't heard yet. I have a friend that had an interview at Mercer last week and they were told that they were the last interview and that there are only 9 or 10 spots left. The pressure is on!

You got that right brother :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nottrue..they are still invitng. Talked to Kay Faust today.

fahimaz7 said:
Nottrue..they are still invitng. Talked to Kay Faust today.

that's peculiar. I guess I misunderstood what she told me back in February :confused:

I don't see how they can invite anyone else at this point. The AMCAS deadline for acceptances is March 30th. That only leaves Thursday and next Tuesday to interview before the last committee meeting on Wednesday. Kay is the one who told my friend that they were done so they must be changing their story.

lmgolden said:
I don't see how they can invite anyone else at this point. The AMCAS deadline for acceptances is March 30th. That only leaves Thursday and next Tuesday to interview before the last committee meeting on Wednesday. Kay is the one who told my friend that they were done so they must be changing their story.

I agree with you. She said the last interview day was tuesday the 15th and that the AMCAS deadline was March 30th.

anyone hear anything yet? I was told the admissions committee meets every monday and would call soon after that if you were accepted.

I thought they met on Wednesday????????? Haven't heard anything either way.

I havn't had an invite or anything and she said hey are still reviewing my file and that they were till inviting for interviews.

my guess is that a lot of people turn them down.

That could be a possibility. A lot of people who have been waiting on other schools have probably heard by now one way or the other. If they were accepted elsewhere they may be withdrawing from Mercer leaving more spots for us! :) Just wishful thinking. Have to get through this process somehow.

lmgolden said:
That could be a possibility. A lot of people who have been waiting on other schools have probably heard by now one way or the other. If they were accepted elsewhere they may be withdrawing from Mercer leaving more spots for us! :) Just wishful thinking. Have to get through this process somehow.

I'm with you on the wishful thinking part. I wish the best for everyone and hopefully we all get in :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :luck:

I called Kay today and she said that acceptance decisions will be all be mailed out by March 30th, and that the waitlist/alternate list will be decided and mailed out the following week. All other decisions (i.e. rejections) will be mailed out later. So basically that means if you are going to hear good news, it's more than likely going to be in the next 2-3 weeks. I think being on the waitlist is a positive thing at Mercer. I pretty sure they take a great deal off the waitlist. My wife is a Mercer med school grad and she was taken off the waitlist in late May in 2000. Last year I heard they took 20 off their waitlist, which is a great deal of people considering the size of their incoming class. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we all being hearing good news in the next week or so.

Hey all, I'm also in the running. Good luck

hmm.. why wait so long to reject non-interviewed students?

Still no word. Good luck to all of you. They may hold off on rejecting non-interviewed students because there may always be a possibility. When I was at Mercer for my interview one of the fourth year students told us a member of their class was rejected but they had gone completely through the wait list and contacted him. They said it was a rare situation but the point is it can happen.

Still no word from Mercer but got rejected from MCG today. So not feeling to good about the whole process right now.

lmgolden said:
Still no word from Mercer but got rejected from MCG today. So not feeling to good about the whole process right now.

Sorry to hear that Imgolden. I still haven't heard from MCG or Mercer but I fully expect to be rejected from MCG as well. My interview didn't go so well. I am so freakin tired of waiting.

Thanks, I knew it was going to be a rejection it's just hits a little bit harder when you're actually holding it in your hand. Hopefully you will have better luck.

I am still waiting to hear from both MCG and Mercer as well. Hopefully, I will get a letter in the next couple of days from Mercer. I was told it would come around march 30th. Pretty much written off MCG.

Just out of curiousity, are any of you in at any other allopathic schools? Additionally, are any of you considering osteopathic schools? I am in at PCOM-Atlanta, which is a new osteopathic school opening in August. The school is bankrolled by Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have some reservations going into a brand new school and I certainly would take a U.S. allopathic school over it in a heart beat, but as a second time applicant, I plan to start school in August. So if Mercer or MCG doesn't work out, I am going to go to d.o. school.
Personally, I have cousins who have gone to allopathic US, osteopathic, and foreign schools. Being Indian, I have alot of cousins in the medical profession. One d.o. cousin is an orthopedic surgeon and the other is a gastroenterologist (both MD allopathic residencies) and his wife is an endocrinologist (also D.O.). In our extended family, their in no bias against osteopathic because I guess all different paths end in the same place (being a doctor). However, in the general public, there are many people who have no idea what a D.O. is. I guess I was curious to what you guys thought about D.O.'s and are any of you considering it?

I'm considering D.O. I actually applied to PCOM-atl and OUCOM, but didn't send in my secondaries. I decided that if I don't get accepted this time around (my first try for MD only), I'll apply again next year for both DO and MD. I have come across plenty of people that have a negative view of DOs though. Do you think this is more prevelant in the southeast due to lack of DO-schools? In reality that is their problem. One thing I'm not crazy about is the cost of alot of the DO schools, though I guess Mercer isn't much better. and no I have not been accepted at any other schools

Thanks for your input. I think your right about the stereotype of D.O.'s in the South. I think this will change in the future but not until more osteopaths start to practice in the south. I did the same as you last year. I sent in my primaries for D.O. but never my secondaries. AACOMAS is extremely slow and took forever to process the primaries. I think you are also right to reapply in case things don't work out this year. I think your chances will go up if you decide to apply early decision somewhere. My main concern is that I am 29 and not getting any younger. My wife is two years younger and already in her first year of residency. Buy anyway, we shouldn't be giving up hope on this year. Good luck and we never know, maybe we will be pleasantly suprised in the next month or so.

I have not been accepted anywhere else either. I really want to go to Mercer, just love it. I didn't apply D.O. I thought about it but I'm still not entirely sure if that is the direction I want to take. There is a lot of doubt about that path in the South but it should start to become more familiar.

nothing yet...this is killing me

I'm getting kinda pissed off. I thought sure I would have heard something by March. Has anyone spoken to somebody in admissions about when waitlist/rejection letters are sent? I'm assuming that at this late in the game, a waitlist letter is all I can really hope for.

I feel the same way, waiting for a wait list letter. All I know is all acceptances were supposed to be mailed out by yesterday. Waitlists mailed out next week and rejections mailed out after that. Getting very irritated.

nothing yet...I'll get scared if I don't see a letter this week.

Nothing here either, getting very nervous. I really don't know what to do if this doesn't happen for me this year.

STILL nothing. this is getting old

Got my letter in the mail yesterday and I'm in......sorry, that was a terrible post April Fools joke. Still nothing.

Although I respect your sense of humor you nearly gave me a heart attack at 22.

sorry I had to. I am trying to keep sane and humor seems to be the only way.

still nothing...this is very depressing

OK...do you remember that little sheet that they gave you on your interview date that had the time and person you would be interviewing with? on the bottom of that sheet it states that acceptances would be sent out certified mail on march 30th (looks like those of us still posting missed that date), waitlisted will be sent out the following week (hopefully all of us), and that rejects will be recieved by the end of April. So I'm crossing my fingers and checking the mail this week.

anyone...anything today? I am sitting at work counting the minutes before I can leave and check my mail.

Nothing from Mercer, but I did get a waitlist letter today from MCG. Kind of sucks that all we can hope for is a waitlist letter from Mercer at this point. Probably will not come in the mail until next week.