Meredith College Pre-Health Post-Bac 16-17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dscoggs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the Pre-Health Post-Bac Program at Meredith College. I will be doing the pre-med preparatory track. I'm excited because this program is below the radar since it's newer, but it has shown success for those interested in multiple areas of interest (pre-med, pre-dental, PA programs, etc.). Is there anyone else who will be part of the 2016-2017 cohort? If you all have any questions, feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Former student here, also happy to answer questions!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted to the Pre-Health Post-Bac Program at Meredith College. I will be doing the pre-med preparatory track. I'm excited because this program is below the radar since it's newer, but it has shown success for those interested in multiple areas of interest (pre-med, pre-dental, PA programs, etc.). Is there anyone else who will be part of the 2016-2017 cohort? If you all have any questions, feel free to ask.

I will be doing the post-bac pre-med track at Meredith for 2016-2017 as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Clark, how did you like the program? Did you feel like there were good resources? How was the advising?

I got in too! I'm choosing between a couple of programs at the moment. Meredith is looking good though.

Reactions: 1 user
Clark, how did you like the program? Did you feel like there were good resources? How was the advising?

I got in too! I'm choosing between a couple of programs at the moment. Meredith is looking good though.

I thought it was great! Meredith obviously is a small school so you won't have the same amounts of research, opportunities, etc., but the faculty are awesome and incredibly supportive. This support I think is hugely important because the program can be intense and draining at times. I felt very well prepared for the MCAT though and did well, and I attribute a lot of that to the classes at Meredith. And you can still do research for sure if that's an interest of yours.

I didn't have that much advising, because the classes are mostly setup for you if you're on the pre-med track. Obviously this will depend what you come in with, but I basically had to hit all the pre-reqs in 12 months so it was pretty set. But the faculty were always helpful with office hours and answering questions. We also had monthly meetings where we discussed different aspects of application processes (e.g. resumes, LOR, shadowing, volunteering).

Hey! Thanks for being so helpful with this. I saw your posts on the other thread as well, so thanks for giving back after completing your program!

I have a few questions for you as well. I'm going to be in the enhanced track for academic boosters... so i'm not sure how much you know about this.
1) how competitive is the program? i was accepted and am very grateful. however, i am worried about how reputable this program is in the eyes of DO and MD schools? especially since Meredith doesn't require an interview, i am concerned about how legit it is.

2) in terms of the class make up, how many of there were you? and how many were male/female?

3) i am a california resident and won't have the opportunity to check out any housing in person. what apartments would you recommend that are near campus and nice to live at? would prefer a single bedroom apartment for myself alone.

thanks again for taking the time, i really appreciate you for that :)

Hey! Thanks for being so helpful with this. I saw your posts on the other thread as well, so thanks for giving back after completing your program!

I have a few questions for you as well. I'm going to be in the enhanced track for academic boosters... so i'm not sure how much you know about this.
1) how competitive is the program? i was accepted and am very grateful. however, i am worried about how reputable this program is in the eyes of DO and MD schools? especially since Meredith doesn't require an interview, i am concerned about how legit it is.

2) in terms of the class make up, how many of there were you? and how many were male/female?

3) i am a california resident and won't have the opportunity to check out any housing in person. what apartments would you recommend that are near campus and nice to live at? would prefer a single bedroom apartment for myself alone.

Yeah happy to help!

I'm not exactly sure if you mean competitive within the cohort, like "gunner" type behavior for grades, or if competitive is equal to reputable like you mention, so I'll answer both. My group was incredibly helpful, as we often studied in groups, shared notes, etc etc. For reputation, Meredith is definitely a small school with not much in the way of recognition outside NC. With that said, I don't think it held me back at all. I ended up with a good number of interviews, all MD programs (I did not apply DO), and 3-4 of my interviews were at top 10/20/30 schools (depends on which "rankings" you use). I don't say that to brag, but to say that the reputation did not hinder me at all. Doing really well in a post-bacc, especially a 1-year intensive, will look good no matter what.

I think we had like 25 students overall, but it's sometimes hard to tell who all is in the cohort because you end up with different classes/schedules depending on if you're pre-med, pre-nursing, pre-PT/OT. There were about 1/3 male, 2/3 female.

And I did not end up living right near campus, so I can't speak real intelligently about the apartments down there. Couple of my friends did have places pretty close to the school, and I think it was a good setup for them. Depending on your budget, there are some around Cameron Village that would be nice (possibly $$$). I would suggest contact Meredith about housing (just for suggestions) and NC State too, since they're basically next door.

Yeah happy to help!

I'm not exactly sure if you mean competitive within the cohort, like "gunner" type behavior for grades, or if competitive is equal to reputable like you mention, so I'll answer both. My group was incredibly helpful, as we often studied in groups, shared notes, etc etc. For reputation, Meredith is definitely a small school with not much in the way of recognition outside NC. With that said, I don't think it held me back at all. I ended up with a good number of interviews, all MD programs (I did not apply DO), and 3-4 of my interviews were at top 10/20/30 schools (depends on which "rankings" you use). I don't say that to brag, but to say that the reputation did not hinder me at all. Doing really well in a post-bacc, especially a 1-year intensive, will look good no matter what.

I think we had like 25 students overall, but it's sometimes hard to tell who all is in the cohort because you end up with different classes/schedules depending on if you're pre-med, pre-nursing, pre-PT/OT. There were about 1/3 male, 2/3 female.

And I did not end up living right near campus, so I can't speak real intelligently about the apartments down there. Couple of my friends did have places pretty close to the school, and I think it was a good setup for them. Depending on your budget, there are some around Cameron Village that would be nice (possibly $$$). I would suggest contact Meredith about housing (just for suggestions) and NC State too, since they're basically next door.

How did you pay for this school? It seems rather expensive, to be honest. Thanks. :)

I just decided to join the 2016-2017 Meredith Post-bac preparatory cohort! Hello to my future classmates, very excited to join the program.

Yeah happy to help!

thank you!!!!! sincerely appreciate the info

How did you pay for this school? It seems rather expensive, to be honest. Thanks. :)

Yeah it was on the expensive side for sure. I had some money saved up coming in, so I paid for some of it using that. And then the rest was loans. You can apply for FAFSA and get almost all of it covered, but I remember the loan itself would have come up a little short if I had not had some savings beforehand. There's also private bank loans, but I'd avoid those if possible because the interest is a lot worse.

I will be doing the post-bac pre-med track at Meredith for 2016-2017 as well!

I just decided to join the 2016-2017 Meredith Post-bac preparatory cohort! Hello to my future classmates, very excited to join the program.

What is everyone's plans for housing? I'd like to find an apartment with some roommates in the program if anyone is interested?

Hello!

I know this post is old but, I'm considering a post bacc program. My grades were practically all C's at a large university and my GPA was much higher at a small community college so I think the smaller classes will be best for me. Is the program designed to help a student boost their GPA? After the program, is there a high acceptance rate at medical schools?