Meredith College Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted into Meredith's post-bacc pre-health program, but I'm worried about the move over there-- plus the start date.
I'd love to attend, but would love to hear more about the program and would love to know if anyone else has been admitted and is planning to attend!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! Does Meredith have any linkages to any medical schools around the area? Their curriculum sounds really good- I especially like how they provide opportunities to do clinical rotations and study abroad (though that would probably be another few thousand on top of what I have to pay). Also, I decided to apply to post-bacc programs pretty late (about a week ago) so I am scrambling to get my application in by March 1. Above comments mentioned secondary application..is there a different deadline for that or does EVERYTHING have to be turned in by March 1?

Last edited:
I have been accepted and found out about two/three weeks to receive a decision! Not sure what to do about this program since I won't get other admission decisions till after this program starts and would love feedback about the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's a week later and no acceptance in sight. I'm getting concerned that having a GPA under 3.0 might keep me from this program and I'm having trouble with getting a hold of anyone at the school. Did any of you apply with a GPA that low?

I have a 3.0 and no mcat and got an acceptance so don't give up hope yet! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have been accepted and found out about two/three weeks to receive a decision! Not sure what to do about this program since I won't get other admission decisions till after this program starts and would love feedback about the program!
Are you from out-of-state? I am, and I asked to talk to a bunch of out of state students, as well as asked them if they could extend the time where I could make a decision. Just talk to the director of the program... they're very generous. I love this program, but there are a couple places I am still waiting to hear back from. As for SecondChancePreDoc and others who are wondering about GPA-- I applied with a 2.71 GPA from my old institution. My current institution clean-slates pretty much everything, so my GPA is now 3.89. I'd say, I average out to a 3.3 GPA. Adding in the institutions I took summer classes in, I average to 3.65. I took STEM classes at my old institution and those classes were sub-3.0 (obviously, with 2.71) so you do have hope!

SecondChancePreDoc- when did you apply? Either way you apply, you should be hearing a hard yes or no from them soon. I heard within a month. Keep hopes up!

I submitted my application online January 28th and they received the last of my mailed in materials February 4th. Really hoping I hear soon so I can start making plans to move to NC!

How does this program calculate GPA? I have several institutions and just wondered if it averaged repeated courses or replaced repeated courses. Also, does it calculate everything or just the last 90 or 60 credit hours?
I am concerned about cost as it only gives loans for financial aid. Can anyone explain what their financial aid package was like? I receive full financial aid right now and am interested to know if I will receive enough loans to cover this program or if I would have to pay some out of pocket. If so, how much would the remaining cost be?
Thank you.

How does this program calculate GPA? I have several institutions and just wondered if it averaged repeated courses or replaced repeated courses. Also, does it calculate everything or just the last 90 or 60 credit hours?
I am concerned about cost as it only gives loans for financial aid. Can anyone explain what their financial aid package was like? I receive full financial aid right now and am interested to know if I will receive enough loans to cover this program or if I would have to pay some out of pocket. If so, how much would the remaining cost be?
Thank you.

I just saw a post about the cost. If I maxed out, I would have to pay $4,000+other fees, correct? If this is true, is there a payment plan for the $4,000 or is it due all at once?

They offer fed loans; however, it is not enough to cover the complete tuition so you are either independently wealthy or you work or take out private loans. Don't take out private loans- they are the devil.

Don't stress the GPA issue- make your application stand out from everyone else's with that same GPA. I don't know how they calculate your GPA, but there probably isn't a science to it. These are busy individuals teaching classes, writing letters of recc, engaging in student counseling. When it comes time to pick the next post bac cohort- they are probably just looking for folks who will excel in there program- I don't think GPA is highly weighted.

Any other pre-vet folks going to Meredith 2014-2015? I was admitted in January and will start classes in August. Skipping the summer since I only have 5-6 classes I need to take. Meredith is right down the street from NCSU's vet school, so it's pretty ideal. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the cohort in August. Any other old folks? (almost 40 here :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure I'm attending unless I get off the wait list for my first choice.

Adjusting to Raleigh will suck because I'm returning fairly quickly, but I might cut off my trip early to move.

I am totally late in the game on this, but I thought I stood a good chance of acceptance to my program of choice w/ my average stats and stellar ECs and clinical hours. The admission counselor there told me I should do this program. I didn't even know what it was before then and I see the deadline was March 1st. Does anyone attending know if there are still seats available or can you give me more info on what this is alllll about? There is not much info on the website and I'm playing phone tag with Ander Merritt, the coordinator.

They offer fed loans; however, it is not enough to cover the complete tuition so you are either independently wealthy or you work or take out private loans. Don't take out private loans- they are the devil.

Don't stress the GPA issue- make your application stand out from everyone else's with that same GPA. I don't know how they calculate your GPA, but there probably isn't a science to it. These are busy individuals teaching classes, writing letters of recc, engaging in student counseling. When it comes time to pick the next post bac cohort- they are probably just looking for folks who will excel in there program- I don't think GPA is highly weighted.

Hey! What was your courseload like?

They just started accepting individuals for the 2012-2013 year and I hadn't seen any threads made for Meredith (it is a brand new Post bac program) so here is the first! I was just accepted, but I am still hoping for some other acceptances so that I can have a choice! I will post any pertinent information for all you when it comes available to me.

Hi there. I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about the "clinical experience" that you you are required to do in this program. Was it mostly shadowing? Were you able to build strong enough relationships with the doctors or dentists you shadowed that they could possibly write you a letter of recommendation? A recommendation from a dentist is what I am most worried about for my application, since I have never had a clinical job to build this kind of relationship.

Hi there. I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about the "clinical experience" that you you are required to do in this program. Was it mostly shadowing? Were you able to build strong enough relationships with the doctors or dentists you shadowed that they could possibly write you a letter of recommendation? A recommendation from a dentist is what I am most worried about for my application, since I have never had a clinical job to build this kind of relationship.

Hey,

Not sure what the clinical experience looks like now since it was years ago that I completed the program, but when I was there it was all in my court. That is to say I had to look to find a doctor and an experience to take part in. The strong relationships I built were with the teachers and yes, they wrote me SOLID letters of rec. I think that really made a huge difference in my applications to med school.

If all that you are worried about is a strong letter of rec from a dentist and everything else from your application is solid then just find a dentist that would be willing to let you shadow for a full week. 40 hours of shadowing is what I did when I was at Meredith and I had to take the initiative to get it done. Don't worry about needing to have a clinical job- if you can articulate your reasons for choosing a career in dentistry and have some formable experiences that show your commitment then you should be good; however, I truly can't attest to this since I never applied to dental school, but I am assuming that medicine and dentistry programs have a similar application process.

Hope that helps and best of luck to you.

Hey big study how is is going in medical school?

For you guys enroll in the program, when does the 2015-2016 application cycle begin? This coming cycle will be mine. I am just trying to boost my GPA; I will graduate from nursing school this May with a cGPA of 3.4/sGPA 4.0.

Happy Easterto y'all!

Big Study,

I am going to applying to Meredith's Career Changer program and I have a few questions for you. What was your daily schedule like while at Meredith? Did you have classes every day or where you able to stack your schedule onto a couple of days if you wanted? Is it just like any school where you pick from the available classes schedule or does a counselor pick all your classes for you? I live in Jacksonville, NC (about 2 1/2hrs east of Raleigh) and would like to stay here but I know I may have to get a room near campus.

Your medical school acceptance to UW-SOM single-handily convinced me to apply to Meredith (of course also taking in some of your other advice and applying to many other programs as well). Would you mind disclosing your MCAT and GPA at Meredith in order to put that acceptance into perspective. I understand my background story, volunteering and interview will also weigh heavily in any acceptance but I figure one's MCAT and GPA get you that interview.

I have a bachelor in business (3.7 cumulative GPA) that I completed about 4 years ago but haven’t taken a science class in around 10 years so I'm starting from scratch.
Idoitforv

Another former student checking in here ... Let me know if yall have questions!

Is the GRE weighted heavily when applying to Meredith's post-bacc program?

Is the GRE weighted heavily when applying to Meredith's post-bacc program?

I would say that it is one factor, but certainly not an all-determining part. I also don't think that it is required if you have not already taken it (SAT or ACT would work). I definitely think that the review process is very holistic and will consider GPA, EC's, service, etc.

For you guys enroll in the program, when does the 2015-2016 application cycle begin? This coming cycle will be mine. I am just trying to boost my GPA; I will graduate from nursing school this May with a cGPA of 3.4/sGPA 4.0.

Happy Easterto y'all!

In case big study doesn't reply, the cycle will likely begin in the fall. You would definitely be ahead of the curve if you send it in sometime in the next few months. I think I sent my stuff in around Christmas.

Big Study,

I am going to applying to Meredith's Career Changer program and I have a few questions for you. What was your daily schedule like while at Meredith? Did you have classes every day or where you able to stack your schedule onto a couple of days if you wanted? Is it just like any school where you pick from the available classes schedule or does a counselor pick all your classes for you? I live in Jacksonville, NC (about 2 1/2hrs east of Raleigh) and would like to stay here but I know I may have to get a room near campus.

Your medical school acceptance to UW-SOM single-handily convinced me to apply to Meredith (of course also taking in some of your other advice and applying to many other programs as well). Would you mind disclosing your MCAT and GPA at Meredith in order to put that acceptance into perspective. I understand my background story, volunteering and interview will also weigh heavily in any acceptance but I figure one's MCAT and GPA get you that interview.

I have a bachelor in business (3.7 cumulative GPA) that I completed about 4 years ago but haven’t taken a science class in around 10 years so I'm starting from scratch.
Idoitforv

Again, replying in case big study does not :)

Classes were very regular throughout the week, and could not really be stacked. During the summer sessions, it was M-F, with labs two of those days. In the fall/spring semesters, it was also M-F. The courses are sometimes sectioned off as post-bacc only, but then others are mixed with undergrad students. Because of this, the M/W/F classes were usually 50 minutes long, while the T/Thu classes were 1:20 long. Physics were night classes too (e.g. 5:30 - 7 pm). I think it'd be tough to live in Jacksonville, although I know that one member of my class lived in a city about the same distance as you.

You do have some control over your schedule, but since you will be starting over, you'll be somewhat "forced" to take those pre-reqs. You will handle your registration, but Dr. Marritt and the other professors will be happy to advise you as well.

In case big study doesn't reply, the cycle will likely begin in the fall. You would definitely be ahead of the curve if you send it in sometime in the next few months. I think I sent my stuff in around Christmas.

Thank you Clark_Griswold for the reply.

I sent my application in May 2015 for FA 2016. I talked to Sylvia and she said they will let me know in September whether or not I have been accepted.
DO you think the post bacc was/is helpful gaining admission in MD/DO school?

Thank you Clark_Griswold for the reply.

I sent my application in May 2015 for FA 2016. I talked to Sylvia and she said they will let me know in September whether or not I have been accepted.
DO you think the post bacc was/is helpful gaining admission in MD/DO school?

Well I'm in the midst of applying now but I would say yes because multiple people from previous cohorts have gotten in. Several people got into UNC, one into Duke, several DO schools, Rush, Pitt, etc. So yes definitely helpful!

Hello! I am interested in this program.

I am mainly worried about finances and success rate.

1. Is it feasible to have a job while in this program?

2. If I do max out of federal loans (and I have a feeling I will) how can I pay the $4k others have mentioned?

3. What is the student environment of this program? Is it cut throat? Do people care about helping one another?

4. What is the percentage of A's given out at this institution?

5. How can one easily find affordable housing if they are out of state?

6. What allopathic medical schools have people gotten into after this program?

7. What gap year activities have people done?

8. For those that chose this program, why? And do you regret it? (I saw OP and was inspired. Want to see other peoples response, too.)

Thanks in advance!

Meredith has been on my radar since I started researching post bac programs and the thought of relocating for the program is a plus. I currently live in California so I am interested in anyone who has relocated for the program?

Hi, so I'm planning on applying to Meredith I took the MCAT, got a score above the cut off. I have a cGPA of 3.4, would that be a problem when applying to Meredith also I don't have any of the prerequisites would I be able to add on extra course work like calculus, bio-statistics and biochemistry. That would be like 8 courses all together.
Thanks in advance

Hello! I am interested in this program.

I am mainly worried about finances and success rate.

1. Is it feasible to have a job while in this program?

2. If I do max out of federal loans (and I have a feeling I will) how can I pay the $4k others have mentioned?

3. What is the student environment of this program? Is it cut throat? Do people care about helping one another?

4. What is the percentage of A's given out at this institution?

5. How can one easily find affordable housing if they are out of state?

6. What allopathic medical schools have people gotten into after this program?

7. What gap year activities have people done?

8. For those that chose this program, why? And do you regret it? (I saw OP and was inspired. Want to see other peoples response, too.)

Thanks in advance!

1) You can have a job, but you'll have to be very good at managing your time! It's an intensive program, as you will be taking about 3 science classes at a time, most of which have a lab component as well. The class times allow for jobs, but it makes for a very crammed schedule.

2) I paid mine out of pocket (hooray for spouses with great jobs :) ) but others in my cohort took out private loans from banks I believe.

3) My class was super collaborative. Hardly cutthroat at all, as everyone genuinely wanted to see others succeed. The professors are also very supportive.

4) Not sure on this. A couple of my classes had some element of curving, but others did not.

5) Raleigh housing is fairly affordable, depending on where you're coming from. None of my classmates voiced concerns about housing. There are TONS of apartment complexes within 10-15 minutes, and several down near NC State, which Meredith is right next to.

6) ECU, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Rush, perhaps some others I'm not thinking of.

7) It varies. Some work, volunteer, shadow, do some research, etc. There is lots of freedom to pursue what you would like to do.

8) I am not accepted to med school yet, but I do not regret it. My classes prepared me very well and I got a great MCAT score. I also was aiming to establish NC residency, so the program just made sense. The committee letter that they are able to provide is also good because this satisfies the LOR requirements at almost every school. Plus the classes are small so the profs get to know you well.

Meredith has been on my radar since I started researching post bac programs and the thought of relocating for the program is a plus. I currently live in California so I am interested in anyone who has relocated for the program?

I relocated from the Midwest for the program, and found that I liked NC a lot more than where I was previously ha. Several others in my class also moved from various states. PM me if you have specific questions.

Hi, so I'm planning on applying to Meredith I took the MCAT, got a score above the cut off. I have a cGPA of 3.4, would that be a problem when applying to Meredith

I don't think so; and regardless apply anyways- what's the worst that can happen? I think I had a 3.0 or 3.1 or something when I applied. As you have read in the thread if you are absolutely sold on Meredith go down and talk to the program coordinator- meet people and shake hands and show them that you want a chance. This way you are not another GPA, MCAT, LOR, and Personal Statement, but a real person showing genuine interest.

I don't have any of the prerequisites. Would I be able to add on extra course work like calculus, bio-statistics and biochemistry. That would be like 8 courses all together.

Are these prerequisites for medical school? I am sure they would let you take them as long as you can find time in your schedule to fit them in... If you were to get into Meredith and they didn't have a class you needed you could always complete that one online somewhere- trust me, there is a way. Yes, that might cost extra, but forget about that, take the loans out and get your education and get into med school.

Right now I have admission into Lewis University at Illinois which would mean I have to move, plus its two times the cost and duration.
Do you think I should just move and start at Lewis or I should take my chances at Meredith.

This is totally your call. Twice the price and twice the time commitment is kinda steep and I personally would look into other options. If you are desperate and feel this is your only chance then take it, but if you are trying to stay put in NC and don't get into Meredith I think there are other great options available to you there in NC (though they might not be as structured as the Meredith post bacc).

Is the Meredith program really gonna take 1 year if I decide to do all these courses? or I should just register for courses now in like UNC's friday center while waiting for Meredith's to start?

Yes, it takes a full year. Look up Meredith's class offerings, I am sure a web search or dropping by their bookstore would get you a course catalog. If they don't offer you a course you need then take it elsewhere. I would not wait around for an acceptance though you sure could knock out a class or two AT LEAST prior to starting a post bacc where ever that post bacc is going to be.

Also, can I apply to medical schools before I get my prerequisites done. Say I want to enter in 2017, and I begin Meredith by 2016. I wont get my scores till spring of 2017, would I be considered.

For sure, I applied to medical schools in the Fall of my post bacc year with only 5 course grades in the book from Meredith with a full semester still to be complete and had interviews and acceptances. If you have already taken the MCAT then you are golden!

The schedule was not horrible- it was a full time hard science course load though. M-F 8-5 with lots of library time in-between classes and they also had night courses. The counselor puts your course together with you. That would be a crazy drive, but I guess people do it... I would move into Raleigh and plan on school 5 days a week if you make it in.

MCAT was below a 30, none of that matters now since there is a new scoring system. My GPA... 3.0 or 3.1 something like that. I think what helped me get into UW was that I was a reapplicant. When I didn't get in the first year I call the head of admissions and asked to schedule a phone conversation with her. We met over the phone a couple of days later and I asked for specifics, what I could do specifically to my application to get into UW and what followed was not easy to hear, it hurt a lot, but it was my ticket to my dream school.

They told me that everything we were to talk about in the following conversation would be added to my application. This actually played in my favor as an opportunity to prove my commitment. I also picked up by the tone of her voice that she most likely, and frequently, gets indignant premeds on the phone who offer her excuses as to why they should be accepted or why their application already has what the admission committees are looking for. I didn't want to be one of these so I sat down with pen and paper, biting my tongue, and wrote out every single point she made. My list looked something like this:

1. Better MCAT score
  2. Better GPA
  3. More upper division hard biology courses
  4. More shadowing
  5. More healthcare experiences
  6. More non-healthcare experiences
  7. 3 new letters of recommendation from new writers
  8. A brand new personal statement
After my initial application cycle of working so hard to complete all these things, it is so crushing to hear that you basically need to redo it all. In short, she basically asked me to be a different person and rightfully so, I didn't have the GPA/MCAT/track record that really proved I could take on multiple hard courses and concepts, master them and move on. I spent three days being down and then I decided I was going to spend a year doing exactly what she asked of me to do. Being that she wrote everything down in my application file, I knew that 1 year from that point I would be at an interview with folks who had access to her notes, notes from the HEAD OF ADMISSIONS who gave me advice on my application. If I didn't follow her advice to a tee, why did I even reapply. EVERYTHING she said I did and Meredith helped me tremendously with all those goals.

Good luck! The hard sciences are hard, but they are needed and you are really respected for completing them prior getting into med school. Study hard!

Awesome!!! Delivered a baby yesterday, have helped out in surgery, removed a ingrown toenail a couple weeks ago, did a joint aspiration, counseled folks on birth control and depression and a whole bunch of other things and I am only 8 weeks into my clinical training- I love this stuff!!! My learning has morphed from "I might see this on the test, I should know it" to "I might see this with a patient in clinic tomorrow, I better know it!" I absolutely love this life God has granted me.

Hi, so I'm planning on applying to Meredith I took the MCAT, got a score above the cut off. I have a cGPA of 3.4, would that be a problem when applying to Meredith

I don't think so; and regardless apply anyways- what's the worst that can happen? I think I had a 3.0 or 3.1 or something when I applied. As you have read in the thread if you are absolutely sold on Meredith go down and talk to the program coordinator- meet people and shake hands and show them that you want a chance. This way you are not another GPA, MCAT, LOR, and Personal Statement, but a real person showing genuine interest.

I don't have any of the prerequisites. Would I be able to add on extra course work like calculus, bio-statistics and biochemistry. That would be like 8 courses all together.

Are these prerequisites for medical school? I am sure they would let you take them as long as you can find time in your schedule to fit them in... If you were to get into Meredith and they didn't have a class you needed you could always complete that one online somewhere- trust me, there is a way. Yes, that might cost extra, but forget about that, take the loans out and get your education and get into med school.

Right now I have admission into Lewis University at Illinois which would mean I have to move, plus its two times the cost and duration.
Do you think I should just move and start at Lewis or I should take my chances at Meredith.

This is totally your call. Twice the price and twice the time commitment is kinda steep and I personally would look into other options. If you are desperate and feel this is your only chance then take it, but if you are trying to stay put in NC and don't get into Meredith I think there are other great options available to you there in NC (though they might not be as structured as the Meredith post bacc).

Is the Meredith program really gonna take 1 year if I decide to do all these courses? or I should just register for courses now in like UNC's friday center while waiting for Meredith's to start?

Yes, it takes a full year. Look up Meredith's class offerings, I am sure a web search or dropping by their bookstore would get you a course catalog. If they don't offer you a course you need then take it elsewhere. I would not wait around for an acceptance though you sure could knock out a class or two AT LEAST prior to starting a post bacc where ever that post bacc is going to be.

Also, can I apply to medical schools before I get my prerequisites done. Say I want to enter in 2017, and I begin Meredith by 2016. I wont get my scores till spring of 2017, would I be considered.

For sure, I applied to medical schools in the Fall of my post bacc year with only 5 course grades in the book from Meredith with a full semester still to be complete and had interviews and acceptances. If you have already taken the MCAT then you are golden!

The schedule was not horrible- it was a full time hard science course load though. M-F 8-5 with lots of library time in-between classes and they also had night courses. The counselor puts your course together with you. That would be a crazy drive, but I guess people do it... I would move into Raleigh and plan on school 5 days a week if you make it in.

MCAT was below a 30, none of that matters now since there is a new scoring system. My GPA... 3.0 or 3.1 something like that. I think what helped me get into UW was that I was a reapplicant. When I didn't get in the first year I call the head of admissions and asked to schedule a phone conversation with her. We met over the phone a couple of days later and I asked for specifics, what I could do specifically to my application to get into UW and what followed was not easy to hear, it hurt a lot, but it was my ticket to my dream school.

They told me that everything we were to talk about in the following conversation would be added to my application. This actually played in my favor as an opportunity to prove my commitment. I also picked up by the tone of her voice that she most likely, and frequently, gets indignant premeds on the phone who offer her excuses as to why they should be accepted or why their application already has what the admission committees are looking for. I didn't want to be one of these so I sat down with pen and paper, biting my tongue, and wrote out every single point she made. My list looked something like this:

1. Better MCAT score
  2. Better GPA
  3. More upper division hard biology courses
  4. More shadowing
  5. More healthcare experiences
  6. More non-healthcare experiences
  7. 3 new letters of recommendation from new writers
  8. A brand new personal statement
After my initial application cycle of working so hard to complete all these things, it is so crushing to hear that you basically need to redo it all. In short, she basically asked me to be a different person and rightfully so, I didn't have the GPA/MCAT/track record that really proved I could take on multiple hard courses and concepts, master them and move on. I spent three days being down and then I decided I was going to spend a year doing exactly what she asked of me to do. Being that she wrote everything down in my application file, I knew that 1 year from that point I would be at an interview with folks who had access to her notes, notes from the HEAD OF ADMISSIONS who gave me advice on my application. If I didn't follow her advice to a tee, why did I even reapply. EVERYTHING she said I did and Meredith helped me tremendously with all those goals.

Good luck! The hard sciences are hard, but they are needed and you are really respected for completing them prior getting into med school. Study hard!

Awesome!!! Delivered a baby yesterday, have helped out in surgery, removed a ingrown toenail a couple weeks ago, did a joint aspiration, counseled folks on birth control and depression and a whole bunch of other things and I am only 8 weeks into my clinical training- I love this stuff!!! My learning has morphed from "I might see this on the test, I should know it" to "I might see this with a patient in clinic tomorrow, I better know it!" I absolutely love this life God has granted me.

Thanks!!

Seeing if there are any others that have accepted an offer for the 2016-2017 class at Meredith?!

Seeing if there are any others that have accepted an offer for the 2016-2017 class at Meredith?!

I will be attending Meredith's Post-Bac Pre-Health Program for 2016-2017 as well! I am having trouble finding apartments that are close to campus. Do you happen to know of any?

I will be attending Meredith's Post-Bac Pre-Health Program for 2016-2017 as well! I am having trouble finding apartments that are close to campus. Do you happen to know of any?
I've been accepted too! Currently deciding between a few programs, but I think Meredith is at the top of my list. What are y'all's plans for housing?

I've been accepted too! Currently deciding between a few programs, but I think Meredith is at the top of my list. What are y'all's plans for housing?

I haven't decided where to live yet. I drove to Raleigh recently and there are so many options close to Meredith that the internet doesn't show you. I am still waiting to find out how much financial aid I am going to receive before deciding on a place to live.

They just started accepting individuals for the 2012-2013 year and I hadn't seen any threads made for Meredith (it is a brand new Post bac program) so here is the first! I was just accepted, but I am still hoping for some other acceptances so that I can have a choice! I will post any pertinent information for all you when it comes available to me.

Thanks for being so rad and communicating everything with all of us! It's seriously sick that you are still taking the time to do that.

I have a few questions for you as well. I'm going to be in the enhanced track for academic boosters... so i'm not sure how much you know about this.
1) how competitive is the program? i was accepted and am very grateful. however, i am worried about how reputable this program is in the eyes of DO and MD schools? especially since Meredith doesn't require an interview, i am concerned about how legit it is.

2) in terms of the class make up, how many of there were you? and how many were male/female?

3) i am a california resident and won't have the opportunity to check out any housing in person. what apartments would you recommend that are near campus and nice to live at? would prefer a single bedroom apartment for myself alone.

thanks again!!!

Thanks for being so rad and communicating everything with all of us!

-Paying it forward. I loved Meredith and it feels great to give back in a very very small way.

1) how competitive is the program?

-Meredith is legit. I was accepted to a top tier MD program after being at Meredith for only two semesters. However, more important than Meredith's name is your grades and LORs for medical school, I promise. Meredith provides you a stellar learning environment by learning from quality professors in a small class setting. This amounts to your professors knowing you well = Quality LORs. The basic science courses I took in my first year of medical school were comparable to the courses I took at Meredith. They prepared me well. Congrats on your acceptance! I would not let the opportunity pass you by.

2) in terms of the class make up, how many of there were you? and how many were male/female?

-This is addressed somewhere in the thread, but I think the cohort is bigger now.

3) What apartments would you recommend that are near campus and nice to live at?

- I couldn't say. My wife and I were in Durham at the time and we commuted everyday. You might PM some other Meredith alumni and ask or they could post to the forum too. Good luck!

thanks again!!!

Word

I'm a CA resident and just got in too for the 2016-2017 year. I'm seriously considering this program but due to some life circumstances it's looking like i might not be able to go anywhere for a year so I'm wondering if I'll be allowed to defer until summer or fall 2017. I'm going to call Andrea first thing tomorrow and find out. Congrats to everyone who got in.

I'm a CA resident and just got in too for the 2016-2017 year. I'm seriously considering this program but due to some life circumstances it's looking like i might not be able to go anywhere for a year so I'm wondering if I'll be allowed to defer until summer or fall 2017. I'm going to call Andrea first thing tomorrow and find out. Congrats to everyone who got in.
i really hope it works out for you!!!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want to clog up the boards with a repeat thread. Does anyone have experience with the program catered to those seeking to improve their record? Does it take as long as the track for career-changers? And more importantly, did it successfully help make up for poor stats/general resume?

My numbers are quite low (3.38 cGPA and 2.97 sGPA) so would this type of program do much in the way of helping?

The tracks aren't really separate (you take classes together and sometimes even with the undergrads), but your goal determines which classes you take and how long it will take to do it. If you have no science prereqs and have to start from the beginning, then typically you would take all of the intro prereqs over one summer and one full academic year. If you only need to supplement your GPA or finish certain prereqs, then you don't have to go for the summer session(s), but you must take at least 12 credits per semester for two semesters during the academic year. The program can be a great opportunity to supplement your GPA, provided you are willing and able to work very hard in order to achieve high grades in the classes. The classes are definitely not easy, especially the advanced level classes (genetics, biochem, etc), so it is definitely necessary to apply yourself to get A's. Feel free to let me know if you have more specific questions, either here or by private message.

The tracks aren't really separate (you take classes together and sometimes even with the undergrads), but your goal determines which classes you take and how long it will take to do it. If you have no science prereqs and have to start from the beginning, then typically you would take all of the intro prereqs over one summer and one full academic year. If you only need to supplement your GPA or finish certain prereqs, then you don't have to go for the summer session(s), but you must take at least 12 credits per semester for two semesters during the academic year. The program can be a great opportunity to supplement your GPA, provided you are willing and able to work very hard in order to achieve high grades in the classes. The classes are definitely not easy, especially the advanced level classes (genetics, biochem, etc), so it is definitely necessary to apply yourself to get A's. Feel free to let me know if you have more specific questions, either here or by private message.

Hey I was looking to apply to this program for the following year (2017). I had a 3.45 overall and I think a 3.6 science. I'm mostly just worried about retaking the MCAT because I took it in 2013, before it changed, and did terribly. I have been out of the game because I wanted to work awhile and just now began studying again. I feel like it would be better to do a post-bac and study for the MCAT at the same time so I am in that realm. Would you say this program helped you to do better on the MCAT and would it be worth it?? I was accepted to LECOM post-bacc 2 years ago but decided not to go at the time. Since I live so close to Raleigh, I feel like this would be a great opportunity..