Merit Based Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSK

New Kid In Town
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I will be applying for undergarduate level merit based scholarships. I am in end of my freshmen year and will be applying for it next year. As i still have couple of months How can i maximise my chances of getting these merit based scholarships? All that comes to my mind is good GPA, SAT and personal statement. I am also doing research so that can also count to my academic achievements. My first 2 semesters were very bad but then i started doing hard work and i hope that i will get my GPA back to 3.8 or 3.9 by the end of year. Do you have some advice? Things i should do before applying.

Thanks,
DrSK

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your third semester as a freshman? What was your GPA prior to this semester? How many credits are you taking now, & what does it look like you will probably get in those classes this semester? The next question might seem to be off topic, but it could also be determining factor in which scholarship programs were available to you. I was wondering if you are a foreign student or if English is not the primary language in your home. The syntax of your sentences has led me to believe that might be the case.

It sounds like you have made a good turn around in your performance. This is good. Scholarships usually take in past performance, as well as current performance. So, it would be helpful if you could tell us about the previous semesters.

One thing that might help with some of those merit scholarships, is being able to show that you have been involved in community volunteer work. Some merit scholarships take that into consideration, as well as your grades.

Good luck!:luck:

Thanks for replying.

Yes i am an international student. So only few departmental scholarships are available. It is my third semester but summer was vacation semester so i took only 8 credit hours that means i had only one full time semester. My cumulative GPA is 1.33 but during this fall(2007) semester and next spring(2008) semester i will be repeating some of the classes and as i am doing good in my classes i can easily boost my GPA to 3.7-4.0 . I could apply for some of scholarships in next fall(2008) and spring(2009) semester. I have not done any community service yet but i have been doing some research work for 5-6 months.

Thanks.