Stendek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2004
Status
Just wondering if any schools have started throwing money around? Don't be shy- we won't hate you...

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Wow, already? Let's keep this thread alive... i have no new info to add to it, for now.

krelian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
ditto on vanderbilt. they give out early notifications about merit scholarships. univ. of pitt. also has a scholarship for people interested in doing academic medicine.

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Actually I do have something to add to this thread - apparently Mayo has already begun giving out their full rides, as per mdapplicants.com
Congrats to all those who have received one of these... Desperately hoping I may someday be among you.

mebhs15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2004
University of South Carolina has given a few full scholarships.

bidster

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
sockandmittens said:
uchicago

anyone know when umich starts?
In the online chat last week, they said they would give all merit awards at the end of march.

olddoc1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Status
The Universities of Kentucky and Louisville have at least started giving out merit scholarships (not sure if they are finished).

TMag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status
Tulane has as well

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
I've mentioned this before in previous threads, but I just want to repeat myself.

If the dean's don't offer you money - ASK for some. Beg or bargain if you have to. ADCOMS have plenty of discretionary funds to lure applicants, but they might not give YOU any if you don't ask! Don't forget - everyone who gets into med school deserves merit money because they're all great students!!

flaming_gypsy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Sto. Dgo.
Visit site
Status
two questions.

when will the nanaline duke scholarships be awarded?

is there any chance at all that harvard will offer scholarship money? and since i{m guessing the answer is no, is there any possibility of getting loans or grants if i still haven{t submitted my fafsa or harvard forms?

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Darn, I'm looking at some of the schools mentioned on this thread, and wishing I had applied to them. :laugh: Not that I stand much chance of anything.

Monstermatch, how does one go about requesting $$ politely?? And when?

Flaming, I would guess the answer to your second question is no. I do wonder with some schools, whether they'd increase their grant-based financial aid to help sway someone's decision. Of course, I doubt Harvard thinks it needs to do anything like that to sway someone's decision.

LRmed2003

BlueDevil turn'd TarHeel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
actually..harvard does have some discretionary funds as well. but they usually won't throw it at you until you've sold the farm and have tons of loans to boot! check the financial aid section of the booklet they gave out on interview day...the "sample student" scenarios definitely have some "HMS scholarship" money...but they also have hella loans.. as for the nanaline duke scholarships? i'm not sure..maybe they'll come in the acceptance packet or maybe someone should call the financial aid office to ask.. $$$ is kinda a big factor in determining where i go..sooo..i'ma need these lil' financial aid offices to speed it up with the offers...i can't be waiting on may15th like "gee..i wonder when ____'s financial aid packet will come?" esp when all of my fin aid stuff has been done since end of january.. :p

~L

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
An Yong said:
Ohio State
:eek: holy crap, your post is 2 weeks old, too!!! come on buckeyes, show me some love (love meaning money, of course)!

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sockandmittens said:
uchicago

anyone know when umich starts?
do tell more of this uchicago merit money you speak of... was it included in your acceptance packet or did you get it later, etc

I was also wondering about the duke scholarships but i think id be lucky to get in even and i sure don't want to jinx that! ;)

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
upenn also has merit scholarships... i think both these schools look for rhodes scholar type material in giving them out... but here's to hoping.

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Case's merit scholarships have applications which are only given by invite only. If we didn't get an invite to apply with our acceptance material, should we just assume that we're not in the running for them?

laxgirl9

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2004
Berkeley
Status
Out of curiousity, what stats make an applicant competitive for merit scholarships? I'm not applying this year, but I will be this summer.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
leechy said:
upenn also has merit scholarships... i think both these schools look for rhodes scholar type material in giving them out... but here's to hoping.
Funny. I actually know a Rhodes scholar who got all kinds of money thrown at him by UPenn. He was also invited to the annual AAMC meeting or some weird stuff like that. He was all my interviewer at UPenn talked about, which kinda made me sick 'cause I ain't a Rhodes scholar. I felt so jealous of the guy, who I actually knew, that I decided not to drop by to see him as I had initially planned.

bidster

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
GuyLaroche said:
Funny. I actually know a Rhodes scholar who got all kinds of money thrown at him by UPenn. He was also invited to the annual AAMC meeting or some weird stuff like that.
Did the Rhodes Scholar you're talking about go to UIndiana for undergrad? I stayed with a first-year friend when I was up there and met a few of her close friends, one of whom was a Rhodes....just wondering if the world is indeed that small....

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
bidster said:
Did the Rhodes Scholar you're talking about go to UIndiana for undergrad? I stayed with a first-year friend when I was up there and met a few of her close friends, one of whom was a Rhodes....just wondering if the world is indeed that small....
No. He is a 2nd year, this Rhodes scholar.

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
laxgirl9 said:
Out of curiousity, what stats make an applicant competitive for merit scholarships? I'm not applying this year, but I will be this summer.
It depends on the school. Through my perusal of mdapplicants, I've seen some schools give merit $$ to people with moderately decent numbers and great ECs... while other schools give money to those with great numbers and moderately decent ECs. It seems pretty arbitrary, though in retrospect I do wish I had applied to more schools who give this kind of $$.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Larsitron said:
Case's merit scholarships have applications which are only given by invite only. If we didn't get an invite to apply with our acceptance material, should we just assume that we're not in the running for them?
can someone answer this question?

CalicoKat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Has anyone heard about those merit scholarships at Emory? I thought they were going to start picking finalists early in the year, but no one I know who's gotten in has heard anything--still, it is apparently only 12 people who get invited to interview for it or something like that, so I thought I'd expand the question to a wider audience.

pratik7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
CalicoKat said:
Has anyone heard about those merit scholarships at Emory? I thought they were going to start picking finalists early in the year, but no one I know who's gotten in has heard anything--still, it is apparently only 12 people who get invited to interview for it or something like that, so I thought I'd expand the question to a wider audience.
Yes, emory does have merit scholarships. I know a current student that gets half of their tution in scholarships. FYI she had a 36 and a 3.8ish gpa.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
I just found out on Friday that I got a FULL RIDE to the Hogwarts School of Medicine.

I'm so ecstatic!

CalicoKat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Thanks Pratik and RunMimi--I'm glad some people are in the know, even if I'm not one of them:)

ramblinwreckie

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
superdevil said:
can someone answer this question?
i'd assume so, but i don't really know. my invitation came with my acceptance letter. i'd email someone at case to find out.

el_chavo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Chicago
www.geocities.com
Status
CarleneM said:
do tell more of this uchicago merit money you speak of... was it included in your acceptance packet or did you get it later, etc
I would also like to know more. I was told no money stuff would come out of them until April.

brothersboff

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
University of Oklahoma also has (it came in the acceptance packet)

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
dcham said:
UT Southwestern has given out a few scholarships
they are also very nice to out of staters, who get to pay in-state tuition!

logos

100% Organic
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Out there.
Status
Attending Physician
An Yong said:
Ohio State

I was under the impression that OSU only had need-based aid. Am I wrong? What merit based stuff is available, if you dont mind me asking?

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
logos said:
I was under the impression that OSU only had need-based aid. Am I wrong? What merit based stuff is available, if you dont mind me asking?
they offer several 10k/year dean's scholarships, I actually remember them telling us about during the financial aid session on my interview day. I think there's a 20k one year scholarship as well.

bigdan said:
SUNY Upstate and Jefferson are at it too.

dc
what do you mean jefferson is at it lol?

ps does anyone know when the drexel merit money info comes out?

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
C1654 said:
Umich started giving out scholarships today.
Congratulations! Was the notification through email or snail mail?

summervacation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
Not sure about how it works this year, but I received a full scholarship to UMich last year (it was rolling) and from what I can tell it was a pretty subjective selection process. My grades/scores were good but not stellar, leadership/research were my strengths and I think I had a really positive interview.

The notification last year came as an email from the dean of admissions and via snail mail.

Good luck as you make your decisions!

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
C1654 said:
I received an email this evening around 5 eastern.
Cool, thanks for the information.

Now that a lot of people have heard from lots of schools, is anyone in the position of choosing between $$$ and a prestigious school? I know that this has been discussed in the past, and I've read those threads, but it might be worth reviving the discussion. Does getting money basically settle the decision for all of you?

EpointH

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Status
leechy said:
Cool, thanks for the information.

Now that a lot of people have heard from lots of schools, is anyone in the position of choosing between $$$ and a prestigious school? I know that this has been discussed in the past, and I've read those threads, but it might be worth reviving the discussion. Does getting money basically settle the decision for all of you?
Do you by any chance have the links for any of those threads? I'm not having too much luck finding them by searching, and would be interested to read them. Thanks!!

krelian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
leechy said:
I'm waiting for financial aid letters from all the schools that I'm interested in. Depending on one's financial situation, the difference between a full-tuition scholarship and a regular aid package may not be that huge. Also, since scholarships only cover tuition and not living expenses, I'm still considering some med schools that are close to home, because I can save a lot of money by living at home.

OP
S

Stendek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2004
Status
Does anyone know if they ALL went out last week or if they are distributed over the next few weeks? Thanks!

DK3

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Stendek said:
Does anyone know if they ALL went out last week or if they are distributed over the next few weeks? Thanks!

I think it varies. I know two people who got it last year, one in Nov and the other one not till late April. This year I know somebody who already got it (not an SDN person). Even though they only give 10 total, I think more will be given out in May once people decide if they're going.