Merit scholarship for continuing students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmdphd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I am in the awkward position of having to drop the MD-PhD and head straight for the MD (this is because of very personal reasons). I am in the process of starting the financial aid application for continuing students, though I have not officially started. I still have to infom my PD of my decision. Do continuing students ever get considered for merit scholarships? Or are only merit scholarships granted to incoming students?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes, continuing students at my school can apply for merit schoalrships

It's possible. Though dropping your MSTP portion isn't going to be a strong motivating factor for your medical school to give you further financial assistance (they get funds from the government to invest in your education, but also use some of their own). Especially considering you'll have classmates who aren't coming into next year debt-free like yourself, I wouldn't count on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The government should pursue you and demand its money back if this is the case. I was unaware I could attend my school as an MSTP student and simply drop the PhD with no financial ramifications. Couldn't someone finish M1 and M2, drop the PhD, then proceed to M3 and M4 with only 1/2 the debt of their classmates?

So let me get this straight, you take a competitive MSTP spot only to drop the PhD and now want some kind of scholarship to pay for your M.D. only? :laugh:

I swear the posts on this forum are getting worse and worse every year.

So let me get this straight, you take a competitive MSTP spot only to drop the PhD and now want some kind of scholarship to pay for your M.D. only? :laugh:

I swear the posts on this forum are getting worse and worse every year.

Seriously, they need to do a better job of screening people who actually know what a PhD entails and are willing to follow through when things get tough. The attrition rate is surprisingly high, I've seen numbers as high as 20%+, which is a massive waste of resources and time for everyone involved.

Seriously, they need to do a better job of screening people who actually know what a PhD entails and are willing to follow through when things get tough. The attrition rate is surprisingly high, I've seen numbers as high as 20%+, which is a massive waste of resources and time for everyone involved.

No....sleep....till....Step 1!