Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Merit Scholarships

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedApp2003, Aug 10, 2002.

1. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did anyone out there get money based solely on merit at any of the topish type schools, or know anyone who did, or know anything about that? I know a couple places potentially give merit money (Duke, Michigan, Wash U, UPenn, Pitt), but was wondering if anyone knew anything about how that worked?

Do you think that totally amazing stats from a tip top undergrad would get someone money somewhere like this, or do you need other things, like amazing ECs, publications, being an URM, etc?

Thanks.

2. Biffer

Biffer The good times doc
    10+ Year Member

I have a friend who is going to penn med for FREE! He had some pretty sweet stats from Penn undergrad: 3.9+ and 43... I think his MCAT score really helped him clinch the $$

-biffer

3. Incendiary

Incendiary Fantabulous Member
    10+ Year Member

Among "topish type schools," Vanderbilt and Mayo also give full rides. Mayo gives at least half-rides to everyone that they accept. I think schools give them out to people with good/great stats, but also to people they want to recruit. Most people I heard of that got UMich scholarships were Asian, so I'm assuming Michigan wants more ethnic diversity.

Also, as far as how they're given out, Michigan, Duke, Penn all give them out without any extra info (Penn even tells you at the time of your acceptance, while the other two wait a while). WashU requires an essay and extra recommendation, if you make the cut to apply. Then, after your extra info is assessed, if you make THAT cut, you go interview. Then you're told within 3-7 days if you got it.

4. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Being an URM helps....

I would not be surprised if someone gets one of those with awesome EC, while another gets an offer because of his or her research background. Some stellar numbers with ok EC or research can still land you one of those. In other words, hard to say. Just apply to those schools and if they deem you qualified, they will offer you something.

BTW, Case Western also has merit based scholarship of 20k/year (Dean's Scholarship).