Merit Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dylann FMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they are very, very few in numbers, but which schools have decent merit scholarships? And what are the criteria? Does anyone know someone who got one?

So far, the only ones I have found were Wash U and Case Western. Don't know the criteria for these, however.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a girl who got a full scholarship at both of my state schools two years ago. I talked to her, and my stats are similar, so I'm hopeful to at least get something. :)

I was offered $10,000/year merit based scholarship at Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor has about 4-5 full 4-year tuition scholarships per class. Criteria (based on my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt) include academic merit, life experiences, and the knowledge that they will likely lose you to other top-ranked schools unless they cough up. It is all very much on the DL, and they generally do not publicize their recruitment scholarships.

Three other schools with more high-profile 4-year awards are Emory (the Woodruff Fellowship, for which you and 11 other accepted applicants interview a second time for 5 awards; those not selected are promised at least 1/4 to 1/2 tuition); Vanderbilt (the Canby Robinson Scholarship, awarded to I think 4-5 students with no separate interview process, based largely on academic qualifications); and Duke (the Nanaline H. Duke award, awarded to 8 students without separate interview; don't know the exact criteria).

Wash U. also has merit scholarships, don't know the criteria. And as previous posters have noted, some state schools offer full and partial merit scholarships; I know that one of the state schools in Tennessee does.
Hope this helps. ;)

UT-Southwestern offers about 25% of their incoming class a $7000/yr scholarship for the first two years of med school.

Mayo gives everyone a half-scholarship. Tuiton currently is 20,500, so at most everyone has to pay 10,250. Then, residents of FL, MN, and AZ save an additional 50% of that. Finally there are two types of full tuition scholarships available for merirt. I am not sure how many are available as they don't disclose that. There is no separate application process and you will be made known of the award at the time of acceptance.