Merits List Chances 3 Year HPSP/ Is the ANY HPSP Left?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garett24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied for a 3 year Army HPSP. I was put on the waitlist or whatever it is called. I was wondering what my chances were in getting in? Do people get in on this waitlist?

Also sorry to rant but after hours of red tape, and I mean HOURS of applying to the AirForce and ARMY I am not getting in it looks like. All I wanted to do was serve. I have a good DAT. I am a single, fit, competent individual that just wanted to serve. I have leadership experience. The process of even applying was excruciating and unprofessional when I weaved it into my class curriculum. I am just so bitter now, but I guess I have to get over it. And I know this sounds conceded but I think they missed out on me. I was ready.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you, but, the HPSP scholarship is a competitive scholarship and there are no guarantees that anyone will be selected. There seems to be a misconception that, if you take the time to apply, you will get the scholarship and that is simply not the case – across all disciplines not just dentistry. For the Army, this is especially true for a three-year scholarships. If you were placed on the Order of Merit List, it is just as it sounds. Your application was rank ordered against everyone else who applied for a three-year scholarship. You may have a strong enough application packet to place you in a position high enough on the list that should enough people turn down the scholarship, you may be afforded the opportunity. Before you ask, no, I don’t know where ANYONE has been placed on the list. Your recruiter may but I doubt it.

Now, if your true motive is to serve, there are several avenues that are still open should you not be selected for the HPSP, but they are all open to you after you graduate. You can apply to the individual Services as a qualified dentist, you can look at working as a Government Service employee in either an active duty station or the Veteran’s Administration, you can look at contracting at either of those places, or, look into the Public Health Service.

Sorry if I came off harsh, and this is not actually directed at you personally. I actually hope that your reasons for wanting to serve are altruistic and I sincerely hope that you get the chance. But the days of any of the three services taking all comer's into HPSP are long gone. It's very competitive and there is a need to say this publically.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I was placed on the waitlist and got the scholarship 2 months later so it's possible, don't lose hope yet.