Merry Christmas to those who are working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that Christmas is merry for all of those who have to work on Christmas instead of being with their families. I hope you meet some interesting people that make the day a bit more enjoyable. Take care and Merry Christmas!

trkd

Members don't see this ad.

Sore throat x 1 year.... total GOMER!

Members don't see this ad :)
Had this one yesterday in our "fast track"

"I took off from work yesterday cause my ankle hurt, can I get a note for yesterday and today?"

I'm working 3p-11p today on Christmas Day, should be interesting to see what shows up. Tomorrow is gonna SUCK!

Q

That's the spirit, folks!

:idea: Hey Quinn, you are just down the street from me. I think I can probably drive over a couple elderly neighbors that have had "acute" osteoarthritis, back pain, dizziness, and "tiredness" for the past 20 years. Let me know if you are interested.

I got the kicker about 20 min ago... "Dizziness x 15 years". Are you kidding me!!!

Just a sampling from today and yesterday

Merry Christmas you've got...

Thyroid cancer
Ovarian cancer
Pancreatic cancer
a ruptured appy
genital warts

Not all in the same patient obviously but still way to ruin your holliday

why is it that everyone who comes into the ed on a holiday is morbidly obese. all my pts tonight are > 100kg with several > 140kg.....
can't imagine why they are short of breath after a huge salty meal on a day they skipped their lasix.....

Last night had a hyphema....secondary to a BB.

I was snickering the whole night: YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

Merry Christmas to these patients I saw yesterday on my 3p-11p:

New L3 metastatic tumor in a 35 year old who has been cancer free for 3 years (cervical ca).
Congrats to a 53 year old who had her appendix taken out at 10PM Christmas Day.
Joy to the world to the 47 year old mother of two who had a "top of the basilar" and probably won't see ever again.

yesterday definately wasn't a "slow" day in the ED, it actually felt like an average day to me, which kind of sucked cause I was hoping for a laid back shift....

Q

And the day after Xmas...
All hell broke loose. Working in the VA ED where there was 1 acute and 2 sub-acute when I walked in at 7:30a, by 10a there were 42 on the board w/ acutes taking up all but 2 of the "primary care" spots.

For whatever reason, I had my clinic scheduled for today as well so I left at noon after admitting 3, d/c'ing 3 and handing off 4 more, all on the acute side. As an off-service person, I've never been so excited to have a clinic day in my life.

Our Xmas Day was fine; a few trauma-room cases, but in the subacute area I like so much, it was no problem. Plenty of food provided by the staff docs; only about five people or so at Triage all day.

Day after, and Oh. My. Gawd. I was in the trauma room (because I'm a friggin' GENIUS). Trauma transfers, a cardioversion, NH patient crumping badly, a youth who was clocked in the head by a large chunk of ice, and a jumper who was gracious enough to have a pulse for the first ten minutes or so of care. I took that long walk through the spooky underground tunnel to the ME's office, and decided that as a tech, I am basically Charon the ferryman of the dead.