Messed Up-Badly- But Rebounded.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blasian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for DO/MD?

Cons:
I started out with a 4.0, then dropped to a 3.7 then dropped to 3.2, then went up to 3.5. Overall ~Mid 3.5ish. Sci ~Low 3.4ish
W in Physics 1.
C+ in Physics 1. (Horrid Professor)
F in Physics 2. (Same Horrible Professor- But you can't blame an F just on professor *I know I have some explaining to do in interviews*) Retook- Got A.
C in Ochem 2.

Obviously- all this happened during Junior Year.

Fast forward- Summer- Took 4 Bio Classes- Upper Div. Got all A's in them.
Fast forward. Fall 08- Took 4 Bio Classes (20 Units) at same time- Retook Physics. Got 3 A's, 2A-s. Total of 5 sci classes
Fast forward. Spring 09- Took 2 Bios, 3 Ge's. Ending up with A's.

Mcats: 12/13/13

My extracurriculars are good- Overseas medical work/ shadowing overseas/ internships are prestigous research institution/ various shadowing in United states/chem ta/chem si leader/anatomy TA/honors frat/graduate with honors/volunteer orgs/ good recs from doctors and teachers/ ETC ETC. (not worried about my ECs)

All other pre-reqs have A's in them.

Fast forward to now. I was so worried about my chances because of F, and C's that I took the DAT, because if I wasn't going to be a doctor. Might as well be a dentist. (I have done dental work EC's so not worried about this either)

DAT Scores.

25/24/22

To be honest. I want to be a doctor, but I took the DATS just in case- *you know what I mean*. If i apply to medical schools- will schools see that I took the DAT? I know thats bad, because they want students that are focused primarily on medicine...

That being said- If I were to go into dentistry- should I mention my MCAT scores- because the MCAT has physics on it. It sort of proved that I got my butt in gear and learned the material.

Sigh- and Im URM- Biracial. Viet/White. Just another pre-health freaking out-

I guess I'm great at memorizing random Bio Facts- but terrible at the math thing. Ochem I got screwed on. Long story made short- the average for our class of 70 students was... an 80 percent without the curve. Thats in OCHEM 2. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
they won't see the DAT score unless you flash them with it. You look fine, apply broadly. How does your GPA stay at 3.2 if you get a F, C, C+. should be fine though

Oh I started junior yr with a 3.7- and got those grades- and it went down to a 3.2

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a pre-dental forum on SDN. They could answer your dentist-related questions. I have no idea what your DAT scores mean.

Med schools won't know you took the DAT unless you apply to both programs at the same school.

I think that for AMCAS purposes, you'd be considered asian, which is over-represented in medicine, even if you are descended from a minority population in Viet Nam.

I think your C+ in Physics I and F in Physics II are redeemd by the retake A. The C in OChem II might be a problem at some schools, unless you took Biochem and did better. But you might be OK because the MCAT score proves you understood it.

So what is your overall GPA from all post-high school institutions? What is your BCPM GPA? Include the F since AMCAS will.

Ah crap- I guess everyone is misunderstanding what I mean by the 4-3.7-3.2-3.5. The 3.5 is what I ended up with OVERALL. Like I started out with a 4.0, then dropped to a 3.7 then dropped to 3.2, then went up to 3.5.

Overall Cum ~Mid 3.5ish
Overall Sci should be ~Low 3.4ish

Edit, I see those are cumulative GPAs you listed, so you'd apply with a 3.5. You might not be accepted to the most selective schools, but you'll surely get in somewhere. I think you have a good chance at an allo school and at DO schools as well..

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

with a 38 mcat you should get in somewhere

Edit, I see those are cumulative GPAs you listed, so you'd apply with a 3.5. You might not be accepted to the most selective schools, but you'll surely get in somewhere.

high five

Thanks alot guys- I guess, I'll post this on MD-Apps. Hopefully I'll get in. -_-