Messed up first year chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoy99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be applying to med school during the summer of 2015 and I just had a question as to how I stack up.
First Year:
Term 1: Physics C-, Chemistry C, Evolutionary Biology B, Psychology B (cognitive thinking), Calculus for life sciences B
Term 2: Chemistry A-, Cell Biology A-, Micro Econ A, Macro Econ, B+, Psych B+ (Anatomy)

Second Year:
Term 1: Life science A, Statistics A+, Enviro course A, another enviro course A, Orgo 1 B

I know I messed up first year first term, but do you think that will hold me back? Also, what about the C- in physics should I retake that? For term 2 I have a few more science related courses and those are going well, expecting a 3.8+ gpa just like first term of year 2. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I will be applying to med school during the summer of 2015 and I just had a question as to how I stack up.
First Year:
Term 1: Physics C-, Chemistry C, Evolutionary Biology B, Psychology B (cognitive thinking), Calculus for life sciences B
Term 2: Chemistry A-, Cell Biology A-, Micro Econ A, Macro Econ, B+, Psych B+ (Anatomy)

Second Year:
Term 1: Life science A, Statistics A+, Enviro course A, another enviro course A, Orgo 1 B

I know I messed up first year first term, but do you think that will hold me back? Also, what about the C- in physics should I retake that? For term 2 I have a few more science related courses and those are going well, expecting a 3.8+ gpa just like first term of year 2. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks!
Use the gpa calculator in the stickey above and just get A's from now on. Come back with results.

Year 1 GPA is a 3.02, Year 2 GPA term 1 is a 3.82, as a Canadian applying I understand I will be getting bumped quite considerably as some of my year 1 and year 2 marks are As

Members don't see this ad :)
Year 1 GPA is a 3.02, Year 2 GPA term 1 is a 3.82, as a Canadian applying I understand I will be getting bumped quite considerably as some of my year 1 and year 2 marks are As
Oh, sorry. I didn't know you are international. We put a lot of emphasis on the MCAT in the US. You have plenty of time to overcome your weak gpa start. Your real obstacle is your international status. Only the DO schools replace re-takes with a subsequent grade. MD schools just average them.

I was also wondering, if I decide to apply as African-American status, would I need to provide proof of this? I ask this because my great grandfather was African and to find documentation verifying that would be extremely difficult.

I was also wondering, if I decide to apply as African-American status, would I need to provide proof of this? I ask this because my great grandfather was African and to find documentation verifying that would be extremely difficult.
No. Just your self identification. It helps if your have shown a commitment to this community, though. Working for a group that needs medical care is more powerful than just being a member.

Sorry for all of the questions but, when you say self identification do you mean ID or just the check mark in the box where it would ask me?

Thank god, because I don't look that least part African at all. Thank you both, I really appreciate it :)

Thank god, because I don't look that least part African at all. Thank you both, I really appreciate it :)
It's even more important, then, that there is evidence of your identification in other parts of your application. We all have actual members of these groups evaluate you. Using racial identity for an advantage is often viewed harshly by one's peers...

It can turn out to be a big disadvantage to do this. This will backfire big time at my school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user