1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Messed up in Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by woodbj2, Apr 27, 2004.

1. woodbj2

woodbj2 Junior Member

OK here is a story.... tell me some endings

I applied to 5 dental schools (tufts, iusd, usc, nova, md)

MD is my home state

Im part of the below 3.0 club with a 2.8 science 3.1 cum double major in bio and chem

DAT 17/19/15

ok i did all the other stuff to a tee.

I realize im batting from behind but I got a couple interviews- that went well

rejected from iusd waiting on usc

no interview reject at tufts and nova- scumbags

ok enuff of that here is the story....

after md interview in feb they told me wait till late march to see what adcom says- march comes and goes with no word

then I asked them when would the next time the adcom would meet they said after april 1....boy was i the fool

I emailed, called,snail mail the whole nine yards and still not have heard anything (well one time they told me they were not a mcdonalds and I shouldnt expect "instant gratification" and i should relax)....except

They sent me a letter congradulating me for being considered an instate resident for dental school term fall year 04 with a student number and everything
    The letter seemed like a acceptance...

but i havent been rejected
    havent been accepted
    no waitlist
    no word

Am i alone what should i expect

2. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Just to be on the safe side, I would start preparing for the next app cycle. It sucks, but least you'll be ready to go with the next round. Second thing I would do is take the DAT again. With your GPA you're gonna need higher than a 17AA to have a chance. I would study like hell for at least 1.5 months and try to get a 19 or better.

Here is the end of the story, you retake the DAT(unless you get in, but I would plan for the worst case scenario to be safe) rock a 20 on it and get in to a number of schools.JMHO

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    This is normal and has nothing to do with acceptance/rejection. I got the same letter when I applied to grad school at UMAB.

I hope you hear some good news soon :luck: I would heed the other posters' advice, though.

4. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

Well, UMB gets to me quite late.
    I interviewed in January and received a letter saying that they havent made a decision yet. Then in April, they finally gave me acceptance. It takes them 3 months to process. And it is still early to tell whether you will or will not get in. School doesnt start till August. so hang in there. Meanwhile, I would update your grades and other things that you have done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Aurora

Aurora Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey!

You are not alone! Same thing happened (or rather is happening) to me :mad: I interviewed at UMaryland in February...and I'm a Maryland resident and I still haven't heard anything from them. Everytime I call they say they are still processing my application! I've gotten extremely frustated. I'm in kind of a better situation...because I have gotten into other schools...but Maryland is still my first choice. I also got the letter saying that I was an instate resident, blah blah.

I was also excited about May 1st! Because the second deposit was due on May 1st from the people that were accepted. But I didn't here anything.

My recommendation to you is to re-take the DAT. You need higher scores to be competitive...especially since your GPA is low. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm studying my ass off. Even though I got accepted to Tufts and BU I'm thinking of re-applying next year because I want to stay in Maryland or at least closer to here.

Did you take a Kaplan class for the DAT? Do you have Topscore?

PM me if you want to study together.

:luck: Hope we both get in this year!

6. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

Auro
    what was your score on the DAT?

7. Aurora

Aurora Member
    5+ Year Member

AA 18
    PAT 17
    QR 17
    Bio 19
    Chem 19
    OChem 12 :(
    RC 23

8. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Aurora, I know I'm not always the most serious poster on here(I was kidding with you in the Dating in D school forum). However, I would go to school where you get in, blowing a year to go to Maryland is not worth it. I know that if I had gotten in to only my 3rd choice, I'd be on my way there in a heartbeat.

9. Aurora

Aurora Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi Calculus,

Yeah...I agree with you. Besides I might not get into Maryland next year either. And it is a waste of a year.

Well...the reason that I want to stay and reapply to Maryland is because I want to stay near my bf. We'll see what happens. I'm going to re-take my DAT and see how I do...and then decide on if I want to reapply next year.

I still haven't heard from UMaryland...so I'm still hopeful for this year!

Aurora

10. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I hope you get in to MD, but you've got a winning lottery ticket that a lot of people didn't even get. If my girlfriend got into professional school away from me, I wouldn't let her stick around.

11. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Good advice. It is a winning lottery ticket in one's life time.

I have to leave my wife and 2 kids half way around the globe to attend dental school in Cleveland. :mad:

Good luck with MD school