Messed up in Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodbj2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK here is a story.... tell me some endings

I applied to 5 dental schools (tufts, iusd, usc, nova, md)

MD is my home state

Im part of the below 3.0 club with a 2.8 science 3.1 cum double major in bio and chem

DAT 17/19/15

ok i did all the other stuff to a tee.

I realize im batting from behind but I got a couple interviews- that went well

rejected from iusd waiting on usc

no interview reject at tufts and nova- scumbags

ok enuff of that here is the story....

after md interview in feb they told me wait till late march to see what adcom says- march comes and goes with no word

then I asked them when would the next time the adcom would meet they said after april 1....boy was i the fool

I emailed, called,snail mail the whole nine yards and still not have heard anything (well one time they told me they were not a mcdonalds and I shouldnt expect "instant gratification" and i should relax)....except

They sent me a letter congradulating me for being considered an instate resident for dental school term fall year 04 with a student number and everything
The letter seemed like a acceptance...

but i havent been rejected
havent been accepted
no waitlist
no word

Am i alone what should i expect

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be on the safe side, I would start preparing for the next app cycle. It sucks, but least you'll be ready to go with the next round. Second thing I would do is take the DAT again. With your GPA you're gonna need higher than a 17AA to have a chance. I would study like hell for at least 1.5 months and try to get a 19 or better.

Here is the end of the story, you retake the DAT(unless you get in, but I would plan for the worst case scenario to be safe) rock a 20 on it and get in to a number of schools.JMHO

woodbj2 said:
They sent me a letter congradulating me for being considered an instate resident for dental school term fall year 04 with a student number and everything

This is normal and has nothing to do with acceptance/rejection. I got the same letter when I applied to grad school at UMAB.

I hope you hear some good news soon :luck: I would heed the other posters' advice, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, UMB gets to me quite late.
I interviewed in January and received a letter saying that they havent made a decision yet. Then in April, they finally gave me acceptance. It takes them 3 months to process. And it is still early to tell whether you will or will not get in. School doesnt start till August. so hang in there. Meanwhile, I would update your grades and other things that you have done.

woodbj2 said:
OK here is a story.... tell me some endings

I applied to 5 dental schools (tufts, iusd, usc, nova, md)

MD is my home state

Im part of the below 3.0 club with a 2.8 science 3.1 cum double major in bio and chem

DAT 17/19/15

ok i did all the other stuff to a tee.

I realize im batting from behind but I got a couple interviews- that went well

rejected from iusd waiting on usc

no interview reject at tufts and nova- scumbags

ok enuff of that here is the story....

after md interview in feb they told me wait till late march to see what adcom says- march comes and goes with no word

then I asked them when would the next time the adcom would meet they said after april 1....boy was i the fool

I emailed, called,snail mail the whole nine yards and still not have heard anything (well one time they told me they were not a mcdonalds and I shouldnt expect "instant gratification" and i should relax)....except

but i havent been rejected
havent been accepted
no waitlist
no word

Am i alone what should i expect

Hey!

You are not alone! Same thing happened (or rather is happening) to me :mad: I interviewed at UMaryland in February...and I'm a Maryland resident and I still haven't heard anything from them. Everytime I call they say they are still processing my application! I've gotten extremely frustated. I'm in kind of a better situation...because I have gotten into other schools...but Maryland is still my first choice. I also got the letter saying that I was an instate resident, blah blah.

I was also excited about May 1st! Because the second deposit was due on May 1st from the people that were accepted. But I didn't here anything.

My recommendation to you is to re-take the DAT. You need higher scores to be competitive...especially since your GPA is low. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm studying my ass off. Even though I got accepted to Tufts and BU I'm thinking of re-applying next year because I want to stay in Maryland or at least closer to here.

Did you take a Kaplan class for the DAT? Do you have Topscore?

PM me if you want to study together.

:luck: Hope we both get in this year!

Auro
what was your score on the DAT?

Awuah29 said:
Auro
what was your score on the DAT?

AA 18
PAT 17
QR 17
Bio 19
Chem 19
OChem 12 :(
RC 23

Aurora, I know I'm not always the most serious poster on here(I was kidding with you in the Dating in D school forum). However, I would go to school where you get in, blowing a year to go to Maryland is not worth it. I know that if I had gotten in to only my 3rd choice, I'd be on my way there in a heartbeat.

Calculus1 said:
Aurora, I know I'm not always the most serious poster on here(I was kidding with you in the Dating in D school forum). However, I would go to school where you get in, blowing a year to go to Maryland is not worth it. I know that if I had gotten in to only my 3rd choice, I'd be on my way there in a heartbeat.

Hi Calculus,

Yeah...I agree with you. Besides I might not get into Maryland next year either. And it is a waste of a year.

Well...the reason that I want to stay and reapply to Maryland is because I want to stay near my bf. We'll see what happens. I'm going to re-take my DAT and see how I do...and then decide on if I want to reapply next year.

I still haven't heard from UMaryland...so I'm still hopeful for this year!

Aurora

I hope you get in to MD, but you've got a winning lottery ticket that a lot of people didn't even get. If my girlfriend got into professional school away from me, I wouldn't let her stick around.

Calculus1 said:
I hope you get in to MD, but you've got a winning lottery ticket that a lot of people didn't even get. If my girlfriend got into professional school away from me, I wouldn't let her stick around.

Good advice. It is a winning lottery ticket in one's life time.

I have to leave my wife and 2 kids half way around the globe to attend dental school in Cleveland. :mad:

Good luck with MD school