Messed up Job Title on Primary/Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PretendDirection

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

so I messed up the title of my current job in my primary application and some of the secondaries I've sent out so far. I've been listing that I was hired as a Research Associate, but my actual title is Research Assistant. It was entirely a mistake, albeit a stupid one, and I didn't know there was a difference until recently I learned an assistant is a step above technician, while an associate generally has an advanced degree already. I'm not sure if this is a small wording error that will be overlooked, or if when I send updates to schools I should mention the oversight and the correct title of my job. But I'm freaking out a bit right now.

Members don't see this ad.

so I messed up the title of my current job in my primary application and some of the secondaries I've sent out so far. I've been listing that I was hired as a Research Associate, but my actual title is Research Assistant. It was entirely a mistake, albeit a stupid one, and I didn't know there was a difference until recently I learned an assistant is a step above technician, while an associate generally has an advanced degree already. I'm not sure if this is a small wording error that will be overlooked, or if when I send updates to schools I should mention the oversight and the correct title of my job. But I'm freaking out a bit right now.
Adcomms aren't going to know how your institution defines those words. They are pretty much synonymous at a lot of places. Your concern is a non-issue. Do not send updates.

I was a research associate somewhere and I was a freshman in college. These are defined differently depending where you are. They’ll care more about the description than the title

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile