Messed up my first year of college and more... What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddymaxi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have attached my freshman year at UCI grades. Can anyone tell me what are my chances or how bad these are?...

I was expecting to be able to show an "uphill trend" because I knew I needed to do way better this year (sophomore year) but then my father passed away....I figured I could focus on school to get my mind off of it but unfortunately that didn't work and I had to submit Incompletes towards the end of fall quarter 2014 and I am not doing so well this winter quarter 2015 and I'm just stuck on what to do and so afraid of failing my chances to get into med school. I know I can do it and I talked to an advisor she suggested to take time off but I refused because I did not want to get off track with he series of science classes and I just hate the idea of taking off school.

With that said, any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

You're okay right now -- and you have plenty of time to turn things around -- though it looks like you're underperforming a bit across the board. Figure out where you're falling short now so that you can work on doing better. Thinking back to your first year... was it your schedule? the way you studied? Too much partying? Do you have some insight now being out a bit? You should continue to talk to talk to academic advisors and get their input.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Was your entire Fall 2014 incomplete? Where is this semester heading so far? Almost regardless, I agree with the advisor that this may be something that warrants taking some time off of school to get your life back on track. Being in a good mindset is much more important than being on a good course "track".

Lastly... you might want to edit out that copy of your actual transcript, as it is somewhat identifiable to anyone in the know. :)

Overall, it's too early to say what your chances are. However, I do think you have plenty of time to make something of your remaining time in undergrad... but that might require some time away from school to get back on track.

Just start working on good grades now, with a few good retakes your DO gpa will skyrocket. If you nail everything, you moght even get into MD range. Don't stress the past

Seek out your school's counseling center. You have issues you need to fix in order to achieve your full potential.

I have attached my freshman year at UCI grades. Can anyone tell me what are my chances or how bad these are?...

I was expecting to be able to show an "uphill trend" because I knew I needed to do way better this year (sophomore year) but then my father passed away....I figured I could focus on school to get my mind off of it but unfortunately that didn't work and I had to submit Incompletes towards the end of fall quarter 2014 and I am not doing so well this winter quarter 2015 and I'm just stuck on what to do and so afraid of failing my chances to get into med school. I know I can do it and I talked to an advisor she suggested to take time off but I refused because I did not want to get off track with he series of science classes and I just hate the idea of taking off school.

With that said, any advice??