Messed up on my PFA during my first year of service.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiataoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2nd failure for the PFA (couldn't do enough pushups) 1 year into my Navy service obligation in the Dental Corps. I know I screwed up, fitness has been a struggle for me my entire life, and I'm intent on getting my ass in gear.

My command never got around to putting me on FEP, but once my bosses (DIVO and DH) found out I failed, they basically threatened me with separation. I got a bad day chit and will try again on Thursday. I guess I'm just wondering what will happen to me if I fail my re-try. To clarify I have 100% desire to at least finish out my service obligation.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your command and the higher-ups. I understand that you have struggled with physical fitness, but this has been a recurring event twice a year for a long time. There really isn't an excuse; if you fail, you will deal with the consequences whatever they may be. Focus on passing so that it isn't an issue.

Its an empty threat their was a memo that even with multiple failures ad member will fulfill their obligation but without possibilty of extension

Members don't see this ad :)
1D807023-DD1B-4CB9-93FB-BE8655DEB569.jpeg

Big Hoss

After doing some research I did find section 7c on DoDI 6000.13, page 29, individuals not affected. Was there a newer version of this instruction released later? Obviously I won't be trying to test anyone or stand out but it would be a little comfort to know the "law" is on my side in this case.

Is there some type of injury or medical condition that prevents you from practicing and passing the PFA? If not then it’s just a matter of getting out there to run and do push-ups and planks as well as maintaining healthy diet. It’s not hard if you are a relatively healthy person…

I’d stop wasting time researching and start practicing and focus on passing.

After doing some research I did find section 7c on DoDI 6000.13, page 29, individuals not affected. Was there a newer version of this instruction released later? Obviously I won't be trying to test anyone or stand out but it would be a little comfort to know the "law" is on my side in this case.

The wording is ambiguous. Secretary concerned MAY retain the officer. Ultimately the decision is up to the command and Millington.

Push-ups and core. Get on FEP and pass a PRT before your ADSEP is processed and you will get a special FITREP and can stay in.

Didn't remember to update until now but I did end up passing, thanks for the replies everyone.
Currently working on my 5k time for the FMF pin!

Funny enough when I was checking out of Virginia the DDS made a comment "yeah we used to kick people out for failing that but not anymore" so I guess now we know lol.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users