Messed Up This Semester At End of Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CZDreaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm running into a bit of a conundrum and I'm not sure how to proceed. My stats up till now are:

uGPA: 3.6
post bacc GPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7

This semester I took Gen Chem II and O Chem II and it is very likely that I will end up with B's if not C's in both. I have A's in basically everything else (B+ in Physics II lecture and B in statistics). I had a VERY rough semester and I can officially say I'm completely burnt out and having a hard time getting my motivation back.

As far as ECs and volunteering go, I have 300+ hours volunteering, I've been a full time ED scribe for 1 year, and I'm currently involved in clinical research. I know that I love medicine and it is the only place that I want to be.

I'm really freaking out about my grades this semester and I'm worried that I've completely messed up my chances to get into a DO or MD school. I still have Ochem II lab, gen chem II lab, biochem, and genetics to do, and quite honestly, I'm not sure that I have the stamina to do them next semester. I am so disheartened by the way things turned out this semester.

Any advice on how I should proceed? Should I retake the two chems or just keep moving forward? I'm also very seriously starting to consider whether to go the physician assistant route...

Members don't see this ad.

If you can retake the two chemistry classes then I would recommend you to do so. You can then at least show improvements in your gpa. However if this is impossible then I would urge you to keep moving on. You never know what next semester might offer. I believe though you will be motivated than ever before and pull off an impressive feat with your gpa. Don't give up until you have finished until the end. Also don't consider PA route until you have finished post-bac and applied to med schools. So again, don't give up my friend!

I am no expert but I really don't think it's the end of the world if you get two C's. If you get two B's then you are totally fine. I sometimes read the plain old pre-med allo forum and a lot of people have around a 3.5 gpa. It's something you can work with--take other classes as you apply to bring it up, etc.

Whether or not you take next semester off though depends on how you really think this will impact you. For me, doing poorly on something kind of wakes me up (I did horribly on my orgo I midterm, now I am like an orgo I wizard...well...let's hope). I can get complacent if I do well all the time. On the other hand, I also do wonderfully when I've had a big long break. I studied 12 hours a day for my first two summer courses because I had been playing with my parents' dogs for 4 months prior and had a lot of energy ;-). You might just consider going lighter next semester. I, for example, am just taking the 3 courses and doing some translating on the side. My classmates (undergrads) kind of look at me like I'm lazy, but this is what I need to not get burnt out and do well.

Anyway don't get too discouraged because a lot of the non-trads on here seem to ace their post-bacs. You aren't pulling your ugrad gpa up from a 2.8 or something and have time to take more classes and pull it up as you apply. You also have a chance to make it up on the MCAT!

Hi Everyone,

So I'm running into a bit of a conundrum and I'm not sure how to proceed. My stats up till now are:

uGPA: 3.6
post bacc GPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7

This semester I took Gen Chem II and O Chem II and it is very likely that I will end up with B's if not C's in both. I have A's in basically everything else (B+ in Physics II lecture and B in statistics). I had a VERY rough semester and I can officially say I'm completely burnt out and having a hard time getting my motivation back.

As far as ECs and volunteering go, I have 300+ hours volunteering, I've been a full time ED scribe for 1 year, and I'm currently involved in clinical research. I know that I love medicine and it is the only place that I want to be.

I'm really freaking out about my grades this semester and I'm worried that I've completely messed up my chances to get into a DO or MD school. I still have Ochem II lab, gen chem II lab, biochem, and genetics to do, and quite honestly, I'm not sure that I have the stamina to do them next semester. I am so disheartened by the way things turned out this semester.

Any advice on how I should proceed? Should I retake the two chems or just keep moving forward? I'm also very seriously starting to consider whether to go the physician assistant route...

Dude, if you really want to do this, this is where you hunker down and pull through in the face of setbacks! Don't let it get to you. Plenty of people make it in to medical school with your grades.