Messed up with my LOR...how to proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind and would love some insight on the best way to proceed. I was complete at all of my schools during the month of August. However, I was just told by one medical school in particular (who requires 3 science LORs) that 1 of my science LORs will not be accepted as my professor did not print the letter on letterhead, sign it, nor date it.

Obviously, I had no idea that this was the case and the remainder of my schools to which this LOR was submitted marked my file complete without any email. I contacted my professor to obtain a corrected LOR; however, he's on sabbatical and has not responded to my email.

Fortunately, another professor of mine from this summer has agreed to write me an LOR knowing that I'm on a time crunch. How do I go about contacting schools to remove/substitute LOR A for LOR B? I will be adding it to my AMCAS application for each medical school, but should I be emailing admissions to let them know as well now or once the new LOR is ready?

Apologies for the long-windedness of my post, it's an unfortunate situation and I hope I can get it rectified soon.

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind and would love some insight on the best way to proceed. I was complete at all of my schools during the month of August. However, I was just told by one medical school in particular (who requires 3 science LORs) that 1 of my science LORs will not be accepted as my professor did not print the letter on letterhead, sign it, nor date it.

Obviously, I had no idea that this was the case and the remainder of my schools to which this LOR was submitted marked my file complete without any email. I contacted my professor to obtain a corrected LOR; however, he's on sabbatical and has not responded to my email.

Fortunately, another professor of mine from this summer has agreed to write me an LOR knowing that I'm on a time crunch. How do I go about contacting schools to remove/substitute LOR A for LOR B? I will be adding it to my AMCAS application for each medical school, but should I be emailing admissions to let them know as well now or once the new LOR is ready?

Apologies for the long-windedness of my post, it's an unfortunate situation and I hope I can get it rectified soon.

Which school requires 3 science letters?

@lexswift EVMS, LSU-NOLA, MCW are a few on the top of my head...some of them require 3 and some require 2 undergrad and 1 grad

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Almost the exact same thing happened to me (a professor didn't print the letter on letterhead):/ Just resubmit the new letter and email/call every school about it. It wasn't an issue for me.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me (a professor didn't print the letter on letterhead):/ Just resubmit the new letter and email/call every school about it. It wasn't an issue for me.

Thanks so much! Did you resubmit the letter through AMCAS or did you individually send it to each school via Interfolio? I'm using Interfolio if that makes a difference.

Hi everyone,

I would keep trying to get in contact with the original writer, I'm sure they would be happy to just copy and paste what they wrote to the appropriate letterhead if you could get in contact with them. Here's what I would do, talk to the department's administrative assistant (or if they are not helpful try the department head), explain the situation and ask what's the best way to get in touch with him being as though he probably left alternative contact info with the department prior to the start of his leave. I'm sure they would be happy to give up this information or maybe more appropriately would be happy to contact him (if its personal like his cell #) directly to tell him to get in touch with you.

Of course if in a few days it doesn't result in a contact, then I would go down the alternative path etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much! Did you resubmit the letter through AMCAS or did you individually send it to each school via Interfolio? I'm using Interfolio if that makes a difference.
I submitted the letter through AMCAS as usual because my pre-med office took care of letters, but I imagine it shouldn't make a difference if you use Interfolio!