IH8ColdWeath3r

7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone,
I've been reading the EK Bio book and the first chapter covers the basics of metabolism and cellular respiration. For those of you who have taken the MCAT, or any of the AAMC FL practice exams for that matter, would you say that you see this stuff heavily on there? If so, what should i focus on when covering and thoroughly gaining an understanding about metabolism?

I mean, should I be focusing on big picture, like glycolysis occurs in the cytosol and breaks down glucose into two pyruvate? OR should specifics, like Krebs cycle produces 2ATP, 6NADH, 2 FADH, the coenzymes are oxidized after pumping protons into the inner membrane space, if O2 is not available (anaerobic respiration) takes place and pyruvate is the terminal electron acceptor? What should I know/cover? and with how much emphasis on detail? what is relevant and appears on the MCAT?

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I didn't have questions on that topic on my MCAT but that doesn't mean you won't. I do believe you are supposed to know the numbers like you said, where the protons go, and when oxygen is needed. If EK doesn't have it italicized, it's a safe bet that you should know it. They really don't make you learn extraneous information.

Drexon

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Southern California
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,
I've been reading the EK Bio book and the first chapter covers the basics of metabolism and cellular respiration. For those of you who have taken the MCAT, or any of the AAMC FL practice exams for that matter, would you say that you see this stuff heavily on there? If so, what should i focus on when covering and thoroughly gaining an understanding about metabolism?

I mean, should I be focusing on big picture, like glycolysis occurs in the cytosol and breaks down glucose into two pyruvate? OR should specifics, like Krebs cycle produces 2ATP, 6NADH, 2 FADH

Please be careful here this is wrong... the krebs cycle doesn't "produce 2 ATP , 6 NADH , 2 FADH" . the cycle itself turns once per pyruvate molecule . therefore with one glucose molecule -> 2 pyruvate which turns the Krebs cycle 2x . Just making sure you not only understand the distinction but to also get into the habit of correcting you knowledge that you're presenting or else it might come back trip you up on the exam where it truly matters.

, the coenzymes are oxidized after pumping protons into the inner membrane space, if O2 is not available (anaerobic respiration) takes place and pyruvate is the terminal electron acceptor? What should I know/cover? and with how much emphasis on detail? what is relevant and appears on the MCAT?
Like NYR56 said you never truly know what you're going to get for the test. Sometimes it is those general concepts and sometimes it's those nitty gritty questions. Frankly speaking no one has the authority to tell you what you should and shouldn't know for the test because we're not making the tests. But here's another thought, test companies do tell you want you need to know and they cover their bases pretty well. There is a reason why they spend x,y,z amount of time going over the entire mechanism of glucose metabolism or any other system is because they want you to have the biggest advantage for the test. Sometimes that advantage is from knowing those tiny details. It's just some food for thought.

But alas i wish you the best of luck studying !