Metabolism sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in undergrad we had to memorize every enzyme and every structure and every name of all the basic pathways. However we never really looked at the whole thing the way we are doing here in med school. Now it is more of a macroscopic view with how the organs play roles and the regulatory steps with each type of metabolite.

So I find myself getting confused, and although I did do the pathways in undergrad I have forgotten most of them. Are there any good websites that kind of simplify things in the same fashion that we need to know macroscopically?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

these things always make me wanna blow something up but they're kind of helpful for getting a big picture point of view:

http://www.expasy.org/cgi-bin/show_thumbnails.pl

unfortunately these things are pretty much impossible to read on a computer.

The final page of each chapter in Lippincott's usually has a good overview.

Ultimately though biochem is complicated and there's no easy way.

I try to apply and connect the pathways to daily events. IE when you eat something think about the content of what you're eating (proteins, lipids, carbs) where it gets digested. When you exercise think about the stages of energy metabolism, what gets used (ATP, creatine, glycogen debranching enzymes blah blah).

I'm interested in other people's replies too because we have a biochem final in a week and a half. I haven't found anything that summarizes better than Lippincott's but if there's a site out there I'd also appreciate the link. peace. :cool:

Why don't you just draw all the pathways you need to know interconnected on a whiteboard? Then just learn which organs' cells express the critical enzymes.

There's a lot of material in metabolism, but at least most of the stuff makes sense (except for AMP-Kinase, I hate that damn enzyme).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with turkeyjerky--just draw out all the pathways one by one over and over again until it becomes second nature for you. There's no rhyme or reason that is helpful to you for why one enzyme comes before the other in a pathway--you just gotta memorize it.