methods of group study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watevz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am wondering if you all could recommend some good GROUP STUDY methods that are useful for medical school.
I would like to incorporate more group study in my 2nd year of med school. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

watevz said:
Hi
I am wondering if you all could recommend some good GROUP STUDY methods that are useful for medical school.
I would like to incorporate more group study in my 2nd year of med school. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

What worked for me is to just sit around with my classmates and talk through the lectures one by one. We all had the powerpoints downloaded on our computer and we read through the slides and discussed what was important about each slide. It worked for us...

Similar to TheRussian, I had very successful group studying efforts with two other people. For some reason three just seemed to work the best. After studying the lecture notes individually, we would sit around and each explain what we thought was important from the material, and try to guess high yield info. We each scored a lot of extra points using each other's input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't started medical school yet, but I would assume that the same tactics used for group study in undergrad science classes would also apply. I prefer question answer formats because I feel it's a more active process, whether you're quizzing another member, or asking them to explain something you don't understand - teaching the material to someone else is one of the best ways to reinforce it. Granted most of the material is memorized, but you can make it more interesting by picking a process - for example a biochemical pathway, and name the steps backwards, going around in a circle. Or for anatomy, name all the bones of the body going from head to toe and back, in order. Reviewing things backwards is also a great way to reinforce material. If you link things as such in your mind to the step or part before and after it, it easier to recall rather than memorizing it randomly out of order.

watevz said:
Hi

What I found to work very well. I would independently study the materials until I feel fairly comfortable with it, perhaps in my short term memory. Then, I would meet up with a group of 2-4 people, which I assume have not studied as much as I have or is less prepared. then have them ask questions. The stuff i know or remember, I discuss and explain with them.. the stuff i'm unfamiliar with, I assume I missed, i study on the spot and explain to them (if i can comprehend myself)... Best method of studying ever, for me at least... got me through many many many many last minute review for exams :D .

worked for undergrad, may not for med school