metrohealth/case western, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaunita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any info on this program as far as atmosphere, rep, resident satisfaction etc. thanks. anybody interview there yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a friend there right now. She likes it... although she sez she's had to work with some pretty anal Case med students. :D

Strong academics. Reputation of a tough-working residency. err... I think university/inner-city patient mix. You fly a lot.

Cleveland = quintissential blue-collar, rust-belt, Midwestern city. Low cost of living. Some nice areas to live within short commute to the hospital.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt MikeCWRU an alum or currently there? Maybe PM him with your preguntas... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer - I did not go to Case
Anyway - Case students as a rule may be somewhat anal (I mean these unfortunate souls are spending $40 k a year - so its hard to blame 'em) however the residency does a pretty job in filling the residency with clinically competent folks who are enjoyable to work with - and currently there are only 4 case grads in the 3 resident classes (yes there are 3 in the R1 class).

We do a lot of procedures early on in the residency (i.e the R3s have done so many intubations that they hand them off to the 'terns)

The atmosphere is generally good. As has been recently stated "this is not a country club residency..." and its not.

Cleveland is a decent place to live - at least it hasn't snowed yet - but you wouldn't mistake it for the Bay Area.

Almost all residencies in EM are good; your happiness in residency will largely be determined by how happy you are at work and at whatever you do for recreation - and how happy you are at work has a lot to do with how well you get along with the people you work with (i.e the residents, attendings, nurses, etc.)

We're well trained in EM but I think we do work harder than some other programs. Our residents are fun and we joke around constantly, especially this AF Shaft, which is probably the biggest reason besides location/family that someone should choose residency. I've done a lot more procedures/stuff than my friend who is ahead of me at Pitt.

Clinically, the only training complaint that I can pull out of my orafice is that our ICU pts go up fairly fast compared to the national average, so you're not doing a lot of "ICU in the ER" but you went into EM, not internal medicine. We do unit months anyway and occasionally you'll have one stuck down. I actually see this as a blessing.

We also have good ortho/rads guys, so if you are lazy, you can end up letting them do everything and not learning. You have to be proactive and read your own films BEFORE talking to rads and seeing if you're correct, and do the complex ortho stuff with ortho while they're down or do the simple reductions/splints and give them a courtesy call.

You're handing procedures if you're aggressive like shaft and I, off as second years. I'm already giving easy little old ladies to interns, passing off lines, etc. We have very organized ultrasound training and FASTs, aortas, U/S guided peripheral and central lines are old hat and the U/S guys are into stuff like guided nerve blocks, etc. You'll get plenty of experience with this.

I ranked the place number one.

mike

shaft said:
Disclaimer - I did not go to Case
Anyway - Case students as a rule may be somewhat anal (I mean these unfortunate souls are spending $40 k a year - so its hard to blame 'em) however the residency does a pretty job in filling the residency with clinically competent folks who are enjoyable to work with - and currently there are only 4 case grads in the 3 resident classes (yes there are 3 in the R1 class).

We do a lot of procedures early on in the residency (i.e the R3s have done so many intubations that they hand them off to the 'terns)

The atmosphere is generally good. As has been recently stated "this is not a country club residency..." and its not.

Cleveland is a decent place to live - at least it hasn't snowed yet - but you wouldn't mistake it for the Bay Area.

Almost all residencies in EM are good; your happiness in residency will largely be determined by how happy you are at work and at whatever you do for recreation - and how happy you are at work has a lot to do with how well you get along with the people you work with (i.e the residents, attendings, nurses, etc.)